Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood's Guide to Whiskies

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Wood's Guide to Whiskies

The Connemara sounds like good value for money with those subtle notes and your tip about a chilled glass sounds like a good one.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the weather. I do hope it cools down soon, I need my weekly dose of Kilo! But seriously, no rush, just...you know...chill

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Too harsh? Would be really curious to see you review a whisky you deem too harsh.
    I can't take Talisker and Jack Daniels very well. Don't like the taste of either of them and my liver is on fire when I drink them. Some whisky's can be drunk like lemonade and other ones are just a pita. It's because I can't handle nut and salt very well, in my example.
    Reviewing how your body handles a drink could be interesting too. Although that is very different from person to person. Just like taste, I guess.
    Well, there aren't many things I drink that I find too harsh, but mainly because I now know my tastes (and the options) well enough to choose well. That and I like the "harsher" whiskies in general anyway, as long as they are quality (and not Bourbon). That being said, every once in a while I try something I've not heard of before, and that can also be a rough experience from time to time. I wouldn't avoid trying these unknowns, as it can lead to great experiences too, but one has to be prepared for tactical losses from time to time. I actually have a whisky like that on my shelf, and the review will come up at some point when I've the courage to drink it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The Connemara sounds like good value for money with those subtle notes and your tip about a chilled glass sounds like a good one.
    It really was. It's all gone now, but I have others about to try on! And I was also very happy the glass thing worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the weather. I do hope it cools down soon, I need my weekly dose of Kilo! But seriously, no rush, just...you know...chill
    Well, it cooled down, but now it's hot again. But I'm used to it enough to drink whisky even in the heat. So the next review comes....

NOW!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Old Pulteney, Single Malt (aged 12 years)
    Scotch Whisky, Wick

Quote Originally Posted by Review
    On the nose it is sharp and crisp, a clear reminder of the wild coast of northern Scotland from which it comes. The scent reminds me of the smell of the ocean before a storm, and I must say it calls to me. And with that in mind the first sip is actually a bit of a surprise. It's soft and gentle, but round and warm as well, the flavor of sunshine on summer wheat. With each sip that taste comes forward more and more, filling your mouth and throat. As the glass empties (too soon, I might add), there is a medium length draw of slowly altering tastes, each somewhat predictable, but no less worthwhile for all that. All in all, a drink worth the time.
    I have been wanting to try this for ages, as it is a favorite of a friend of mine, and I must say, I was not disappointed. It's not amazing, but it does exactly what it needs to. Moreover, it holds a nice place between the usual softness of Speyside whiskies and the sharper flavors of the isle distilleries. It doesn't have smoke or peat or a heavy note of salt, but it somehow has hints of all of these things without going over the top (which is not to say being "over the top" is a bad thing; that's usually my favorite!). Put short, it is a good whisky for those wishing to have something with more kick, but who haven't yet developed the taste for things like Lagavulin, Caol Ila, or the smoky Laphroiag (there is a 95% chance I've spelled the last one incorrectly; if not, you all owe me a drink!).

I also find the price-to-quality ratio to be very good for this one. I don't know what a "standard" price would be for this, but I bought the bottle for 37 Euro, which makes it actually fairly cheap as far as whiskies go. Given its quality, it is definitely worth buying, especially for those wanting quality but looking for more of a "budget" whisky. The only caveat to this is that I have only seen this once before, so it may be harder to find. But if you can find it, and the price is similar to what it was for me, indulge yourself and get a bottle!
    Last edited by Kilo11; March 14, 2021 at 09:43 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Good to have ye back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Laphroiag (there is a 95% chance I've spelled the last one incorrectly; if not, you all owe me a drink!)
    Whatever that is sure sounds like it doesn't want to stay in your stomach for long. Maybe switch the A & I around?

Aaaah. Much better.

Thee owe me ye drink!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Good to have ye back.
    Whatever that is sure sounds like it doesn't want to stay in your stomach for long. Maybe switch the A & I around?

Aaaah. Much better.

Thee owe me ye drink!
    Oh, it is a good one, and was the first really "proper" whisky I tried (having before only had cheap things like Jack or its equivalent). It is verrry distinct (with a hard Scottish "r" there), with smoke and peat in heavy notes. It also lingers long, which makes it a whisky that is generally either loved or hated, simply because the flavor hangs around until you've either become totally enamored or infuriated by it.

Regarding the spelling, I must say I'm proud I was as close as I was. I feel like you still owe me that drink
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Citizen

Regarding the spelling, I must say I'm proud I was as close as I was. I feel like you still owe me that drink
    I guess since you got it almost right, you arguably deserve something almost drinkable...

