Thread: Do Total War games support large armies?

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Do Total War games support large armies?

Most Total War games allow 4 vs 4 armies with 20 units each army but I hardly or even I have never seen any proof of anyone able to run this setup. Is there any proof of someone running a custom battle with 4 vs 4 armies and 20/40 units? Are Total War games designed to support this?

Default Re: Do Total War games support large armies?

Yes, I have several times, in single player at least. I also play with 80 vs 80 units on modded campaign battles. It is doable if you have a very good pc, and if the unit size is adequate.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Default Re: Do Total War games support large armies?

I think a lot depends on how old the game engine is and if the game has been modded.

If you goonline and check out some YouTuber accounts, you'll find battle replays of custom battles with 4 vs 4 players with games such as Napoleon and Empire Total war.

But try 4 vs 4 on M2TW with Stainless Steel in a campaign battle and you will struggle. Often it will crash as the game engine doesn't allocate sufficient room for everything in those circumstances.

It would help if CA released a version of the m2tw/kingdoms game engine that doesn't need an illegal hack to work with larger mods