Thread: Favourite Roman auxiliary units?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Favourite Roman auxiliary units?

One of my favourite features of Total War games is being able to recruit different units in new areas. Of course, Rome has the advantage of being able to recruit auxiliary units, as well as mercenaries (and levies from client states).

I'm enjoying a campaign with Rome as the House of Cornelius. With their reduced upkeep for auxiliaries, now I see what Socii Hastati are for - incredibly cheap front-line infantry. There are some great auxiliary ranged units, of course (Cretan Archers and Balearic Slingers), but I'd like to try Auxiliary Thracian Peltasts - and there are some cavalry and infantry options which look like they have a lot of potential.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Favourite Roman auxiliary units?

I like the Socii Extraordinarii. Good early units because of their good armour.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: Favourite Roman auxiliary units?

In my current Aurelian Rome Empire Divided campaign I've been relying heavily on Auxiliaries because I simply didn't have access to much in the way of decent Roman units early on. The main body of my armies have been Auxiliary Illyrian Swordsmen or Auxiliary Germanic Swordsmen, both of which make decent frontline sword units and are definitely better than the Roman Levies you begin with.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.