Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Server Updates

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Server Updates

I too ran into the same problems when trying to post this week's POTWs, after experimenting a bit with different browsers I found a long-ish workaround, I'm not sure if this will work for others but it worked for me. This is for those who need to reply with quote or edit a post.

When I click edit or reply with quote using internet explorer (and open them in a new tab instead of the current page), the box fills up with the post in source mode with no option to change it back to normal mode (there are no buttons to press above the box, it's just a box of text, and as such no option to save the edits or reply). I then copy paste the text into Firefox, which allows me to post. It's kind of troublesome, so I'd only recommend it for those who really need to get some formatting done somewhere.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Things somehow work better on internet explorer. I can quote people.
    The Armenian Issue

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Can others confirm if editing and quoting works in Firefox?
    I can confirm that. Just click on the Go Advanced button when editing is needed.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I can confirm that. Just click on the Go Advanced button when editing is needed.
    Does formatting work?
    The Armenian Issue

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Been testing this out and there's nothing I can do in Firefox that I can't do in Safari. I can edit posts if I don't mind a blank page and then copy-pasting the text, and I can't reply with quote with either.

Internet explorer no longer works for me. Opera on my phone works though, but not on Opera on my laptop...
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Can others confirm if editing and quoting works in Firefox?
    It's working for me in Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (64-bit). Including multi-quote function.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

So then, is this dystopian version of the forum the new normal now, you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Guys, there's evidently a version conflict, so there is no point trying to report individual issues. Have a bit of patience.
    That's no fun, though. Can't you just let us vent and complain in vain to the wind instead about having to "go advanced" every time we want to edit a post?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I have the same issue but i found a temporarily solution.
    Write your self [img][/img] and in the space between paste image's link.
    Heh. Funny thing is that I do that anyway, and did that regularly before the server updates, so no skin off my back!

It is annoying, though, to have that message after every post asking to wait a few seconds to post after making a recent post, but if you try to post after this message, it shows up as a double post of the post you were just trying post in the first place! I post very frequently, so posting a lot of posts can be a real headache when it asks you this over and over and forces you to leave the thread and come back to it just to see your latest post!

Side benefit: I'm enjoying all the posts here as a result of the chaos.

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

I'm typing this in the exact same version of Chrome and reply-with-quote didn't work.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I shot Squid a note to see if he can drop in and do the forum software updates. Last time I did that I screwed a couple up and caused him more work to fix them because of all the custom hacks we have in place. If he cant get to it in a day or two I will fumble through it.

I'm a little suspicious. This sounds like the setup to an elaborate April Fools' prank.

If he cant get to it in a day or two I will fumble through it.
    "A day or two", which by pure coincidence happens to be April 1st. Nothing suspicious about that at all.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

With Chrome, I can't use Reply. And I can't insert an image (the pop up window with a link appear, I can type the link, but then when applied the image is not added to the message).

You guys need to turn off the WYSIWYG editor and switch to source mode. Then you can use the quote button and insert images etc. That's why i'm able to do it. Will work in Firefox and other browsers as well:

It just seems WYSIWYG needs to be updated since the errors that are popping are related to bbcode.php as indicated. Until then use the source mode and save yourself the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    You guys need to turn off the WYSIWYG editor and switch to source mode. Then you can use the quote button and insert images etc. That's why i'm able to do it. Will work in Firefox and other browsers as well:

It just seems WYSIWYG needs to be updated since the errors that are popping are related to bbcode.php as indicated. Until then use the source mode and save yourself the headache.
    Oh, hells yeah Ishan! I didn't realize this would work, because I usually use the source code editing anyway, and I hit "Reply with quote" first, which was leaving me with a blank box. But I can confirm that Ishan's suggestion works (at least for the most current version of Firefox).

What you need to do is first go down to the reply area and hit "Switch editor to source mode" button. Then you can use reply with quote, multi-quote, and all the other standard goodies without running into any problems! Excellent workaround!

EDIT: I just tested, and this workaround also provides a somewhat cumbersome but still simple way to edit posts that have a lot of formatting in them (which for me seemed like a no-go up to now). What you need to do is the following:

1) Go to the reply area first and switch editor to source mode.
    2) Go to the post you want to edit and hit "Reply with Quote" (this should now have a source version of your post, but with quote tags around it)
    3) Edit your post as needed, within the box on this same screen (i.e. do not change windows (yet)).
    4) Delete the quote tags at the beginning and end (otherwise your post will be a "quote" of yourself, which would be weird )
    5) Copy everything you now have, i.e. your completed edited post.
    6) Right click the "Edit Post" button for the post you wanted to be editing (i.e. the one you've been working with), and hit "Open in new window/tab
    7) A window for editing the post will come up, and be normalish, except that it's empty. Easy fix, given that you have now copied the edited version of your post Just paste it in, and hit "Save", and it should work.

And just to be sure, I have confirmed that with a post on my AAR, which has a bit more formatting and so seemed uneditable. So this works. It takes some steps, but all of them are simple, and it gives a way to edit if you really need to right now. I hope that helps everyone!
    Last edited by Kilo11; March 28, 2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added workaround
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Oh, hells yeah Ishan! I didn't realize this would work, because I usually use the source code editing anyway, and I hit "Reply with quote" first, which was leaving me with a blank box. But I can confirm that Ishan's suggestion works (at least for the most current version of Firefox).

What you need to do is first go down to the reply area and hit "Switch editor to source mode" button. Then you can use reply with quote, multi-quote, and all the other standard goodies without running into any problems! Excellent workaround!

EDIT: I just tested, and this workaround also provides a somewhat cumbersome but still simple way to edit posts that have a lot of formatting in them (which for me seemed like a no-go up to now). What you need to do is the following:

1) Go to the reply area first and switch editor to source mode.
    2) Go to the post you want to edit and hit "Reply with Quote" (this should now have a source version of your post, but with quote tags around it)
    3) Edit your post as needed, within the box on this same screen (i.e. do not change windows (yet)).
    4) Delete the quote tags at the beginning and end (otherwise your post will be a "quote" of yourself, which would be weird )
    5) Copy everything you now have, i.e. your completed edited post.
    6) Right click the "Edit Post" button for the post you wanted to be editing (i.e. the one you've been working with), and hit "Open in new window/tab
    7) A window for editing the post will come up, and be normalish, except that it's empty. Easy fix, given that you have now copied the edited version of your post Just paste it in, and hit "Save", and it should work.

And just to be sure, I have confirmed that with a post on my AAR, which has a bit more formatting and so seemed uneditable. So this works. It takes some steps, but all of them are simple, and it gives a way to edit if you really need to right now. I hope that helps everyone!
    That's a really good work around. Thanks!
    The Armenian Issue

Ah that explains why things work for me - I've been on source code default for... forever I think!

go to general settings in your profile
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/profi...do=editoptions

under Miscellaneous Options (the last section) there's Message Editor Interface:
    select o Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls which will save you keep having to switch in reply mode

hopefully you then get what I do; which is edit mode window doesn't quite open properly when you first hit it, but if you hit edit again then it loads properly including all the original text and formatting

Oh, mak is right, and that simple change seems to fix everything for me! Besides, who's using WYSIWYG anyway? Just change your base settings as mak suggests, and then you should probably be pretty much good to go!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    I've been on source code default for... forever I think!
    Same here. Though normal users prefer WYSIWYG mode since it's more user friendly and you don't have to manually deal with BBcode. It just comes down to preference i guess but normally for contributors who have to deal with long posts and countless edits source mode is more logical since formatting is accurate.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I'm suign WYSIWYG/ With many images in mo posts, it helps checking I'm not mixing them

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I can confirm that switching to source mode works on other browsers as well
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader