Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [Discussion] What can the Curia do for Total War Center?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Discussion] What can the Curia do for Total War Center?

You can not say that it hasn't been proposed already several times by the past. So far, the curia has just... ignored it.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

It is not in the Curia's remit to operate anything long term. This is why a committee was created that is a de facto staff position to run the awards. I can recall I once wanted to split the Creator's responsibilities up I had assigned a Curia oversight to ensure the continuous operation of the modding awards and I was told that was unnecessary since the admin had now taken responsibility for it.

Anyway, members do not become citizens to become site staff unless that's how they acquired citizenship through that type of contribution.

Whether or not the site could continue to host modding awards would large depend on the success of the Modding Staff to promote the site, but the last I heard is that is not going to happen. Moreover, with declining activity it is unlikely any awards would garner enough interest to warrant the effort to host them. This is the reality of our new Normal.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The curia needs to want to do it as well for it to be a thing. You can post a call to arms to see if people are interested, but I think it would be ill fated to not have it its own system that curial members can then add themselves to if they want to do it, as compared to it being a curial responsibility.

Alas, the Curia is not so cohesive, at least in its current state, that it alone can be depended on as a maintaining resource for things.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Yes, true and i would be on board with any discussion.
    I would like to move on this, but I think it's evident that the key link in doing absolutely anything is having GED on board and doing, so I intend to delay until he's on an active stretch and run some thoughts by him before going into that here again.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; June 15, 2019 at 06:04 AM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    You can not say that it hasn't been proposed already several times by the past. So far, the curia has just... ignored it.
    Not "ignored it". The Curia has just been shut down by Flinn when it thinks of doing anything, despite the dedicated Modding Awards team not doing their job particularly well (to be brutally frank).

Blog Entries

Well, I can't remember it was working better when you were part of it to be frank as well.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 16, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Well, I can't remember it was working better when you were part of it to be frank as well.
    Exactly.

I can't find the Nominations thread, and the polls don't say how long they last for so these are all guesses but it looks like last year, when I was one of the members, it ran like this:

- Started May 10th (the first public post on the Discussion thread)
    - Polls opened late June (presumably the 27th)
    - Results were announced July 12
    - There were only 13 members, with varying activity with you, Flinn and I probably having the highest activity.

Basically I think the Curia should be given a hand in it because its basically a large body of members who are all centered in this 1 part of the forums.

- You need more members
    - You need to start earlier
    - Don't do what we did last year, where we worked out every single mod that would be eligible ourselves. Repeat this year's method of just double checking what people nominate
    - EXCEPT, do the double-checking THROUGHOUT the nominations period. That way you can start the vote a day or two after the nominations close, since you'll have done all the work already

Why should modders care about being given an award if it's like 7 to 19 months after they even did the work? It should be at the start of the year so its relevant.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

But what precisely does it mean to give the Curia a hand in it? Is it a draft of curial members, or a volunteer thing? If the former, I wouldn't expect it to work. Only people who care in the first place are going to want to spend time for it. If the latter, it seems like something that the organizers should pose openly, not just the curia, to find all interested members for. The Curia can certainly be useful for recruitment, but ideally, people are found who have a drive, and the most successful way I can think of is properly detailing an inquiry as to what's expected and then, with the facts laid out, promote the information so that those with a passion may give it a go. In effect, something that the committee as it is must have it within themselves to seek out.

Blog Entries

@ Caligula, you definitively need to have a look at the Modding Awards forum. If so, you'd have noticed that rules have changed.
    About the curia, I think that your view of it is childish. There may be many citizens but just check how many are regularly active here nowadays?
    If you think that the curia can do it better. Go ahead. Set up your committee and I'll gladly let you organise the next edition.
    That will give me more free time for other things

All annual awards should be in January or February at the latest.
    It was mostly citizens initiative that kick-started the Modding Awards last time. Ultimately, it will take a dedicated members and admin to keep it going.
    The Curia is not set up to deal with site operations, this is why there admins and staff to begin with.

Blog Entries

Nvm

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hopefully some good discussion came from this and some people were able to take something away and run with it in the future...hopefully .

Closing and archiving for now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345