Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wood's Guide to Whiskies

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Wood's Guide to Whiskies

I find Arran to be an okay whisky. Enjoyable and worth its price. Personally I'm also more of a fan of the real peated whisky's, like Ledaig, Laphroaig and Lagavulin. As a peated whisky it lacks flavour I find, as a whisky it's tasty.

Campidoctor

Glad you still keep this stuff up, Kilo. I recently remembered it.
    Short and clear statement. Having read between the lines, and also Turk's response, it seems to be an OK Single Malt. Dunno if the price is justified, but for Barbarians like me, it is most likely not. I already told you, I'm fine enough with Bourbon, which would make a fine tongue like you shudder. Yet, a few weeks ago, I had an Irish Mist. Damn, that honey flavour. Mixed with Outlast2. Holy ding dong.

Whatever. I don't want to dilute this thread further. +rep. Fine review.
    Last edited by Derc; March 13, 2021 at 04:17 PM. Reason: +rep works now

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Like the drink itself, this was a refreshing review to read! The Arran sounds good for people who like a subtle peaty flavour.

My whisky shelf is full, which means it is time to do some reviews. And to my shame, I see now that I never even responded to the last round of comments I promise you all though, I did read them, as I always do, because I love to hear what you all think of that most refined of drinks, whisky

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    I find Arran to be an okay whisky. Enjoyable and worth its price. Personally I'm also more of a fan of the real peated whisky's, like Ledaig, Laphroaig and Lagavulin. As a peated whisky it lacks flavour I find, as a whisky it's tasty.
    Turk, just one more reason for us to go drinking together! This is exactly my taste as well! Laphroaig is it if you want a glorious gut-punch of peat and smoke, and Lagavulin is pure class. I must say though, I've never had Ledaig I guess I have a new thing to put on my "To-Drink" list (which is just so much more to check things off of when compared to a "To-Do" list).

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Glad you still keep this stuff up, Kilo. I recently remembered it.
    Short and clear statement. Having read between the lines, and also Turk's response, it seems to be an OK Single Malt. Dunno if the price is justified, but for Barbarians like me, it is most likely not. I already told you, I'm fine enough with Bourbon, which would make a fine tongue like you shudder. Yet, a few weeks ago, I had an Irish Mist. Damn, that honey flavour. Mixed with Outlast2. Holy ding dong.

Whatever. I don't want to dilute this thread further. +rep. Fine review.
    Ah, Derc, we'll civilize you yet! And don't knock the bourbon too hard. It is not my taste, but I can respect when it is done well. I actually have two bourbons on my whisky shelf right now, because apparently in-laws are well-meaning, but have no idea what they're doing, and just buy the whisky that "looks nice" without understanding the nuances of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Like the drink itself, this was a refreshing review to read! The Arran sounds good for people who like a subtle peaty flavour.
    Thanks, Alwyn! I am glad it was a nice read. And though it was a while back, I think the Arran was a nice gentle version of the peat. Something to try for sure!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Glendalough, Single Malt - Mizunara Finish (aged 13 years)
    Irish Whisky, Wicklow

Quote Originally Posted by Review
    The first scent is cold and sharp, with a tang reminiscent of that first November night when the ground freezes. It makes you think of winter's approach. But if you lean in a hair further and pull a long breath in through your nose, you'll notice something else. There is a mark of... apples? And wild rose maybe? Things fresh and crisp at any rate, setting a pleasant contrast to that first crisp aroma.

The taste, however, is anything but what it's scent was. The first sip is full of vanilla and some flavor of light incense. It is gentle and smooth and warm at the same time. Continuing on with the glass, there comes a broader set of notes, soft woods and good leathers. They are the tastes of outside, of open country, and that's where they bring you, in the darkness of your mind. Going deeper in the tumbler, the scents and tastes begin blending together, creating harmonies and playful dissonances, until finally the glass is empty, and you have to decide whether to call it an evening, or start the whole thing again. I think I know what I would choose...
    This was a gift, from whom I cannot quite remember anymore, but it was a lovely gift for sure! I had actually drank almost the whole bottle, and then was saving a single glass worth's for ages, so that I could drop a review here. I am sad to say the bottle is now good and truly empty, but I am mightily glad that the review gave me the excuse to have that last glass. This whisky is light and warm, but also full and rich. I think it is something to do with the mix of things going on in it.

Glendalough is a fairly standard Irish whisky, as far as I can remember. A bit of peat, a bit of smoke, but not much of either of those, and then the usual other flavors one expects. Sort of a middle-man between Scotch whiskies of the islands and those of the Spey. But then the clever men and women at Glendalough did something unexpected; they took their usual workaday whisky, and they finished it in Japanese Mizunara oak puncheon barrels. Thirteen years aging in American oak bourbon barrels, and then a smooth finish in puncheon casks. A genius combination when you think of it, as it the former gives the whisky edge and body, and the latter smooths off that edge, and adds character. It gets the rough woodsy feel of wild American bourbon and then dresses it in the elegance of Japanese spirits. All in all, a good experience, and one I can recommend.

As to the bottom line with this one, I had to look up the price (as it was a gift), and though I definitely enjoyed the Glendalough Mizunara, it is definitely not one for the budget drinker. On a cursory search, the absolute cheapest I could find it was at around 70 Euro, which is pretty up there given the number of quality whiskies you can find in the 40-50 Euro range. However, if you find yourself with a Christmas bonus, or with a sudden windfall, I would recommend putting the money into this one. What it does it does gently and subtly, but darn does it do it well!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

from whom I cannot quite remember anymore
    If no one else here is going to take credit I suppose I will...

Glendalough: For the best of times.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Campidoctor

You foo'. I have an Ardmore right now. Recommended by an old school whiskey lover. Can recommend again.

This and Kingdom Come Deliverance = Greatness. 👌

Well, doesn't really matter. As long as you have a good time, it delivers.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The Glendalough sounds ideal for this time of year! Nicely done.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There is always a ideal time to enjoy the good stuff.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

This guide is really enjoyable to read, i like the Glenmorangie review, as my darling had possessed three of them in a small box, which tasted all good (but he didn't wanted to share i stab him in sleep i swear ).

I curious, which you will review next.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Have you ever tried getting your hands on this? https://greekreporter.com/2012/12/24...de-in-larissa/

Personally I don't drink whiskey, or in-fact any coloured spirit, I am more into Tsipouro and Vodka (preferably Russian or Polish, not those cheap German ones you find here.) from hard stuff. My hangovers were more managable with clear spirits.

Never come across it before, but if you get me a bottle so that I can sample your nation's glory, I would relish the opportunity!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234