Thread: [Submod] Vanilla Style Icons for Divide et Impera

Default [Submod] Vanilla Style Icons for Divide et Impera

Steam download is here.

Fellow users of super-mod DeI, do you love color coordination? Do images of pottery haunt your dreams? Do you love adorable icons that make a unit’s armament and capabilities obvious? Then have I got the mod for you!

(Re)introducing, Vanilla Style Icons for Divide et Impera! This WIP mod aims to replace all of DeI’s bespoke icons with ones in the style of vanilla Rome II, for those proud few of us who actually liked the original style. This mod builds upon a much earlier version and is currently ~75% complete. I’m releasing it now to get some feedback before diving back into GIMP to make/steal another 300 icons or so.

The following factions are complete:
    • Rome (excluding auxilia)
    • Carthage
    • All Greek states, including colonies
    • All successor states
    • All eastern empires
    • All African and Arabian empires
    • All steppe factions
    • All AoR units
    • Nervii
    • Odrysian Kingdom

The following factions are partially complete:
    • Ardiaei
    • Arverni
    • British factions
    • Galatians
    • Getae
    • German factions
    • Roman auxilia

The following factions need a lot of work
    • All Iberian factions
    • Mauryans
    • Scordisci
    • Mercenary units

I would love to hear your feedback! Are there any units that look super wrong? AoR units in particular are difficult to test for quickly, so if anything is egregious there please let me know. Screenshots would also be great because I’m too lazy to take any myself. Also, if anyone is hankering to make some barbarian icons that would be lovely. Mercenaries I will be doing close to last and should be almost entirely previous icons, so should be easy for me to knock out quickly, but the barbarians are taunting me with their annoying shield designs.

Acknowledgements! Because no man is an island!
    I’d like to thank the entire DeI team, for obvious reasons; Cataph and Sebidee for their unit packs, some of whose icons I have stolen from liberally; the creators of the earlier version of this mod whose names I haven’t googled because I downloaded it years ago and only just rediscovered it in my Rome II data folder.

Default Re: [Submod] Vanilla Style Icons for Divide et Impera

i hate the word vanilla....but hey that's just me.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Good job, Fishfoode!

Very cool! Thanks for posting this!

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. All playable factions except for the Mauryans have full rosters now. If there's anything I missed or shield mis-matches please let me know!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

@Fishfoode
    Thank you for your submod. I hope users with an alternative taste will enjoy it

Leapchild's Avatar Foederatus

This is great, keep up the good work!

Thanks everyone. This is now complete, with all units (that I know of) having icons. If there are any gaps or ugly icons feel free to let me know.

This has been updated for 1.2.5 and includes support for the Alexander submod. I can't edit the OP, but the steam link still works.

HERE this is what I was hoping for since first time started using DEI

Useful mod, and everything like that, but may anyone share a hint on how to actually edit icons? 3-rd class post-reform Athenean units, which are set in colours of mercenaries, are a bit confusing - so I was thinking about tweaking a bit the mod for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyZombie View Post
    Useful mod, and everything like that, but may anyone share a hint on how to actually edit icons? 3-rd class post-reform Athenean units, which are set in colours of mercenaries, are a bit confusing - so I was thinking about tweaking a bit the mod for myself.
    I just used GIMP, a free image editor similar to photoshop. The vast, vast majority of icons I made were made by cutting and pasting parts of other icons, either from the base game or from other unit packs, as listed on the steam page. You can gain access to these using the Pack File manager and extracting the images from .pack files. Each icon consists of a base icon containing most of the icon, and a mask, which tells Rome II which parts to color.

If you want to recolor the Athenian or Carthaginian mercenary units, you'll need to delete the masks for the units you want to color, and then manually apply the colored mask to the base image. Because these units are flagged as mercenaries by DeI (so they get bonuses associated with mercenaries), the game colors them as mercenaries. In GIMP, take the base image, apply the mask over it as a new layer, then colorize that specific layer with the faction color. I'm pretty sure the color code is somewhere in the data files, but can't remember exactly where.

Thanks for the tips

Alrighty everyone, this mod is now updated to version 1.2.6. Thought I would bump this page since it's been a while since the submod has been updated and all that. Here's the steam link, which is the same as up top.

Love it! Thanks Fishfoode

@fishfoode
    I have updated it for the new patch, if u want u can use my updated version for the the steam version
    Link :
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-icons-updated

Should have checked here first before I updated myself! :V Anyhow, my version on steam is updated to the new patch, but it would be cool for another version to be kicking around!

I went on and started updating a lot of unit icons, personally I felt Italians needed a few changes. Also I changed almost all of Spartan units, and am trying to improve epirus and Athens icon as well.

This is now updated for 1.2.8! I also did a little bit of tweaking to some of the Gallic factions and a few Cavalry units here and there to make their battlefield roles clearer.