Thread: [Discussion] The Meaning of Citizenship

Default [Discussion] The Meaning of Citizenship

THIS IS ANOTHER BRAINSTORM CONCEPT

In the thread, Curia Reboot, I discuss the history of citizenship.

In the beginning, citizenship had what I believe a better explanation or description.
    To serve as a inspiration to the rest of the forum, so that members, in aspiring to join this elite group, would, in turn, demonstrate this worth through merit, good actions, and worthy debate, and in doing so enlarge and advance the purpose of this forum, which is to act as a conduit of discussion between individuals of different race, nationality, sex, etc. and in doing so, enlarge and expand the intellectual breadth of its members.
    The current description is this;
    Citizenship is the fundamental award given1 by the Curia for contributions to the site and community of TWC.
    The argument to make is that simple would lead to more patronage, but the more detail description has some important details.

To serve as a inspiration to the rest of the forum
    As citizens, we are the "model" member of the site and therefore we should inspire good postings and behavior. It also charges all citizens towards this goal.

... members, in aspiring to join this elite group, would, in turn, demonstrate this worth through merit, good actions, and worthy debate...
    Currently, people are not impressed with citizenship. We are not aspiring anyone to join our cause of promoting the very virtues expounded above. It is more likely the candidate exhibit these traits almost in spite of some behaviors observe by some citizens. Moreover, the description focuses on attitude and behavior rather than a specific contribution.

A direct contribution is fine, but if you overemphasize it you run the risk of an ever-increasing standard. I believe this is what has happened to citizenship. This is why with the removing of the CdeC patronage did not rise. Elitism based on contribution led to an increasingly higher standard which led to less and less patronage. Meanwhile, the site was growing. Many went unrecognized. Many unrecognized would have been so if they had been active in the beginning. It is not surprising that the Curia was viewed as elitist and cliquish.

The system is not flawed. The real people to blame are the patrons, for they are expected to be interested in finding excellent members to nominate and gain clients. The very responsibility of this system lies in the individual, not the government. .../
    I believe this is true today. There are plenty of members who would be more active if we were better at recognizing them.

The old description would be better today. However, it could use some honing to recognize modding. (Keep in mind the Artifex was originally an honorary title).

I would also ask that people consider contributing to the Quaestor idea. It is a rough draft, so input would be invaluable to make it presentable in the Prothalomos. I fear that many do not patronize because they are not aware of how simple it is to do.

I will share my formula for the applicant's paragraphs
    What brought you to TWC
    Why did you decide to stay
    How have you contributed to TWC (provide links)
    Why do you want to be a citizen?

Now, I would add...
    In what ways do you think you can inspire other members to demonstrate good postings?

The patron's paragraph;
    How did you first noticed the member?
    Why do you think he/ she will make an inspiring member of the community?

I would also add, for debaters that we suspend the need to have 20+ samples of their posts. Maybe just 5 ideal posts.
    Perhaps this simple template would be more amenable to potential patrons.

In this brainstorm discussion, I discuss a new disciplinary procedure. Additionally, I would consider reducing the Moderation warning to 3 months. This way the 3 months period after successfully being voted in would ultimately be 6 months. A stricter code of conduct would help promote the new emphasis on being a model member and less on actual contribution.

All of these are brainstorm ideas and admittedly I think they work best in tandem. Gentleman, the engine is cooling. We need to bring in new blood. Moving the Prothalomos will not promote great postings or an "institution" that has been an attraction for TWC from the very beginning.

More to come; new and old ideas.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: [Discussion] The Meaning of Citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    THIS IS ANOTHER BRAINSTORM CONCEPT

In the thread, Curia Reboot, I discuss the history of citizenship.
    Then this brainstorm discussion thread belongs to that thread and not be a separate thread.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Default Re: [Discussion] The Meaning of Citizenship

I am not going to copy and paste the same thing in each thread of different ideas. I copied the relevant portions for this discussion. Anyone is welcome to read the other thread for a more complete summary.