Thread: Nostalgic for the Gray Death (how do I get the AI to try and fight me more)

Default Nostalgic for the Gray Death (how do I get the AI to try and fight me more)

Hey guys,

So, I feel like this has been mentioned in the past, but I've noticed that the AI isn't nearly as aggressive in terms of building stacks and throwing them at you. I'm playing Pontos on Hard campaign map, about 160 turns in, and I've only ever been attacked by a faction once (Hayasdan). Lord knows it's open season for spies and assassins, and it's nigh impossible to get alliances with the AI, but they generally don't want to fight me.

Now, I know that it can be annoying when you're fighting stack after stack every turn, and it probably wasn't very historical for kingdoms to be having big battles all the time, but I do at least somewhat miss the prevalence of battles that I remembered fighting in EBI.

So, that being said:

What causes this?
    - Is it partially due to scripted AI behavior?
    - Does the AI money script affect their aggressiveness and building of troops?
    - Are there hardcoded AI limitations that prevent them from attacking as often as they did on the RTW engine?
    - would playing on VH campaign map make them more aggressive? Relatedly, I know that people generally recommend not playing on VH campaign map, are there other downsides other than them trying to kill you all the time?

Is there anything in the data folder that I can tinker with to make them more aggressive? Maybe adjusting the AI script so that they get more $$$?

Thanks again, still loving this mod after 5 years, all of your hard work really shines through

Default Re: Nostalgic for the Gray Death (how do I get the AI to try and fight me more)

i think the campaign AI vary from campaign to campaign. I only play Hard level on campaigns. One campaign the AI Carthage did not expand at all on the island of Sicily; another campaign they rapidly took over the entire Sicily in the first few turns. I now use the speed of Carthagininan's expansion on Sicily as an indicator of AI effectiveness. If they don't expand at all for many turns, then I would probably restart my campaign for a better experience...

Default Re: Nostalgic for the Gray Death (how do I get the AI to try and fight me more)

The AI has two states, warlike (default Total War hyper-aggressive) and diplomacy (much more peace-able and reasonable, recognises when it's been beaten). It flips back and forth between these states depending on what's been going on, if the AI has been besieged, recruiting heavily and/or defeated in battles, they will eventually switch to diplomacy. They switch back to warlike at random.

The finance script in EBII is also completely different to that of EB1, which lavished the AI factions with money (additionally, campaign difficulty gave them a load of extra money too, which isn't the case in M2TW). Instead their debts are cleared and they get a small amount extra in spring, otherwise they're on their own. Only smaller factions (with less than 6 settlements) get additional assistance, so the Seleukids have to rely on their own funds from the off.

It varies from game to game which factions do better than others, sounds like you've been unlucky in your game to get one in which the Seleukids aren't doing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It varies from game to game which factions do better than others, sounds like you've been unlucky in your game to get one in which the Seleukids aren't doing so well.
    Based on the few campaigns I played so far, Seleucid always gets beaten left and right, usually Parthians cut in their middle, and then they lose the western coasts to Nabatu... This mythical grey death must have only existed in EB1