Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Rome Total War is more historically accurate Rome 1 or Rome 2?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Which Rome Total War is more historically accurate Rome 1 or Rome 2?

@Alwyn you wrote:
    As I said, I watched an AI faction assault walls with siege equipment yesterday.
    Questions:
    How many AI controled armies besieged your city?
    How many of them had their OWN siege equipment such ladders, siege towers and rams?
    Or...if there was a 2nd or a 3rd army under AI control waited the 1st one to place its own siege equipment on the walls to allow them to attack?
    Last question. Have you saw any horsemen to dismount inorder to use the siege equipment like they do in Shogun II?

Be honest please..Remember I do have ROME II and test in in VH/VH dificulties.
    Why do I make those questions? Its simple. If almost 15 years ago a development team could create a basic AI that could hundle 2-4 AI controled armies assauloting to the same city the player defends with EACH army had its own ladders, towers, tunnels and rams , then what prevented the so call super duper NEW ROME II develpment team to create something close to it and save us from idiotic solutions of non walled settlements to walls that melt under rain and wind?
    That last question was the reason why CA/SEGA silently banned me from its official forum inorder to avoid answer that SIMPLE QUESTION.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Which Rome Total War is more historically accurate Rome 1 or Rome 2?

Welcome to TWC, Cassadgaxia!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    @Alwyn you wrote:

Questions:
    How many AI controled armies besieged your city?
    As I said, it was an enemy city, not my city. The attackers were one AI army (my ally) and one army under my control.

How many of them had their OWN siege equipment such ladders, siege towers and rams?
    The AI army had, and used, its own ladders and seige towers. You previously wrote:

Rome II AND Attila siege AI can not assault walls AT ALL!!!!
    However, as I said, I've seen the AI using siege equipment - ladders and siege towers - to assault walls, despite your claim that they can't do this "AT ALL". I usually see this when there are two armies attacking the city (as in this case, an AI army of an ally, supported by the player's army) or when the city doesn't have an army in addition to its garrison (when the enemy approaches, our walled cities are likely to have armies defending them).

I understand why you might think they that don't. I don't defend walled cities very often - this is quite rare (especially if you're used to Shogun II, where defending castles is common). It's rare in Rome II because, usually, when a walled city is defended by an army, the AI starves out the defenders. This is a sensible strategy, because a siege assault are usually costly for the attacker. The army outside the city are likely to have a better chance by forcing the defenders to make a desperate attack. It would be fun if the AI attacked walled cities more often, but it would make the game easier - and players tend to say that they prefer Total War games to be harder.

Or...if there was a 2nd or a 3rd army under AI control waited the 1st one to place its own siege equipment on the walls to allow them to attack?
    The second army was mine. I waited for the AI army to put their ladders and siege towers against the walls before I send my warriors in, just as the AI does when the second army is AI controlled.

I see where you're 'coming from' - Rome II only allows one army to build siege equipment, a second army must either use the siege equipment placed by the first army or use its arillery (if it has artillery) to make a breach. You're saying that you believe that the second army should have its own siege equipment - and it's true that the second army won't have it.

However, if my army had siege equipment, I would have ordered them to drop it and to use the ladders and siege towers left by the AI army instead, to minimise casualties from arrow towers. In other words, the AI is acting sensibly.

Last question. Have you saw any horsemen to dismount inorder to use the siege equipment like they do in Shogun II?
    No, I haven't. If your point is that Shogun II handles cavalry better in a siege assault, I agree. My preferred option for cavalry in a siege battle would be that they'd retreat after the infantry were defeated, not dismount and make a doomed attack which will (usually) get any cavalry general killed for no good reason.

Be honest please..Remember I do have ROME II and test in in VH/VH dificulties.
    Why do I make those questions? Its simple. If almost 15 years ago a development team could create a basic AI that could hundle 2-4 AI controled armies assauloting to the same city the player defends with EACH army had its own ladders, towers, tunnels and rams , then what prevented the so call super duper NEW ROME II develpment team to create something close to it and save us from idiotic solutions of non walled settlements to walls that melt under rain and wind?
    That last question was the reason why CA/SEGA silently banned me from its official forum inorder to avoid answer that SIMPLE QUESTION.
    You ask me to be honest; I am - and I can reasonably expect the same from you. I thought that, perhaps, when you said that the AI "can not assault walls AT ALL!!!!", this was based on early reviews of the release version of the game or on very limited experience of playing it. If you play Rome II, then it's reasonable to expect you not to mislead players.

I don't agree that non walled settlements are "idiotic". I enjoy the variety of battles which Rome II offers - field battles, ambushes, battles in non-walled settlements, port battles and siege battles. Different types of battles suit different styles of warfare. For example, which faction's army would you want to use in the following scenarios?

(a) You're attacking a Macedonian army of pikemen, peltasts and shock cavalry on an open plain under a bright sun
    (b) You're defending against a Roman army of heavy swordsmen in a foggy forest in Germania
    (c) You're ambushed by an Arverni army of swordsmen and slingers in a valley
    (d) You're defending a non-walled settlement against an Armenian army of hill-men, axemen and elite archers

My preferences

(a) A Roman army would be well-suited to attacking the Macedonian army on the plain. Your Triarii are sufficiently heavy spearmen to defend against the shock cavalry. Your heavy swordsmen are more agile than the pikemen and can attack them in the flank. Your cavalry would lose to the shock cavalry but they're capable of handling the peltasts.

(b) A Suebi army would be ideal for a defensive battle in a Germanic forest. Your Scout Riders will tell you where the enemy are and your stealthy infantry will be able to hide from their scouts, except at close range (and, when your Scout Riders have met them, the enemy may not have scouts anymore).

(c) Have you ever ambushed a horse archer army in Rome II? Trying to catch horse archers between two lines in an ambush is like trying to catch water from a waterfall by clapping your hands together - the horse archers will simply flow quickly out of the killing zone and soon they'll be running down the slingers and shooting the swordsmen in the back, so a faction such as Royal Scythia or Parthia would be good at handling being ambushed.

(d) Defending a non-walled settlement is easier for factions which have a combination of heavy defensive melee infantry (pikes or spears) with good ranged units, so a faction such as Cimmeria (hoplites and heavy archers) or Bactria (pikemen and elite archers) would be great for this. As Cimmeria or Bactria, your Citizen Cavalry would perform poorly against enemy heavy cavalry or heavy infantry, but with their medium weight (medium means they're heavy enough to knock down light infantry but not actually 'heavy', which would mean they'd be slow) and decent armour, Citizen Cavalry would be good at attacking elite archers.

The point of the question is that, in Rome II, the variety of battles is useful because different faction rosters and armies are better in different situations. Some factions have all-round rosters, but some have limited rosters which creates additional challenges. Of course, we can use mercenaries to fill the gaps in a limited roster, but that's not the only solution. One of my favourite features of Rome II is the client states and satrapies mechanic. This is available to some factions but not others - Celtic and Germanic factions can liberate nations (creating allies and trading partners), Greek, Carthaginian and Roman nations can create client states and eastern nations can create satrapies.

Client states and satrapies allow players to recruit units from another faction's roster, by sending an army into their regions to recruit them (they're levy units, not mercenaries - and you only have a limited selection and can only recruit a small number per turn). This allows factions to have a precious few of units they wouldn't usually have.

For example, as Pergamon I had great defensive infantry and short-range skirmishers, but my roster was limited. I made Royal Scythia into a client state and spent about a dozen turns building up an army which had a mixture of Pergamon units with Scythian horse archers and lancers. This was very successful for a while, as I fought my way south from Anatolia in a war against Egypt. In that campagn, too, I fought alongside an AI faction and that faction used siege ladders to assault walls. I really valued by Scythian units, because I could only recruit them slowly and only in Scythian territory - so it was a devastating blow when two of Egypt's armies attacked this army of mine and killed or captured every warrior.
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 13, 2019 at 03:47 AM.

