Thread: Fishgate

Default Fishgate

Summary:
    Yovana Mendoza is a YOUTUBE/Instagram celebrity, whose job could probably be described as "diet influencer". Her internet nickname is Rawvana, which presumably sounds sufficiently Indian and "yogish" for her devoted followers. She describes herself as a strict vegan, totally determined to not ever consum animals, eggs and dairy products. She has essentially established her digital career on the basis of promoting her lifestyle and eating habits. She publishes her recipes, claiming that they help her to maintain a cheerful disposition, a vigorous health system and a beautiful body (close to anorexic standards, in my opinion), despite the lack of variety of her menus. Unfortunately, this idyllic image was shattered, when Yovana "Rawvana" Mendoza was filmed devouring a viciously murdered fish in a public space. Mendoza didn't succeed in censoring the visual evidence of her inconsistency, so the subsequent controversy caused quite a lot of drama. She later uploaded an video-apology, regularly interrupted by the necessary advertisements, where she explained that she was advised to relax her vegan standards, because her system had begun to fall apart. I am not certain whether she is sincere or she simply invented the health problems to gather sympathy, while simultaneously violating her vegan principles since the beginning.

The prospects of her future look particularly dim to me, but the Fishgate raises some thought-provoking questions about the power of amateurish charlatans, capable of manipulating their audience, in spite of the complete absence of any appropriate credentials. It doesn't reach the notoriety of the anti-vaccination movement, but the new trend of dogmatic veganism could have almost equally negative repercussions, since no vegan diet is nutritious enough, at least without the contribution of soy milk and vitamine supplements. Harvard lists, in a somewhat biased in favour of veganism article, many possible defficiencies of such radical diets Therefore, Mendoza encouraged her viewers, including insecure teenagers and inexperienced parents, to undermine their or their children's health, building a prestigious reputation and, most importantly, gaining great monetary profits in the process. In my opinion, the principal issue here is that the businesses of the social media charlatans are less easy to regulate than the activities of their Wild West colleagues, the rather innocent, in comparison, snake-oil sellers.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 27, 2019 at 10:01 AM.

Default Re: Fishgate

There is a bit of confusion on my part. Are you attempting to raise discussion about the benefits/disadvantages of veganism or about a supposed lack of regulation on social media?

Well there's plenty of charlatans with credentials too. Those are even more dangerous.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Tiro

I've read that vaccinations and the super clean environment of built cities is causing weak immune systems generationaly, causing cancers in children and later adulthood. It's that inflammation, man! Eat a tablespoon of turmeric with a pinch of peppercorns. Also, the matter of cerebral degeneration, considering the chlorines and fluorides, and lack of breast feeding in some families, oh, and aspartame in diet sodas and other drinks which has the protein enzyme phenylalinine that eats away at your brain tissues.
    Gornahoor|Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatum loqui
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching
    MONARCHY NATION TRANSCENDENCE

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I've read that vaccinations and the super clean environment of built cities is causing weak immune systems generationaly, causing cancers in children and later adulthood. It's that inflammation, man! Eat a tablespoon of turmeric with a pinch of peppercorns. Also, the matter of cerebral degeneration, considering the chlorines and fluorides, and lack of breast feeding in some families, oh, and aspartame in diet sodas and other drinks which has the protein enzyme phenylalinine that eats away at your brain tissues.
    I hope that was sarcastic.

-------------

The prospects of her future look particularly dim to me, but the Fishgate raises some thought-provoking questions about the power of amateurish charlatans, capable of manipulating their audience, in spite of the complete absence of any appropriate credentials. It doesn't reach the notoriety of the anti-vaccination movement, but the new trend of dogmatic veganism could have almost equally negative repercussions, since no vegan diet is nutritious enough, at least without the contribution of soy milk and vitamine supplements. Harvard lists, in a somewhat biased in favour of veganism article, many possible defficiencies of such radical diets Therefore, Mendoza encouraged her viewers, including insecure teenagers and inexperienced parents, to undermine their or their children's health, building a prestigious reputation and, most importantly, gaining great monetary profits in the process. In my opinion, the principal issue here is that the businesses of the social media charlatans are less easy to regulate than the activities of their Wild West colleagues, the rather innocent, in comparison, snake-oil sellers.
    Basically true the internet and social media have allowed the velocity and scope of BS to be rather profoundly larger than former eras. Except in extreme cases though I can't see regulation being an answer else we end on the China web. I say the best answer is just better education that focuses on demanding intellectual curiosity and you know actually tracking down sources for some crap you see on U tube or social media and understanding what a credible source is say an indian sounding girl on u tube vs a study on diet by the NIH. Also a firm basis in Statistics should be a part of every HS level education.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Clean?

Super clean?!

