Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VBulletin Upgrade Errors

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default VBulletin Upgrade Errors

This thread is to post any errors that you run into now that the site has been upgraded to vb4.2.5. If you want to discuss the server updates please use the existing Server Updates thread.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: VBulletin Upgrade Errors

hey
    while short posts are fully editable and you can enter the "go advanced" feature, that's not possible for longer and more complex posts.
    Im tying to edit this OP (for example: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ITH-DeI-1-2-4a) and I can't go to the "go advanced" feature nor I can save changes as this message pops up.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    hey
    while short posts are fully editable and you can enter the "go advanced" feature, that's not possible for longer and more complex posts.
    Im tying to edit this OP (for example: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ITH-DeI-1-2-4a) and I can't go to the "go advanced" feature nor I can save changes as this message pops up.
    Have you tried to quote your post then compose a new PM without sending a PM, just to be able to preview your post while editing it?

After you have edit the post then copy the whole post and edit the OP and paste in that you copied from the PM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Patrician

I'm able to edit and see the post but I'm not able to "go advanced" nor save it.
    I've already tried to copy/paste or erase everything and put just a single word, same message still blocks me

No problem, I'll just wait, wanted to report this

Patrician

another bug example here, which was present sometimes before the VB update (talking about last week)

someone posted (Dardo21 in this case) but his post is impossible to be seen no matter what (even trying closing and reopening the browser - firefox)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...t-Impera-(DeI)

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Surely I'm not the only one who sees the very glaring and most obnoxious error that still pervades the entire forum? I've seen threads in multiple sub-forums that don't show the exact amount of posts in them or who the latest poster was, like it's stuck in the past without showing any updates. It's hard to tell which threads have been commented on recently, because it's all outdated when you view the list of recent threads. Whatever is causing that, I would prioritize fixing that first, pronto, because it will not only cause a huge amount of confusion, but also discourage people from making new posts, as they would think the forum is inactive and nobody else is bothering to post either.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

another bug example here, which was present sometimes before the VB update (talking about last week)

someone posted (Dardo21 in this case) but his post is impossible to be seen no matter what (even trying closing and reopening the browser - firefox)
    I just clicked on that shortcut (the double arrow) and ended up at post #6061 made by Dardo21. I am using Opera and a 40 post\page display method.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Surely I'm not the only one who sees the very glaring and most obnoxious error that still pervades the entire forum? I've seen threads in multiple sub-forums that don't show the exact amount of posts in them or who the latest poster was, like it's stuck in the past without showing any updates. It's hard to tell which threads have been commented on recently, because it's all outdated when you view the list of recent threads. Whatever is causing that, I would prioritize fixing that first, pronto, because it will not only cause a huge amount of confusion, but also discourage people from making new posts, as they would think the forum is inactive and nobody else is bothering to post either.
    Could be related to this, can you link to an example?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    The site will be slow over the weekend as its rebuilding the search index, which takes bloody forever and is using a ton of resources.

Patrician

nope, double arrows doesn't work (with firefox) and even Dardo21 can't see it, so he told me.

maybe is the 40 post\page display method, maybe is the browser, can't say.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Could be related to this, can you link to an example?
    Maybe, but you can't be serious. I'm astonished that you want a link when you could just easily go see it for yourself.

Go to the Arts sub-forum right now and see how it says Big War Bird made the latest post "today" in the Game of Thrones thread, even though I'm the latest person to do so and Big War Bird hasn't commented there in freaking ages (I can't even remember the last time I saw a post of his there). It's also numbering posts incorrectly, a clear indication that it is not up to date and misleading. I simply cannot see which thread truly has recent posts because of this problem.

Want another example? Go to Europa Barbarorum sub-forum. None of the posts are updated and again, the actual latest posts aren't showing at all, only very old ones, which hides all the most recent activity. Your forum is basically broken. Pretty much not acceptable. Fix it, or you'll start losing long time members, like me.

@Roma: Gig is German, of course, he's serious. But most likely he hasn't noticed this problem. It can be easily noticed if you're active in some famous threads on a daily basis. It could be what he says, GED's quote but most likely it's related to DB. I think some script that updates the thread status is acting retarded due to server load or something.

But yeah this problem is annoying and confusing

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

This forum here is updated right away when it comes to 'last post' - I reckon that's because it's on top of the forum directory hierarchy and it has already been indexed. I am not a techie, that's just my thought.

Hence my ink to the update thread where it was mentioned that it will take the weekend to update.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I'm able to edit and see the post but I'm not able to "go advanced" nor save it.
    I've already tried to copy/paste or erase everything and put just a single word, same message still blocks me

No problem, I'll just wait, wanted to report this
    I think this is related to the email Squid sent me about max.nesting.level being set at 256 which seems to be a default. I changed it to 512 which will take effect next time we restart the php services, which we cannot do until the indexing is finished.

I posted on this one already, in the other thread. vBulletin defaulted to not updating thread views immediately. I changed that last night but it might not have processed that thread yet. Throw a test post in it using quick reply and see if it updates when you do that. I did that with my GrnEyedBot account last night and after about 1 minute the thread view was live.

4zumi's Avatar This one sparks joy

I wanted to provide an example for Roma_Victrix's issue, that plagues my mod thread as well.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...feeling/page14

There is a page 14 where there should be at least 2 new posts. They were displayed correctly in the small update info, but you can not get to them and always end up on page 13 for a reason. Even if it says page 14 in the adress bar
    Proudly under the patronage of King Athelstan of the Imperial House of Hader

Author of
    Total Vanilla Beyond mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms &
    Developer of
    Total Bananas mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms (beta)

Steam Workshop Mods for Rome 2, Warhammer, Warhammer 2

Discord: zumi's cookie corner
    Fighting for launch of "Cookie Friday" and "No Pants Saturday"

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Same thing seems to be happening in the mudpit brexit thread. Supposedly there's a page 75, but I can't get to it. It's still possibly to reply to the thread and those posts show up as 'latest post' and you can find them via the user's latest posts.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Yeah, I thought this was fixed by GED but there are still some threads in certain forums where I can't see the latest page.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

I would guess that until someone else posts in thread from after GED's change to the vbulletin settings then nothing will get updated.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

4zumi's Avatar This one sparks joy

Thanks Squid,
    that solved the issue. I commented in that thread and now it shows up correctly
    Proudly under the patronage of King Athelstan of the Imperial House of Hader

Author of
    Total Vanilla Beyond mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms &
    Developer of
    Total Bananas mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms (beta)

Steam Workshop Mods for Rome 2, Warhammer, Warhammer 2

Discord: zumi's cookie corner
    Fighting for launch of "Cookie Friday" and "No Pants Saturday"

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Yup I confirm that if you post on those threads where you cannot access last page you magically get everything working again
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Or one can wait a little, maybe a hour before trying to access the last page in a thread.

Which happen to me earlier today when I notice that Axalon were the last poster in the CCT thread, but when I read it the last page was missing and now about a hour later everything looks normal to me.

My conclusion to all this is about rebuilding the index.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Rebuilding the index is slower than molasses on a cold winter day. We are currently at entry 1.56 million and change and we have 14 million posts, we've been going for half a week now, do the math for long we're going to be working at this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast