Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back to Roma Surrectum

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Back to Roma Surrectum

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    @tungri_centurio I'm still playing RS(imo the best mod for Rome 1) and will be starting another 1-turn Let's Play fairly soon, probably either as Gallaeci or Dacia
    deffo the best mod for rome 1, i enjoy commin back to it's still great. rome1 made me buy a pc to play, took me a year to find out there was mods for it. when im done with my TW:3K campaign i start a parthian one on RS.
    i keep an eye out on your channel when you start the campaign
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

And for me, what i funny I never really enjoyed Medieval 2.
    The mods for it were "meh" in my opinion.
    I'm sure there were excellent mods for it but none of them appealed to me...
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

I am coming back to a Roman 1 turn campaign (3.1) started about year ago and in hibernation for more than 6 months; my first (normal/normal). Now at 691 AUC with 66 provinces owned.

I have been doing some practice with a complete Darth Mod 9 campaign hard/hard to get familiar with the BAI/CAI UI and reviewing RTW/RS3 specific docs. At my age, I truly need to review things.

Rome takes Aquincum from Dacia. The first action of the Legions in 6 months.

PAX Romana is over!

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by MeiguoJinjang View Post
    Rome takes Aquincum from Dacia. The first action of the Legions in 6 months.

PAX Romana is over!
    Roman empires deserve nothing but to fall apart

Well, it was bitter sweet. It turns out that there was plague there. Very sly those Dacians. I thought the front door swung open a little too easily.

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

Hey all, been a long time for me..glad to see this game mod is still live.
    The Best Computer is Your Computer!

This mod is the best one I've ever played.
    I'm now playing Divide et Impera mod for Rome II though. The better diplomacy and AI is a must these times .

Divide et Impera is a very good mod for Rome II. It makes the game much more challenging. One can even lose the game and you really need to slowly build and expand and watch PO.
    I still prefer Roma Surrectum's battles and buildings though. DEI's battles are so slow .

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Roma Surrectum III has been my favorite mod since I discovered it, I still believe it's the best mod out there. I'm currently Let's Playing on youtube as The Seleucids(vh/h) revisiting Alexanders Empire. The link to my channel is in my signature below if would like to visit.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

TheJim's Avatar Semisalis

Someone said something about getting the band back together eh?

Almost tempted to start another AAR.

Almost.

Senator

Another Question. Currently Playing Seleucids, I have Greece secured, my only concern are the Sarmatians, who are neutral but won`t be a problem.

The Red Elefant in the Room are the Romans... how to deal with them as Seleucid? I´m little afraid, that they will eat through my Phalanx and shower my Elephants with Javies. Therefore no option.
    I´ve formed a full stack of Thraikan Romphairoi with 4 Erytanes Toxotai, two Lonchophoroi and two Asidophoroi. This I´ll gonna use as deplorable emercency stack, when the Roman onslaugh begins.

Any Ideas? Are there any special Scripts for spawning roman Fullstacks?
    I think Grimbold has the most experience here when it come to Slaughtering Romans

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

(rhodian) slingers in the back always worked for me. but roman can be sneacky

Senator

Yeah, i though about slingers, but since 3.1. those are to inaccurate... To be safe I will bring some, if needed I will rotate the Erytanes Toxotai out.

TheJim's Avatar Semisalis

Fighting romans as a diadochi state I have always found quite easy.

Deploy exactly like Alexander.

Phalanxes in close order, with almost no gaps between them to present a wall of sarissae, peltasts in front /amongst the pikes in loose formation to absorb pila, good quality hoplites/hypaspists on the flanks of the phalanx, with a heavy infantry reserve behind these (like basilikoi peltastai, agranians etc) which can wheel around the flanks once the front lines engage. Put your best units on your right flank.

Simply pin the legionnairies in place with the phalanx, and then exercise your cavalry superiority to rout the enemy cavalry on each flank, go after the general if you can, destroy any light troops or missile units, and then mass all your cavalry and smash them into the rear of one flank, preferably the roman left, where they will be weaker due to having been engaged with your right. When this breaks, you can usually roll up their line from this side and cause a chain rout.

This is how I do it as the Macedonians. I would argue that, with heavier cavalry, more heavy infantry variety and elephants, this should be even easier with the Selucids. The key thing with the elephants is to deploy them only when the enemy infantry is committed, and send your cavalry in before them as a screen and to scatter the light troops that might cause problems for the elephants. Pretty textbook.

Good quality phalanxes will essentially both take and inflict very few casualties against legionnaries, but they need only hold them in place. Fighting roman infantry shield to shield with your own is a recipe for disaster, so just use phalanxes. Vs romans, I would also say that archers are a complete waste of time and the unit slot could be used for something better.

Back to installing Rome Surrectum.

copy the battle formations file from xtended cultures 5 and or hellenistic legacy, then ur mouth will drop in amazement

Back to Roma Surrectum after months of playing Divide et Impera. I enjoyed the mod a lot but I feel deep down the game itself is soulless. No matter how much time I spend on it it doesn't allow you to connect with it as Rome 1 did. I played also Third Age total war for Med 2, but what annoys me in Med 2 are the battles - unit are too sluggish to move. Played also Medieval kingdoms and Ancient Empires for Attila.Attila is is better than Rome 2 but mods are still in development. Roma Surrectum will always have that special place.
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Davidos View Post
    Roma Surrectum will always have that special place.
    Couldn't agree more have you tried leonis' When Worlds Collide: Hellenistic Twilight & Diadochi submods for RS? they're well worth a look, check out my Let's Play if you like the link is in my signature
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; August 17, 2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Der Wachturm View Post
    copy the battle formations file from xtended cultures 5 and or hellenistic legacy, then ur mouth will drop in amazement
    What benefits does it have?
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12