To avoid misunderstandings play a faction of your own.
    Then when AI will use 2 or more armies to besiege your city take a look how many of the AI controled armies use their OWN siege towers, ladders or rams or SIMPLY only one use them and when they reach the walls the other AI controled armies use them as well. This feature (each AI controled army the siege a settlement) to use each army its own ladders , rams etc lost even in the years of M2TW!!!
    So make this experiment and tell us your findings.
    CAUTION: Do NOT load a custom battle please..
    I have played ROME II and Attila for hundreds of hours and I NEVER SAW a 2nd AI controled army to use its own siege equipment. Things getting worst when that AI controled army is a rebel one that ussually uses only ONE (1) ladder!!!
    When i said AI can not assault walls that is what i ment. CA/SEGA never managed to fix that issue and that is why in Three Kingdoms they use the same technic with Shogun II but instead of hands soldiers use ropes.
    In Attila AI waits -only in VH dificulty- to assault a walled city but NEVER uses ladders or rams simply because in a magicaly way walls apear with huge breaches from rain or wind.
    Or by fellows like him its seams:

Now for the last test. Upgreade a 2ndary settlement in Attila to a walled one.
    When enemy besieges you there take a close look to your walls...It seams that according to CA/SEGA the walls were NOT ment to surround completly a settlement and in that game they still have gates but in a strange way they have HUGE GAPS to allow the idiot siege AI to storm the city. Am I right in this or not or you wish me to post some pictures to convince you even if you are a Rome II and Attila expert.
    About Satrapies and Client states. I would expect that the curent CA/SEGA dev team atleast to make what is reasonable.
    To allow a client state to be bribed to change side in he war!
    In fact dimplomacy does not allow you to make any offers when the master state is in a war with you.
    Shogun I had much more advanced diplomacy options than every other TW game...But i expected that modern developers would took under advicement the features of old and not deliver us a useless diplomacy.
    Even neutral states do not make trade agreements often even if they are not threatened by your faction in any way!!!
    Do you want more examples? In your siege battle did you see the AI controled ally cavalry units to dismount and use the ladders or the siege towers to assault the walls like they do in Shogun II?
    Such a sneakpic would be wonderfull and a miracle the same time..But Easter is near and miracles can happen it seams.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

To avoid misunderstandings play a faction of your own.
    Then when AI will use 2 or more armies to besiege your city take a look how many of the AI controled armies use their OWN siege towers, ladders or rams or SIMPLY only one use them and when they reach the walls the other AI controled armies use them as well. This feature (each AI controled army the siege a settlement) to use each army its own ladders , rams etc lost even in the years of M2TW!!!
    So make this experiment and tell us your findings.
    CAUTION: Do NOT load a custom battle please..
    I was playing the Grand Campaign, not using custom battles, when I saw the AI using ladders and siege towers to assault walls.

Do you agree that the AI can use siege equipment to assault walls?

I have played ROME II and Attila for hundreds of hours and I NEVER SAW a 2nd AI controled army to use its own siege equipment. Things getting worst when that AI controled army is a rebel one that ussually uses only ONE (1) ladder!!!
    You seem to be trying to move the goalposts. What you said previously was:

Rome II AND Attila siege AI can not assault walls AT ALL!!!!
    This statement said nothing about two armies. You claimed that AI amies could never assault walls in Rome II. As you know, we agree that a second army doesn't use its own siege equipment. This doesn't justify your statement that AI armies "can not assault walls AT ALL."

As I said, when I have two armies (or play a second army, with the AI playing the first army with the siege equipment) I do the same thing as the AI. Sending your second army to use the same ladders and siege towers as the first wave of attackers makes sense in Rome II, it reduces casualties from arrow towers.

When i said AI can not assault walls that is what i ment.
    That's not what "Rome II AND Attila siege AI can not assault walls AT ALL!!!!" means. You said that the AI "can not assault walls AT ALL". If one AI army uses siege ladders and siege towers to assault walls - and I've seen them do this - your statement was mistaken. It's an understandable mistake, as I said in my previous post.

Now for the last test. Upgreade a 2ndary settlement in Attila to a walled one.
    When enemy besieges you there take a close look to your walls...It seams that according to CA/SEGA the walls were NOT ment to surround completly a settlement and in that game they still have gates but in a strange way they have HUGE GAPS to allow the idiot siege AI to storm the city. Am I right in this or not or you wish me to post some pictures to convince you even if you are a Rome II and Attila expert.
    I don't have a computer which can play Attila, so I can't comment on that. (I look forward to trying it in future.)

Cities don't normally need to have gaps in the walls for the AI to enter the city, since the AI can use siege towers and ladders, despite your denial of this.

In my experience of Rome II, major cities (walled settlements) usually have walls which surround the city without gaps (except for a harbour, in walled cities by the coast). Carthage is an exception, as that city has a gap in the wall on the harbour side of the city. However, this isn't a "HUGE GAP", it's a choke point that Carthaginian hoplites (early campaign) or pikemen (late campaign) can easily defend. It's a bit odd, but I don't see it as a significant issue.

Some minor cities (unwalled settlements) have no walls and some have incomplete walls. That's okay with me, because incomplete walls in minor cities provide useful choke points for defenders. Minor cities aren't intended to be walled, the campaign map clearly shows this.

You may want all cities to have walls - that's understandable, different players prefer different things. However, that's not how Rome II was intended to work. For the reasons given in my previous post, I prefer the variety which is offered by having both sieges and battles in unwalled cities.

About Satrapies and Client states. I would expect that the curent CA/SEGA dev team atleast to make what is reasonable.
    To allow a client state to be bribed to change side in he war!In fact dimplomacy does not allow you to make any offers when the master state is in a war with you.
    Shogun I had much more advanced diplomacy options than every other TW game...But i expected that modern developers would took under advicement the features of old and not deliver us a useless diplomacy.
    Did Shogun I have "much more advanced diplomatic options than every other TW game"? That's interesting, what options did Shogun I have, specifically?

I don't agree that diplomacy in Rome II is "useless", as I see it, diplomacy works quite well. The player can build up relations over time, our decisions including our relationships with a faction's friends (and enemies) affect our relationship with that faction - I like that.

Even neutral states do not make trade agreements often even if they are not threatened by your faction in any way!!!
    You mentioned that you're playing on Very Hard. I'm not surprised that diplomacy would be very hard if you chose a high difficulty level. I don't play on VH. I can normally get trade agreements with neutral states after a while, when my faction has expanded and has something to trade - especially if I make a non-aggression pact with them first, pay them for a trade agreement, make treaties with their friends or go to war with their enemies.

Do you want more examples? In your siege battle did you see the AI controled ally cavalry units to dismount and use the ladders or the siege towers to assault the walls like they do in Shogun II?
    Why are you asking a question which I answered in my previous post?
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 13, 2019 at 09:35 AM.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Anthonius if you use my mod WARS OF THE GODS-ANCIENT WARS you will have a much better experience playing Rome 2. https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/.../?id=193736354

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    Anthonius if you use my mod WARS OF THE GODS-ANCIENT WARS you will have a much better experience playing Rome 2. https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/.../?id=193736354
    I will give it a try.
    QUESTIONS:
    Do AI 2 or more armies of it besiege your city having each one of it its own siege equipment?
    Do AI controled units that are cavalry participate in the assault on walls by dismounting?
    Are strat_map models connected with the real battlemap model of the cities you are defending or besiege?

PS: The misunderstanding between me and Alwyn was that Alwyn does not have Attila to witness how miserable TW historical games end up !!!
    PS2: Someone years ago said that he managed to import walls to Rome II unwalled settlements. What happened to that attempt?

Indefinitely Banned

I would say neither. These are sandbox arcade games. They have the veneer of a historical game. The worst thing about them is the campaign map-a total cartoon that has nothing to do with the real historical period.
    Totally agree with you and I find it really funny when some moments from the game trigger some people and they start to explain why it is not true and incorrect. Duh this game, not a history channel or something...

Yes, I agree that they're sandboxes, they're not intended as historical re-enactments.

However, when people call them 'arcade', I want to ask how they handle diplomacy in Space Invaders, what their research priorities are in Asteroids, what tactics they use for battles in Frogger and what sort of army builds they prefer in Pac Man. Arcade games are about timing and reflexes in my experience, Total War games aren't.

Patrician

Well some people would like a historical game that is immersive. There is next to no real Ai in these games so they play pretty much like an arcade-the battles have no logic to them, the armies do not fight as an army would in these periods- just little units scattered all over the map running around. The 17th century games are the worst-no politics or economics or logistics or supply -very little strategy involved. The games have the trappings and veener of a historical period and that is as far as it goes. The games are not made for history buffs or history nerds but the general public-mostly kids. They need to scrap the game engine they have and start from the ground up with state of the art ai programming-especially for the battles. Most of the time the battle are not worth playing as they are so predictable and boring. What I want to see is a real Napoleonic era game that has a super detailed map with real military logistics supply and control -hell all these games need a realistic map not the cartoon maps that they put out. And how about real cities for the 17th century-Empire and Napoleon had no cities map to battle in-with destructible buildings. How about fighting in Vienna or Berlin or Moscow or London or Brussels or Paris? That would be nice. Modding these games to make them interesting for the player that is having some strategy involved has taken quite a chunk of my spare time. Rome 2 was in such a bad state as it was not playable-at least for me-now after extensive modding of nearly every part of the game it is now fun to play and can be quite a challenge.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; September 04, 2019 at 10:50 AM.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    However, when people call them 'arcade', I want to ask how they handle diplomacy in Space Invaders, what their research priorities are in Asteroids, what tactics they use for battles in Frogger and what sort of army builds they prefer in Pac Man. Arcade games are about timing and reflexes in my experience, Total War games aren't.
    Arcade typically isn't used in the sense of the historical term or even the exact games that are implied. Rather, it refers to the simplistic designs and quickly over action that is typically associated with arcade games. In the case of Rome 2, there is the highly simplified building structure, the 'in and out' pacing of battles, and to an extent even the glossy art style that warscape era games sometimes take. These elements and impressions result in a game being considered arcade-like in relation to others, in this case, modern total war games compared to the older entries.

Patrician

Simplified is a nice term-streamlined is another-so is dumbed down.

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    Arcade typically isn't used in the sense of the historical term or even the exact games that are implied. Rather, it refers to the simplistic designs and quickly over action that is typically associated with arcade games. In the case of Rome 2, there is the highly simplified building structure, the 'in and out' pacing of battles, and to an extent even the glossy art style that warscape era games sometimes take. These elements and impressions result in a game being considered arcade-like in relation to others, in this case, modern total war games compared to the older entries.
    It sounds like you're using arcade to refer to simplicity, speed and appearance. I agree that arcade games are simple, fast and use a basic art style. We disagree over whether Rome II fits those descriptions.

If you said that the lock-picking mini-game in Skyrim is simple in the way that arcade games are simple, I'd agree (I'm not saying that Skyrim generally is simple). Rome II has a lot of mechanics for players to manage and judgements for players to make. Some previous Total War games had two 'currencies' for players to manage (using currency in a broad sense of a limited resource) - money and public order. Arcade games tend to have one 'currency' - the number of lives the player has (or the number of lock-picks, if you're picking a lock in Skyrim). Rome II players manage money, public order, food, loyalty, gravitas and influence - that's six different factors to manage, compared to two or one.

Rome II's building tree includes a lot of buildings to choose from. When managing provinces, there's the need to balance specialisation (provinces are more effective if you specialise) against resilience (if you rely too much on too few provinces for your food supply, for example, then a civil war, secession, rebellion or invasion could cause a major problem). There's also the need to balance conversion from hardy border provinces to peaceful areas - do this too fast and your peaceful areas will struggle to resist invasion, do it too slowly and your front line armies will lack quality or quantity of troops. Unless you're using a mod which gives the player more money (which would remove some of the decision-making), I'd see this as neither similar to the simplicity of an arcade game, nor simpler than previous Total War games. I think about the development of my provinces in Rome II more than I did with its predecessor. Some things are streamlined, like automatic replenishment. While I know that some players don't like this, I see it as removing a repetitive chore. When an army had taken casualties in Rome II, the player still decides whether to wait for a unit to replenish (risking losing a battle because of lack of numbers) or whether to merge depleted units and fill the gaps with either mercenaries (quicker but expensive) or regular troops (slower but cheaper). Arcade games don't have this level of choices and decision-making, in my experience - you're trying to dodge and shoot at the right time (or something similar), they're more about reflexes than decisons.