Also, the least you can do is link the source of your sarcasm. We'd like to chuckle as well.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

In general we are seeing an effusion of skepticism across the United States and the West, and populism is only one dimension of it. Just as some on the political right doubt the value of traditional public authorities in government and academia, there are many on the political left (in my opinion, this diet fad and its many analogues are a primary example) who also doubt traditional authorities on medicine or domestic life, or traditional forms of law-enforcement. Personally, I have grappled with attempting to understand disrespect for authority for a long time. I am somebody who doesn't get it, I don't know what it's like to not want to have to respect authority. As a speaker and listener, I am someone who engages very deeply with people in person or in writing, and after many years (in which I've also grown a lot), I'm becoming pretty exasperated and at a loss to tell if there's any principled reason why people come to be skeptical of authority. My empathy tells me that the deeper reason may be, unfortunately, without any principle as we define it in the Western world - i.e., ethically justified based on the social contract. For instance, on Twitter or at the bar I see a lot of people who adhere to anti-authority because they don't want to or don't think they should have to compromise their immediate human impulses for bigger or long-term goals. However, there are also people like my mom, who is hopelessly skeptical of traditional scientific authorities - in her case, it's because she has some kind of endemic paranoid pain that makes her feels utterly battered and used by society, and so she needs to believe that there is a cult of nicer and more gentle acolytes in alternative medicine who serve as a salve for her.

It's not clear if anything can be done about these people who are skeptical of authority. Ultimately, they retain the same faculty of choice that we all have - by the same token, what can be done, for example, about racism, or what could the Republican Senate do about the Democratic-controlled US House? In my view, social contrarianism as a whole only draws attention to the fact that the social construct is indeed a construct of individuals. Our options to negotiate the impasses are limited.

In general we're seeing a lack of education in the US. But when you shift money from those resources to DoD for multiple generations...
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Bah, public schools only indoctrinate kids to accept lies such as multiculturalism, the welfare state, and evolution. Homeschooling them on personal responsibility, the Bible, and firearm use will straighten kids out.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

"Zardoz: Zardoz speaks to you, his chosen ones. You have been raised up from brutality, to kill the brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your god gave you the gift of the gun. The gun is good. Exterminators: The gun is good."

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

It doesn't reach the notoriety of the anti-vaccination movementBIG PHARMA'S orchestrated fear campaign around vaccination, in light of the fact Merck has been in courts for nearly a decade for fabrication & falsification of the effectiveness of the mumps component of its MMR vaccine...
    There, I fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob69Joe View Post
    I’ve read some people will believe anything they read.

I knew a doctor who claimed that a strictly vegan diet was unhealthy, that getting all the proper nutrients wirh just vegsn products was very n difficult. He truth of what she said, I don't know. I do.know humans evolved to be omnivores, eating a little bit of everything, including meat.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

What's wrong with a MacDonald's cheese burger, small fries and a very large chocolate milk shake? In most cases people are unhealthy due to lack of exercise and that's where having a good dog comes in, one that demands exercise like my two. Rain, hail, or shine get out there away from the TV, computer and the car and breathe in some good ole fresh air has to be better than the lifestyles most lead nowadays. Now concerning India the most interesting figure to come out of it, is a man called Ravi Zakarias whom you can see and hear on youtube, quite apart from the great food.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

This is a necropost and the video in the OP isn't even available to view...

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    I knew a doctor who claimed that a strictly vegan diet was unhealthy, that getting all the proper nutrients wirh just vegsn products was very n difficult. He truth of what she said, I don't know. I do.know humans evolved to be omnivores, eating a little bit of everything, including meat.
    I think you can make a vegan diet healthy, but at cost. If you don't want to over time see people get shorter. For growing kids I would be even more expensive to make it healthy (and its easy to dig up horror stories of vegan parents basically malnourishing infants). Also If everyone adopted it I am not sure you could really manage it on a global scale. A traditional Vegetarian diet is fairy healthy. A balanced diet is likely the best option.

I would say we do have a problem in that at least in the US the vertically integrated factory farming of meat has made it just too cheap and the portions we eat are out whack. Both from the environmental and social cost of the farming and how much too cheap meat we slap on the plate.

What's wrong with a MacDonald's cheese burger, small fries and a very large chocolate milk shake?

Nothing per say as long as you recognize its a really poor nutritionally and an unhealthy treat. More importantly its one that has gotten quite large and too cheap.

https://firstwefeast.com/drink/2015/...ge-1955-to-now

@Akar

Not sure I have like calling necro posting. I mean why bother keeping the database of pages and pages of old posts if you cannot revisit an old thread. After all you are likely to get shot from both sides in the VV if bring up say any version of was the Atomic bombing of Japan justified. Use one anyone of the maybe three threads that are still in there (there were more but the oldest seem to disappear in various server crashes). Somebody will say necro posting. Start a new one and somebody will groan and say you should used an old thread because whatever your view the pro or con of it is likely already in there and all you needed to was add your nuanced view or add something new a new article, book archive etc.
    Last edited by conon394; August 02, 2020 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Accepting the verdicts of science twice in one post (evolution/omnivores). Careful, do it too often and you’ll be labeled a progressive.