Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Why Religion Cannot Be Measured by Modern Rationality - A Critique of Rationalism, Scientism and Post-Modern Metaphysics

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Why Religion Cannot Be Measured by Modern Rationality - A Critique of Rationalism, Scientism and Post-Modern Metaphysics

Sarin,

So, the earth spins around the sun by magic? We are all here by magic so I expect we are all going to die by magic and that's the best Clarke can come up with?

Default Re: Why Religion Cannot Be Measured by Modern Rationality - A Critique of Rationalism, Scientism and Post-Modern Metaphysics

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Sarin,

So, the earth spins around the sun by magic? We are all here by magic so I expect we are all going to die by magic and that's the best Clarke can come up with?
    Nope, it just looks like magic to people who are either uneducated or ignorant.

Sar1n,

So, does that mean that all them that believe the big bang came out of nothing are uneducated or ignorant? Or, in your calculation that's only for them who believe that God exists and spoke all things into being?

Ever look across the table or room at your partner and wonder at how beautiful his or her construct is? Think of the hope and dreams a mother, your mother puts into you and ask yourself why it is? No matter what age you become if she is still around you are still her little darling and that hope and love never leaves them. As a father I have that same feeling for my lot and I don't know how I could ever lose that feeling I have for them. I cannot believe that it comes down only to nature or science for what of these could ever invent such feelings? If there was a chemical construct available to take away our lust for hatred and war surely this world would be at peace today?

Some people think forests don't exist just because they can see each tree individually. "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools."

Last edited by Prodromos; June 17, 2019 at 04:18 PM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Some people think the set of all sets is a logical problem because it produces a paradox.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

chriscase,

There wouldn't be a problem if man could think of others as he does of himself. The problem comes in because man cannot do that by himself. For sure with time a person may well come to regard someone else with an affection but the norm is that it has to be worked at. The thing is that God doesn't require us to work at anything for Him to love us as He provided the means by which it can be done. A mother, Mary, could only watch as her son was nailed to that tree and yet in His pain He commanded John to be her comforter from that point on, why? Because her remaining family did not have the love for her that she had for them plus none oF them believed that Jesus was Who He claimed to be at that time. Apart from John all the disciples had scarpered and it wouldn't be until the Holy Spirit fell on them all at Pentecost that their confusion was completely broken with the truth. Then they knew the real meaning of love and where it comes from so much so that in time each one was prepared to die for it and did.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    It is written that the one thing man fears is death perhaps because it strikes at the most inconvenient time both for the subject as well as the relatives on whom it falls. The most religious people I have ever met are mostly men and women in our coastal fishing towns and villages, why? Because these men and women in some cases know how dangerous the seas can be at any time and yet every day they are prepared to take their chances out there. Their faith that there is a God would astound you.
    You haven't yet answered my years old question about why true believers would prefer to live here than in heaven. What's to be afraid of? If loss of families or friends is bad they could all die together.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    You haven't yet answered my years old question about why true believers would prefer to live here than in heaven. What's to be afraid of? If loss of families or friends is bad they could all die together.
    AqD,

Sorry but I don't recollect that question because I don't know of any true believer, born again Christian that is who would not prefer heaven to earth. The earth is doomed to be replaced by a new heaven and earth populated by only true believers so your question seems rather silly. What Christians gave you that idea?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112