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

I guess since you got it almost right, you arguably deserve something almost drinkable...
    Then I guess we can do a vodka tasting. That's almost drinkable.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Campidoctor

You got me once again interested, Mr. Wood. I saw that whisky on the shelf this week, even on a discount. I was almost tempted to buy it, but I got diluted.
    I bought
    vodka
    this instead.

...Huh? What is that? Please get that gun away from me! I promise I'll catch up as soon as I can!
    Yeah, I'll definitely try this stuff sooner or later (rather sooner, I hope).

Fun fact: Laphroaig is one of the most expensive whiskys you can buy in a regular store which isn't secured by some high security vitrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Fun fact: Laphroaig is one of the most expensive whiskys you can buy in a regular store which isn't secured by some high security vitrine.
    I like that! It's like Laphroaig is the fanciest whisky for the common man! At the end of the day, I am not sure that actually tracks, but the idea of it amuses me greatly.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

An evocative review, as ever! Just as whiskys provides a lot of flavour and depth for a small amount of liquid, your reviews communicate a lot with a few words. I wonder if you'll review Lagavulin and Caol Ila in future, since you mentioned them (I'm not familiar with them - maybe everyone else is).

An evocative review, as ever! Just as whiskys provides a lot of flavour and depth for a small amount of liquid, your reviews communicate a lot with a few words. I wonder if you'll review Lagavulin and Caol Ila in future, since you mentioned them (I'm not familiar with them - maybe everyone else is).
    Thanks for the kind words Alwyn.

To your question on reviews of Lagavulin and Caol Ila, I would definitely like to include reviews of them at some point. I have reviews for both of them that I wrote for myself some time ago, and in theory I could just upload those, but to really do it right I'd prefer to get a bottle of each and taste them again, giving a fresh new review while the flavor is still on the tip of my tongue. Also, it gives me an excuse to buy a bottle of each, something I am more than happy to do!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

It has been unforgivably long since I left you ladies and gentlemen with a review, and that ends tonight. I have a full shelf of whiskies, and though I will only provide the one review for now, expect more to come soon! After all, I'm a drinking man, and a writer, and together that means I should be having whisky regularly So raise a glass and join me in saying "sláinte"*!

Glenmorangie (Quinta Ruban), Single Malt (aged 12 years)
    Scotch Whisky, Tain

The rising scent is clear and clean, almost like the smell of air that's too thin and too cold. It has that crispness of high peaks, but somehow without any of the attendant stinging pains. And beneath that first icy aroma is something richer and thicker, though for the life of me I cannot tell exactly what (perhaps that makes it all the more intriguing). With such a frosty opening, the first sip comes at you sideways, all warmth and gentle embrace. The heady flavors of simply good alcohol are blended expertly with softer notes of wood and caramel. I feel there is also the hint of some autumn blossom lurking in the back of the taste, and that will merit further investigation indeed. As you continue into your glass, taking less timid sips, the richer flavors open and expand, filling your mouth with a swirling melody of oak and oh-so-subtle notes of smoke. And in keeping with that analogy, the aftertaste lingers on long after you've finished, hanging upon your tongue to remind you of just how good life can be.
    This is an exceedingly good whisky from Glenmorangie! Glenmorangie actually has a few different blends, and while I am not terribly particular to their standard bottle, they have ones that are double-matured, and those do wonders! This one in particular is first matured in bourbon casks, giving it a solid, if somewhat sharp, base flavor. Such a beginning alone is not normally my cup of tea (nor of whisky ), but Glenmorangie then does an extra maturation of the whisky in Ruby Port casks, giving it an excellent finish. Just looking at it, you know it will be everything you want it to be; the bottle looks like it is filled with an elixir of liquid copper mixed with caramel. Deep reds and hues of aged oak give this a beautiful shine, and the attention to detail in every aspect of it is recognizable from the first breath to the last lingering aroma on your tongue. And as a testament to its quality, I think I am now on my third consecutive bottle of it, as each time it is emptied (and I still haven't written a review) I feel I just must get a fresh new one!

