Thread: Odd Limitations on Construction in Central Asia and India?

Shatov's Avatar Civis

Default Odd Limitations on Construction in Central Asia and India?

Hi guys.

So I've been on a real Iran/Central Asia kick recently so I've been playing a lot of Bactria and Pahlava, but something weird seems to be happening in both: I can't build what I want in Central Asia/India.

First up; as Bactria by turn 350 I've managed to take all of India, Central Asia south of the Steppe zone and Iran, and I'm moving into Mesopotamia, but I'm really annoyed by my inability to develop India. Taxila has a huge population, but can't develop Basilika Patris (doesn't it get this automatically?) so I'm using Satrapy, which for some reason seems to not even be allowing me to build up Hellenistic Polis above minor. I'm really confused. I can't build Armored Elephants. What's the point of being Bactria if you can't finally smash the Seleucids with huge numbers of armored Elephants?

I have Basilike Patris+Hellenistic Metropolis in Baktria, as well as Supervised Administration+Hellenistic Metropolis in Samarkand, and I'm trying to set up the bones of Hellenized administrations in all of the big cities of the Empire.

Something similar seems to be happening with my Pahlavan game. My borders are basically that of the Medieval Khwarezmian Empire with less of Afghanistan, so no Mesopotamia, but I can't seem to develop any eastern provinces above Borderland and can't seem to recruit my basic horse archers in my capital of Ekbatana-Hamadan, which is annoying as it has Royal Satrapy.

What's happening? Could these be related?

Default Re: Odd Limitations on Construction in Central Asia and India?

You can only have three Basilike Patris governments ever, and that requires having at least 22 provinces.

The polis caps at minor in India, that has nothing to do with your government, but a limitation on the upgrade paths for the building. It's too far from the Greek heartland.

Baktria can't currently recruit armoured elephants.

As Pahlava, you should be able to build Satrapies in Syria, Mesopotamia, Persis, Elymais, Media, Areia, as long as the settlement is a City or bigger. Or a Philhellenic Satrapy in any with a polis present.

Royal Satrapies give a local roster plus some elites.

It isn't necessarily advantageous, from a roster perspective, to convert every settlement you can as Pahlava. The Settled Nomadic Territory (the post-reform pastoral government) may be better in some places. That's where all your decent steppe units come from after the reform.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You can only have three Basilike Patris governments ever, and that requires having at least 22 provinces.

The polis caps at minor in India, that has nothing to do with your government, but a limitation on the upgrade paths for the building. It's too far from the Greek heartland.

As Pahlava, you should be able to build Satrapies in Syria, Mesopotamia, Persis, Elymais, Media, Areia, as long as the settlement is a City or bigger. Or a Philhellenic Satrapy in any with a polis present.

It isn't necessarily advantageous, from a roster perspective, to convert every settlement you can as Pahlava. The Settled Nomadic Territory (the post-reform pastoral government) may be better in some places. That's where all your decent steppe units come from after the reform.
    Why cant Baktria recruit armored elephants ?

Shatov's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post

So I'm curious-what's the logic on capping Polis construction in India? I thought the idea with the Steppe was that Hellenized peoples wouldn't want to settle anything north of Chach, which makes sense, but wouldn't lots of smallholders in like Phrygia or Thrace find living like Gods in Taxila or setting up huge market cities in Gujarat attractive?

Quote Originally Posted by Neuchatel View Post
    Why cant Baktria recruit armored elephants ?
    An oversight, though it's never been discussed. At the moment, only Taksashila can recruit them (and Hellenistic factions in Antiocheia, using the stables there).

Quote Originally Posted by Shatov View Post
    So I'm curious-what's the logic on capping Polis construction in India? I thought the idea with the Steppe was that Hellenized peoples wouldn't want to settle anything north of Chach, which makes sense, but wouldn't lots of smallholders in like Phrygia or Thrace find living like Gods in Taxila or setting up huge market cities in Gujarat attractive?
    Because it's much too far away from Greece, ultimately. It can only support a very small Greek community, especially being inland and so different from their native land. The economic pull isn't enough by itself. Thus only the smallest polis is viable.