Thread: Lag and Crash While Playing Camign Mode/Battles

Icon1 Lag and Crash While Playing Camign Mode/Battles

Hello, my name is Salem.
    I face a minor problem when I play in the campaign mode and engage in battles for 1-2 hours: the mod starts to become glitchy. Then, it freezes and takes me back to my desktop. Additionally, the game is laggy both in campaign and battles. Are there possible solutions to these issues? I play this game on my Acer laptop.

Default Re: Lag and Crash While Playing Camign Mode/Battles

Hi Salem,

Sorry to hear about those problems.

I am not too familiar with playing RTW on laptops. I have heard that Windows 10 can cause difficulties, but I believe there are ways to circumvent some, if not all, of those problems.

When do the crashes occur? During battles, or when you are waiting for the AI's turn, or just when you're on the campaign map?
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

The problem occurs when I'm both on the campaign map and after exiting some battles.

Additionally, the game starts to become glitchy after playing it for a long time.

Are you using disc version or steam version? This is an old game and the disk version will become increasingly less likely to work as time passes. The steam version is a bit more stable, and at least has some pretense of support by the distributor. If you are using the disk version, I would recommend switching to the steam version. Otherwise, my best advice is to save often; particularly before and after every battle; and close out and reload the game at the first sign of glitchiness.

I am using the steam version of this game.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by NOOO View Post
    I am using the steam version of this game.
    Have you tried taking steam offline when playing? also I suggest you google Large Address Aware(because of TWC rules I cannot say any more on this) but what you're looking to do is do is implement a 4gb file to your exe's, RTW has a limit of 2gb memory and this will help stabilize your game. Also your Acer laptop may not be powerful enough to run mods for long periods, mods have more content than vanilla, I know some people who still struggle with some mods using modern Intel/Win 10/Nvidia i5's, but at least making sure it is kept clear of dust and there is plenty of ventilation to prevent overheating will help. As Wambat mentions close out and restart every 1-1.5hrs or even reboot to clear your ram cache. I don't necessarily agree with him on disks though, as long as you look after them(keeping clear of scratches etc) they should be fine, I have had my Anthology disks for the best part of 5 years and they run just fine, I don't use steam, although I have it installed for my son to play Rome II/Divide et Impera which I have running offline where it actually appears to perform better.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; March 19, 2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typo & added info
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

@Saul Tyre : Thanks for the tips. I noticed better stability once I switched to the Steam version, but that could have been entirely coincidental. I am glad to see you still poke your head into the FATW forums now and again. I do miss your FATW Lets Plays. Have you any intentions of publishing one again? Maybe when 3.4 comes out?

Do you think I should change my settings resoultion?

Do you think I should change my settings resoultion?

T
    he maximum resolution that RTW vanilla knew anything about when it was released is 1280x1024 and it won't ever look any better, so setting it at your laptops native resolution should be fine, but by all means experiment, I set mine at 1920x1080x16 because of my monitors recommendation and my rig and gameplay is fine with it, I don't have any problems. If you're wondering why x16bit, it's because Windows only uses 24 colours and x32 is overkill and this helps slightly with lag. You can also of course try playing in windowed mode? this is another possible solution.

UPDATE;...I searched this out for you, it may help if you understand how to use the information and if there is anything applicable to your issues. ‹https://forums.totalwar.org/wiki/ind...e_to_CTD's

Last edited by Saul Tyre; March 19, 2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo & Update

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    @Saul Tyre : Thanks for the tips. I noticed better stability once I switched to the Steam version, but that could have been entirely coincidental. I am glad to see you still poke your head into the FATW forums now and again. I do miss your FATW Lets Plays. Have you any intentions of publishing one again? Maybe when 3.4 comes out?
    You're welcome to the tips, this laddie's been posting issue questions on other mod forums the past week or so, he's obviously new to RTW. The steam stability situation is a moot point imo, it works for some but not others it seems. There are as many people complain of lag in some games/mods and even more so in conjunction with Win 10 on the TW franchise.

I regularly look into the forum to see what's occurring and I have also subscribed and followed your Let's Plays for some time, although I do find you're stop/pause/re-position/restart battles a tad errrm....dishonorable

I will be looking to doing another FATW LP in the not too distant future, I perhaps may wait until v3.4 as you say. I have been very busy over the last year or so with RL as well as working with the RTR8 Group, I did a lot of testing for that mod, after that I started testing for suppanut on his XC-5 Alpha which is ongoing, I am also testing on ahowl 11's new mod Vanilla Enhancement and I just recently finished testing on lanjane's Barbarian Empires mod of which I am presently doing a Let's Play, after this I have several requests from friends and subscribers, so as you can see it's been pretty time consuming, so much so, I've only managed to have one LP/one episode per week on the go recently
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; March 19, 2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    ... I do find you're stop/pause/re-position/restart battles a tad errrm....dishonorable
    Well, the victors get to write the history books. So, the history books of the Fourth Age will read that the forces of Harad fought valiantly and honorably, just like the American colonists.

One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    Well, the victors get to write the history books. So, the history books of the Fourth Age will read that the forces of Harad fought valiantly and honorably, just like the American colonists.
    ....Aye true, and ofc there's always value in a good publicist
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; March 23, 2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post

T
    he maximum resolution that RTW vanilla knew anything about when it was released is 1280x1024 and it won't ever look any better, so setting it at your laptops native resolution should be fine, but by all means experiment, I set mine at 1920x1080x16 because of my monitors recommendation and my rig and gameplay is fine with it, I don't have any problems. If you're wondering why x16bit, it's because Windows only uses 24 colours and x32 is overkill and this helps slightly with lag. You can also of course try playing in windowed mode? this is another possible solution.

UPDATE;...I searched this out for you, it may help if you understand how to use the information and if there is anything applicable to your issues. ‹https://forums.totalwar.org/wiki/ind...e_to_CTD's

Hello, Saul Tyre.
    Firstly, I would like to thank you for providing with me the link above to understand my problems with the mod. However, how can I use the information to solve the issue? Do have I edit the game files?

Thank you for cooperation!��

Hello, Saul Tyre.
    Firstly, I would like to thank you for providing with me the link above to understand my problems with the mod. However, how can I use the information to solve the issue? Do have I edit the game files?

Thank you for cooperation!��
    You're welcome laddie but I'm not a modder so I can't really help you any further than this, you're best talking to Wambat, Webba or Count, these are the guys with the expertise and knowledge.

... However, how can I use the information to solve the issue? Do have I edit the game files? ...
    Not a modder myself, but looking over the link I would say these fixes are applicable in cases where the crash is reproducible on any rig. I would attach a saved game here so we can see if the crash occurs on our rigs.

If the issue is one of compatibility with your particular rig, you are not likely to solve the problem by changing the mod files. Changing the video settings to specific presets to make the game run more smoothly can sometimes more easily be done by changing the preferences file directly.