To the more pedestrian aspects of the review, this whisky scores very well on the price-to-quality ratio. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but from a cursory glance online it looks like it and its related blends run from 40-50 Euro. For the quality of the whisky, this is to me an extremely good price. This is even more so the case given how smooth this whisky is, making it something that just about everyone can enjoy. Given these factors, I would highly recommend trying this one. It is not too expensive, it is fairly easy to find in most good liquor stores, and it also has a bit of class to it as well (being double-matured, with the finish in port casks and all), which gives it something kind of cool and fancy. To sum, this whisky is good for having a glass on your own after a hard day's work, for getting yourself in the mood for something creative and engaging, or for serving to guests and showing just how classy you are Truly, a whisky for all occasions.

EDIT: I forgot to explain the *sláinte thing. Sláinte is what you say in Gaelic for cheers! Use it often and with relish
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

This is one of my essential expenses even my wife does not dare to complain about....

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

I request Glen Moray be reviewed next, a pretty cheap off-the-shelf whisky that I drink like water.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    This is one of my essential expenses even my wife does not dare to complain about....
    Definitely an "essential expense"! If we don't set aside certain things like this as "essential" in our lives, then we all too quickly fall into the most base utilitarian of lifestyles, which is just sad. We should all aspire to the greatest form of Epicureanism we can personally achieve, and cultivating tastes like those for whisky is an integral part of that development!

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    I request Glen Moray be reviewed next, a pretty cheap off-the-shelf whisky that I drink like water.
    Hmm. I do not think I have tried that. As soon as I have cleaned off one of my bottles, I will get that, and then put it on my review list. It therefore won't be next, because I need to open a space on my shelf (meaning one review must come first), but it will be immediately after
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Sláinte! A wonderfully evocative review.

Citizen

Sláinte! A wonderfully evocative review.
    WKUK Nonsense
    Thanks Alwyn, and I am always happy to give another a reason to raise they're glass (even if you're only enjoying the usual "frothy goodness" )

Cookiegod, I almost forgot the WKUK existed. Thanks for reminding me of a simpler time, when all any of us wanted was to watch people be complete idiots (without bringing harm to society).

And as always, there is the usual rigamarole of "It's been too long since I put up a review... I got whiskies worth telling you about... yaddy yaddy yadda." TL;DR, I got busy, but here is a new review

Oh, and @McScottish, though I am not reviewing Glen Moray today, I have that on my shelf, so it will come right soon!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

The Arran (Machrie Moor), Single Malt
    Scotch Whisky, Arran

The rising scent is thin and whispy, almost like the hint of smoke from two ridgelines over. And like that hint of smoke, there is a mark of acridity, but also of warmth and comfort. Toying with it longer, I also feel as though I can almost put my finger on something else on the nose, but not quite. Part of me thinks of ginger, but that's not right. However, there is the same sharpness and momentary pang one gets with that. Either way, I am unsure, but intrigued.

With all of that complexity and confusion in mind, the first sip is honestly somewhat surprising and simply perfect; it is cool, clean, and smooth. It has the merits of good Scotch but runs down like water from a high mountain stream. I am trying to think of a better way to put it, but I really can't. It is just right, and it is oddly refreshing. Continuing, the whisky begins to lose some of that initial feeling of coolness, but it makes up for it by opening up a wider range of flavors and feels. There is a mark of sour citrus and desert air that makes me think Seville, even though I've never been to Spain. Behind that there are flavors of wheat and barley, of grains baking under the summer sun, and to the end of the glass, these varying notes recombine and play with one another again and again, making for a truly enjoyable experience.
    I have not had any other whiskies from the Arran distillery, but this one is definitely solid, and well worth a try. It is a peated whisky, but I honestly hardly noticed peat at all. For me, that would usually be a mark against it (I am quite fond of smoky and peaty bottles), but its other flavors more than made up for the lack of earthiness I normally like. This may also be a reason for some people who are less sure of their tastes to give it a go, as it provides a subtle mark of peat, but goes nowhere near the depth and heaviness which is standard for most of the other island whiskies. Definitely something worth taking a whack at!

On the price-quality ratio, this also scores rather well in my opinion. Prices obviously vary from place to place, but it seems to run around 50-60 euros, which is by no means cheap, but also definitely not expensive. And for that price, I think it does exactly what it should. There is nothing that speaks against it, it is interesting in its own right, and (unlike many very good whiskies) it is something I think most people would enjoy. So those are all points in its favor. The only other point worth mentioning is that there is no age marked anywhere on the bottle, which leads me to believe this is a so-called NAS (or no age statement) whisky. That doesn't mean anything more than what it says, namely that there is no age given for the whisky. Make of that what you will, but when push comes to shove, only one thing matters, and that's whether the stuff is good. This was good!
    Last edited by Kilo11; March 13, 2021 at 02:40 PM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast