Thread: Which faction as of 2.35 is the most "complete/incomplete"?

Default Which faction as of 2.35 is the most "complete/incomplete"?

Before I start a new playthough, I'd like to ask which faction is the most complete and polished in terms of not just units but also in their government system, traits and hidden events and triggers that make a turn less boring and more interactive and historical and vice-versa.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Which faction as of 2.35 is the most "complete/incomplete"?

Pritanoi are very much complete, have very interesting features, immersive, teaching you a lot of history, but in terms of the gameplay they don't constitute much of a challenge.
    I've used my home rules that are here, I"ve made comments and roster are here, and provided a short description here.

Campidoctor

I think I remember mention of Hellenic factions (except Bosporus, though maybe that's more complete now too) and Carthage being among the most complete even as of several versions ago if those float your boat.

Most factions are "complete" though I find that Jurand is right when it comes to Pritanoi *and* the Aedui/Aurenoi. The Aedui and Aurenoi play nearly identical and have unreasonably strong upward mobility. You have to make rules to avoid them gaining too much power if that bothers you. I find that the Lugians seem a little incomplete too, just from the three turns I played (which trust me, that's often not enough). Their bodyguard unit for generals is just far too powerful, even more powerful than triarii. Like I said though, I cannot say for certain. Apparently they have more challenges later in the game, but it also seems some of their models are broken for me.

While playing Pahlava, I did take note that there are a few units and unit models that are clearly incomplete. The general seems to have a texture error and invisible head, and there is one unit that you get later (the payadag i karadakan) that just has broken textures.

You will probably run into problems irregardless of the faction you play but they will likely be minor. With luck friend.

The Lugiones are nowhere near complete, and indeed are undergoing an overhaul at the moment that will be more apparent in 2.4. Their bodyguard unit, being their best, are just fine as they are.

Koinon Hellenon is relatively complete. Most of the other Hellenistic factions have things to do; Epeiros and Makedonia have new reform events and changes to their government buildings planned. Seleukids and Ptolemaioi have new mechanics implemented which you'll see in 2.35a. Bosporans are going to be revamped for 2.4, with their government and colony system rewritten. Essentially all of them will become much less similar and more distinct with upcoming changes.

The Lugiones are nowhere near complete, and indeed are undergoing an overhaul at the moment that will be more apparent in 2.4. Their bodyguard unit, being their best, are just fine as they are.

Koinon Hellenon is relatively complete. Most of the other Hellenistic factions have things to do; Epeiros and Makedonia have new reform events and changes to their government buildings planned. Seleukids and Ptolemaioi have new mechanics implemented which you'll see in 2.35a. Bosporans are going to be revamped for 2.4, with their government and colony system rewritten. Essentially all of them will become much less similar and more distinct with upcoming changes.

Even Carthage is due some rework to governments and colonies, which will make for a different gameplay experience when complete.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; March 25, 2019 at 05:50 AM.

Will the Barcid/Anti-Barcid traits become possible for new FMs in the next patch?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I think it has been since v. 2.2b that I played Koinon Hellenon, since I played as Makedonia & Pergamon between KH and my current Roman campaign. Is KH still incapable of building colonies, unlike all the other Hellenistic factions? How is this offset with other recruitment options? Does KH have to rely heavily on mercenaries as a result? Could you guys at least put permanent Greek colony buildings at sites like Emporion in Spain, where there should be one anyway, since you know, it was a freaking Greek colony.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I think it has been since v. 2.2b that I played Koinon Hellenon, since I played as Makedonia & Pergamon between KH and my current Roman campaign. Is KH still incapable of building colonies, unlike all the other Hellenistic factions? How is this offset with other recruitment options? Does KH have to rely heavily on mercenaries as a result? Could you guys at least put permanent Greek colony buildings at sites like Emporion in Spain, where there should be one anyway, since you know, it was a freaking Greek colony.
    KH can't colonise, that's a facet of the faction. They get government options, a huge range of local recruitment with the kh1 and kh5, and cultural conversion with their government buildings that other Hellenistic factions don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    KH can't colonise, that's a facet of the faction. They get government options, a huge range of local recruitment with the kh1 and kh5, and cultural conversion with their government buildings that other Hellenistic factions don't.

Don't they also get extra recruitment from polis? I think at least they used to.

I honestly dont mind the different gameplay without colonziation. It defines your "core" provinces. And in exchange you get more out of them than any (no hapiness malus, law malus can eventually be countered and you get access to all the cool locals of those provinces).

And its not like you get nothing out of other provinces. You can have nice locals or a pseudopolis. And the goverment doing the conversion makes them manageable overtime without need of extra investment.

We will either find a way, or make one.

No, everyone gets the same recruitment from the polis. What they get in the kh6 is an "imitation" polis-pool for places that have high Hellenistic Polities, but no actual polis present. In 2.35a that's been adjusted so they also get a basic local levy pool.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; March 25, 2019 at 04:41 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No, everyone gets the same recruitment from the polis. What they get in the kh6 is an "imitation" polis-pool for places that have high Hellenistic Polities, but no actual polis present. In 2.35a that's been adjusted so they also get a basic local levy pool.
    Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind and consider playing another Koinon Hellenon campaign!

As for factions that aren't full fleshed out yet, is the Saka faction still rather limited? I noticed they have recently gained the jaw-dropping Saka cataphract unit, and their bodyguard unit was also totally remade. They look very cool, although they were an Iranian people, while EBII sort of depicts them as looking...Mongolic or proto-Mongolian. Is there a reason for that and why they look different from the Scythians and Sarmatians further west? The game takes place before the Xiongnu migrated west from western China and Mongolia (after the Chinese Han dynasty defeated them), so I don't think Central Asia at this time was at all heavily Mongolic. I could be wrong!

[QUOTE=Roma_Victrix;15765922] noticed they have recently gained the jaw-dropping Saka cataphract unit, and their bodyguard unit was also totally remade.

Have any links for that my friend? I'd love to see them! Saka Rauka have always been a favorite faction of mine in EB2

Regarding the broken textures that got mentioned for the Parthians, they're actually fine. Some of the units just don't display properly if your unit details are set to anything below "high". I think that's why the mod defaults unit details to high in the .cfg file.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Will the Barcid/Anti-Barcid traits become possible for new FMs in the next patch?
    Bump/