Thread: A few things about Getai

Default A few things about Getai

The Getai are an interesting barbarian faction. They are probably the most advanced Western(ish) barbarian faction who isn't Celtic (a requirement that, by itself, already kinda eliminates most of them). They're also one of Urban Tribal factions, alongside the Celtiberians and early Takashila. They do not have colonies, don't seem to make any use of pre-existing polies, and their factional government line is quite simple and straight-forward. Medium-tier buildings and good recruitment tier 2 Tribal government on Western Europe tribal lands with 3 free upkeep slots; high-tier buildings and professional recruitment (most notably Galathrakes) tier 3 (and 4) in homelands with 1 free upkeep slot; and a tier 2 cheap economic government without recruitment and 2 free upkeep slots. The governments generally don't put a large economic burden on the provinces, which is nice, and they got access to a lot of nomadic migrations around their starting provinces, allowing for possibly large numbers of Skithian horse archers complementing their fairly good infantry armies.

And that's pretty much everything the manual tells you. What it doesn't tell you is that they have a Ritual of Passage of sorts starting at age 20 in which your young Getai FM will have to pretty much act like a Kingetos. It doesn't tell you to do anything other than avoiding idling and staying in settlements, and I am still to see a instance of failure, but I presume it works mostly like it. It can also be upgraded via battlefield experience later, adding Command, Influence, Confidence, and at the highest levels governance bonuses, like extra Taxes, Unrest Reduction, and Law.

However, you may not want to get it high right away, as the Getai also seem to have some druidic training of sorts, the Telele (or something like that), available after 20 but not with characters who achieved a way too high ranking on the Ritual of Passage trait line. The training happens on any place with a high factional government and doesn't seem to last very long, maybe around 2 years once it start. You will know when your characters are undertaking it due to severely reduced movement speed. Instead of great casualty recovery you get from the time-costly Druidic training, this one gives you a few bonuses related to governance and troop morale, and a new trait, Priestly Diet. I saw two outcomes so far, Hating it (1 Unrest) and Tolerating (no effects). This priest trait can be further upgraded when you reach 25 years and stay some time in Histria, when you start traveling through the helenic world. I succeeded with three characters so far, after roughly a year or two inside the settlement to trigger the travel and a varying but somewhat short period of travel (between 3 turns and two years I'd wager), and the results so far were a +5% bonus to trade. The next step is when the character reaches 35, in yet another province (the one south of the starting capital, forgot it's name). Possibly one more after that. Seems handy and not too much time-consuming, and I had pretty old characters (45) manage to do the training and pilgrimage, so I think it's a bit more lax than the druid line.

Every one of your characters also seem to have another personality trait line, with three values: Autocratic and Monarchist; Independent and Unitarian; Homebound and Adventurous. Seems to be fairly random even for starting characters, but I have absolutely no idea of what they do and how they influence the game.

One of your units, the Getic Spearman, show clearly to have a possible armor upgrade, 1st Reform. I have no idea how to trigger it.

Other than that, all I can say so far about them is their starting position and a few scripts. Most of the provinces around you are fairly well defended, having either large garrisons of high quality troops, patrolling half-stacks, garrison scripts, or both, so your expansion is not exactly care-free. You can achieve all of that by doing well in your fights as I did early on, but I managed to find a path of least resistance. A province north-east of your capital, which is the only other place you can build your highest government form, have a fairly reasonable garrison and no roaming army. Focus on taking it as your first or second conquest. It has mines on it which will fund your war effort and allow you to easily reinforce your conquering stack at your capital to carry on with your conquest. The province directly south to your capital have a half-stack defending it, but they seem to be mostly low-ish tier troops, so would be a fine target as well. Histria is also poorly defended, and an important addition to your empire (pilgrimages, source of Scythian horse-archers), but it is not a good idea to take on it too early on. The place will be crawling with rebel armies, including a script sending Scythian raiding parties and eventually even a full-on invasion (almost full stack), burning the land and taking away any income you can have from it. So better leave it for later when you have the income from other territories to reinforce your armies and deal with these intrusions without crippling your early conquest.

Edit: Regarding Histria, besides the script spawning Scythian warparties on their territory, there's also a script in which they send you 2K in tribute at the spring of every year for protecting them if they remain rebel/independent. However having raiders roaming freely on their lands didn't seem to do anything to make em stop tributing me, so I wonder if there's more to that. I triggered the invasion last game a good while after conquering it.

Well, that's it so far. I am really kinda lost as their entry on the manual didn't tell these points. I know it is a voluntary work, and whoever does it is a hero, but I sincerely hope the manual gets some more info on them soon. It appears from it to be a very bland faction, even more than the Lusitans, but in truth there might be a lot to them. Also, somewhat tangential, I tried reading the triggers and conditions for various greek traits that I believe were bumming my campaign in hopes to find a better way to manage my generals, but I couldn't find nothing. Although a experiment I did seemed to wield fairly well (as in, nobody was kicked out of the agora yet) by making sure EVERYONE stayed at the capital staring at my FL's face until their loyalty was at least 4, so I can presume this is a very important attribute for KH, although I can't be sure.

Anyway, I will add more here when my campaign progresses.
    Last edited by RodriguesSting; March 08, 2019 at 04:59 PM.

Default Re: A few things about Getai

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    Edit: Regarding Histria, besides the script spawning Scythian warparties on their territory, there's also a script in which they send you 2K in tribute at the spring of every year for protecting them if they remain rebel/independent. However having raiders roaming freely on their lands didn't seem to do anything to make em stop tributing me, so I wonder if there's more to that. I triggered the invasion last game a good while after conquering it.
    On the turns when the Skythians spawn, you get 2k. On the turns they don't, you get 500 mnai.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    On the turns when the Skythians spawn, you get 2k. On the turns they don't, you get 500 mnai.
    So you get 500 a turn regardless without a window? Well that's handy to know. I hope you could also clarify the scripts regarding the pilgrimages, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    So you get 500 a turn regardless without a window? Well that's handy to know. I hope you could also clarify the scripts regarding the pilgrimages, as well.
    Not every turn, every summer you get something as long as Histrie is independent. Refreshing my memory, there's actually a check for a battle being fought in the region; if you fight Rebels, you get the big payout. If you don't fight Rebels, small payout.

Sorry, the pilgrimages are traits-related, nothing to do with me. You need Skhan for that.

I would like to add that I didn't manage to activate the second pilgrimage. My FMs waited years on the correct settlement but it never triggered. Maybe it requires a level of factional government, or some action by the generals, I really don't know, I can't read the triggers despite knowing where they are. It is not as straightforward as, say, CK2. So I will need an updated manual. It is really incredible how many neat factional mechanics you guys managed to implement in this engine, but there are still limitations, namely, the size of the text box, so you can't write an essay and keep historical information in it as well.