Thread: [Site Feature] Mention System

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default [Site Feature] Mention System

Was a mention system ever discussed e.g. @UserName (rep-like notification as a result)? I tried searching around but couldn't find a thread. Discord has adopted it recently as part of their functionality but I believe it was originally an idea older than them (twitter?).

I believe it's this mod specifically after a tiny amount of research but I've never tried installing it.
    https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242733

I admit I find it especially useful on the org, whenever people want to get my attention.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: [Site Feature] Mention System

I think you should post this in the Q & S forum or at least post this in the Prothalamos, just to allow all members to post.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I think you should post this in the Q & S forum or at least post this in the Prothalamos, just to allow all members to post.
    It's not really much of an issue of participation here, more so seems a technical question about if it is doable more than anything.

Of which I am not sure of. Don't know how any sort of mention system would work on these Vbulletin boards, I'm not the tech savvy guy in Hex, if it's something we can implement GED/Squid would have to give input and set it up. Too bad you can't mention them here for that...

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

I would very much like fo see a mention system on TWC and I think that it will be a most helpful addition.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

agreed 2 other forums I am on do this and it helps immensely
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by ♔atthias♔ View Post
    agreed 2 other forums I am on do this and it helps immensely
    Perhaps the time has come to actually switch forum software or at least updating the current forum software whenever that's to gonna to happen.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Our current forum uses two DragonByte mods (as indicated above this one is a DragonByte mod as well), so I assume it is just a matter of technical staff applying it if Hex / GED approves.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

I know GED is around, so we could probably discuss the mention system with him. It'll be really helpful indeed
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 14, 2019 at 01:49 PM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Was a mention system ever discussed e.g. @UserName (rep-like notification as a result)? I tried searching around but couldn't find a thread. Discord has adopted it recently as part of their functionality but I believe it was originally an idea older than them (twitter?).

I believe it's this mod specifically after a tiny amount of research but I've never tried installing it.
    https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242733

I admit I find it especially useful on the org, whenever people want to get my attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post15379145

I mentioned a mention system in 2017 in the QnS, Leonardo you said it was a possibility to implement.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

I already messaged Squid and if it's possible, we'll ask GED's opinion about its imlementation

This would be particularly conductive to good debate I think. You can use the mention system to reference, ask, or invite a person into a conversation.

Another voice in support of this. We use it on our internal forum and it's very useful.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I'm all for this, I often see the @name used quite a lot already, having it actually do something would be even better!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

I would also readily throw my hat in the ring to support this.

As mentioned by others, it is a standard on many forms of group chat tools nowadays.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

A system that notified you when quoted would also be a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    I would also readily throw my hat in the ring to support this.

As mentioned by others, it is a standard on many forms of group chat tools nowadays.
    Like the above.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    A system that notified you when quoted would also be a great help.
    As long as that notification can be switched off, sure. I'd find it really annoying getting notifications every time I was quoted, which is very often.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

have to agree with Quintus; I would hate to be swarmed by notifications.. for people like me who work in many different department and/or post around quite a lot, being quoted is a things that happens many times per day.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I'd likely install or something like it but not until all the server/vbulletin upgrades are completed. As far back as 2014 I was working on a quote notification system, though with being inactive or at least mostly so for many years its been left incomplete.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I'd likely install or something like it but not until all the server/vbulletin upgrades are completed. As far back as 2014 I was working on a quote notification system, though with being inactive or at least mostly so for many years its been left incomplete.
    I agree with Squid on this and will also agree with the comments about turning off the notifications. I read through the plugin thread on vbulletin.org and I have 2 problems with the one that was linked to.

1. Its email based. It should be PM based.
    2. The one that is PM based the notification cannot be turned off.

If you guys run across one that meets those requirements I will take a look at it and if Squid approves the code behind it we can try one. I am not going to go looking for new plugins right now as I already have a pile of work to do, but if someone digs one up I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    have to agree with Quintus; I would hate to be swarmed by notifications.. for people like me who work in many different department and/or post around quite a lot, being quoted is a things that happens many times per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    As long as that notification can be switched off, sure. I'd find it really annoying getting notifications every time I was quoted, which is very often.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I agree with Squid on this and will also agree with the comments about turning off the notifications. I read through the plugin thread on vbulletin.org and I have 2 problems with the one that was linked to.

1. Its email based. It should be PM based.
    2. The one that is PM based the notification cannot be turned off.

If you guys run across one that meets those requirements I will take a look at it and if Squid approves the code behind it we can try one. I am not going to go looking for new plugins right now as I already have a pile of work to do, but if someone digs one up I will check it out.
    Thanks! It would be really nice if we could have it at some point, with the option to switch it notifications off, if possible.