As for speed, the time it takes to play a Rome II campaign isn't anything like the time to takes to play an arcade game. If you're referring to battles, with the ability to pause and slow down at important moments, a Rome II battle takes as long as we want. If every battle was slower, then campaigns would take a lot longer unless we auto-resolved more battles, which I'd prefer not to do. Of course, I know that different players have different preferences. It's understandable that some players would like battles to be slower and it's great that there are mods which offer this.

In relation to the art style, I'm surprised that anyone would suggest that this is similar to this. The first time that I saw Roman soldiers marching to battle in Rome: Total War (taking that first rebel settlement as the Julii), I thought this was brilliant - I'd not seen anything like it before.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 09, 2019 at 02:13 AM.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

I agree with everything Alwyn has said above. I really don't get the claims that Rome 2 is "arcadey," "simplified" or "dumbed down." I'd argue the building system alone is far more complex than what came before, given you cannot build everything everywhere, but have to put thought into how you make use of the limited building slots. And I find the AI challenging even as I approach 2000 hours of gameplay.

But I respect others feel differently.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I agree that in the Warscape engine (I mean: R2TW/ATW/ToB) you need to plan from the beginning what the final benefits of the buildings in the province will be. I've made a spreadsheet in the past for Attila when I was playing WRE. I've tried to balance all the effects and see how a kind of Tetris should look like. (I've used it for instance to produce this opinion). The DeI system makes it even more well-thought out and rational.

However, in the Medieval 2 engine even if you're free to build pretty everything in a settlement (depending on the castle/city difference, of course) you're still limited - by the money and the building times. Imo, it's a superior system if combined the the fact you're not able to build everything at the same moment - just one building at a time. There's still a choice and if the building times are long enough you also need to plan ahead.

JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Rome Total War is probably the most historically accurate game in perhaps one of the most historically accurate series for pre-industrial (Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai still kinda counts) battles out there. That said, the Total War series is first and foremost a game and not a simulator.

Welcome to TWC, StevenRow11!

I agree that Total War games aren't trying to be simulators. I wonder what specific features of Rome: Total War making it "probably the most historically accurate game" in the series in your view.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    I agree with everything Alwyn has said above. I really don't get the claims that Rome 2 is "arcadey," "simplified" or "dumbed down." I'd argue the building system alone is far more complex than what came before, given you cannot build everything everywhere, but have to put thought into how you make use of the limited building slots. And I find the AI challenging even as I approach 2000 hours of gameplay.

But I respect others feel differently.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. Today, and in the past, cities expand indefinitely and are limited by geography and technology, not by arbitrary "building slots." In fact, in my opinion, public order penalties like "squalor" which provided artificial limits on city population size represent a much more accurate representation of a city. What the original Rome Total War was missing, was penalties for having more buildings. I.e. you'd have to prioritize certain buildings first in order to manage public order and squalor. Mods like Roma Surrectum 2 have done just that, albeit in a limited way. Actually mods like Roma Surrectum 2 are a very good simulation of the period than Rome Total War 2, in my opinion anyway.

Patrician

WD-you find the vanilla game Ai a challenge???Play WOTG with the Super Slaughter sub mod - now that is a challenge!
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; September 05, 2019 at 06:35 PM.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

WD-you find the vanilla game Ai a challenge??? Play WOTG with the Super Slaughter sub mod - now that is a challenge!
    A word of advice Bran. If you actually want to persuade someone, laughing in their face and mocking the way they play is really not the way to go about it.

Welsh Dragon.

Limited building slots and instant diplomacy may indeed make great gameplay, as in pretty much every strategy game players are given a choice with benefits and drawbacks to each. It's certainly a more opaque system to players than the mechanics Rome 2 and Medieval 2 had to limit building everything you have available. What they don't make though is historically accurate/plausible/possible gameplay, as that's not how cities and communication worked then.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast