Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it Game Over on the climate front?

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Is it Game Over on the climate front?

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    I am not asking you to watch it a second time. Your memory seems to have slightly changed his discourse, his whole point is actually is based on the fact there is liquid water 4.4 Gyr ago. Something you are not contesting in regards of your first message on the video. So I find your attitude inappropriate against him.
    Whew. He used the word 'dominated'. Maybe that means something different to you.

Do not confuse quaternary ice ages with the older periods. The older ice age happened on a context of weaker solar radiation (I already explained my point about this aspect of stellar evolution, you didn't reply so I assume you are agreeing on this matter). In these situations, older of hundreds of millions of years, the ppm of CO2 can be above 1000 and still not be able to compensate the whole solar radiation fainter than in our recent era.
    I wouldn't be so sure about the fainter sun hypothesis. That is based primarily on Earth study and observations. You're talking about a period of time when there was a lot of cometary activity in the solar system. The cooling could just as easily been brought about by cometary material obstructing solar radiation. Presently the earth travels through the comet Eche twice a year and that tail is 30 million miles wide. The situation back in a previous epoch could have been far worse.

Again the same rejection based on no scientific argument. They are evil, they talk about climate change so climate change is hoax. You have no care about my arguments that the consensus on climate change was already displayed in the 1960s, far before any politicization. Neither that most of the denier stuff you posted here used lies and manipulation to build their discourse, totally hypocritical to be blind on this matter.
    No one is saying climate change is a hoax. Why do you keep saying that? There was no consensus on climate change in the 1960s just as there is no consensus now. In the 1970s, the prevailing assumption was global cooling. Going further, are you accusing Happer of manipulating data?

Yeah, IPCC is evil so you are not paying attention to my arguments. Didn't even care to reply as always. You continue your political babbling and try to move the topic on more political arguments totally irrelevant to the current talk.
    Duh, this is the political mudpit. Why are you assuming that I am calling the IPCC evil? The simple fact is that they are pursuing a political agenda.

Back to your recent list of videos. The second "What happened the last time the earth warmed?" is just more alarmist crap produced to support the global warming theory. I've already seen it. The third video, however, might be worthy of discussion, but I'll have to take it bit by bit. Like I said, I'm very busy and this subject is not my primary interest. The only reason I'm commenting is because it is political and so much BS is coming from your side of the fence.
    Last edited by B. W.; December 15, 2019 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    No one is saying climate change is a hoax. Why do you keep saying that? There was no consensus on climate change in the 1960s just as there is no consensus now. In the 1970s, the prevailing assumption was global cooling.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial

Climate change denial, or global warming denial is denial, dismissal, or unwarranted doubt that contradicts the scientific consensus on climate change, including the extent to which it is caused by humans, its effects on nature and human society, or the potential of adaptation to global warming by human actions. Many who deny, dismiss, or hold unwarranted doubt about the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming self-label as "climate change skeptics", which several scientists have noted is an inaccurate description. Climate change denial can also be implicit, when individuals or social groups accept the science but fail to come to terms with it or to translate their acceptance into action. Several social science studies have analyzed these positions as forms of denialism, pseudoscience, or propaganda.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Whew. He used the word 'dominated'. Maybe that means something different to you.
    I wouldn't be so sure about the fainter sun hypothesis. That is based primarily on Earth study and observations. You're talking about a period of time when there was a lot of cometary activity in the solar system. The cooling could just as easily been brought about by cometary material obstructing solar radiation. Presently the earth travels through the comet Eche twice a year and that tail is 30 million miles wide. The situation back in a previous epoch could have been far worse.
    Firstly, he says that like today the Earth was dominated by water. By that he probably means liquid water covering most of the surface. So actually I don't see how you are disagreeing with him and I really don't understand your comment saying he is off by 400 Myr.

Secondly, are you sure to have listened to the video? Because Alley at this exact moment of the video is telling us that the theory of the early Sun being dimmer comes from astrophysics and not geological evidences (google Carl Sagan). This is stellar evolution. I have really the feeling you are not understanding a tiny bit of the topic. Only acting with bad faith and provocative attitude.

There was no consensus on climate change in the 1960s just as there is no consensus now.
    Yes there was already a consensus on the fact that CO2 is a significant greenhouse gas and plays a major role in Earth climate.

From the work of Gilbert Norman Plass in the 1950s, a lot of scientists became convinced about the theory of Arrhenius and Callendar because he gave physical evidences from observation for the process which make the CO2 a significant greenhouse gas.
    https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...nd-the-climate

I already shared the report from the president’s Science Advisory Committee on the matter. It shows how the scientific community reacted to the evidences:

Now explain me why the president’s Science Advisory Committee supported in 1965 the scientific basis about human-induced climate change through dioxide carbon emissions.
    http://www.climatefiles.com/climate-...arbon-dioxide/

Why the National Academies published "Carbon Dioxide and Climate A Scientific Assessment" in 1979?
    https://www.nap.edu/catalog/12181/ca...fic-assessment

Why so early then?

Why Exxon knew this was already something scientifically based in 1982?
    https://insideclimatenews.org/sites/...e%20Effect.pdf
    http://www.climatefiles.com/exxonmob...nhouse-effect/
    These documents do not match your view that the actual position of the scientific community is based on a political agenda.

The only reason I'm commenting is because it is political and so much BS is coming from your side of the fence.
    What bothers me is that you are ignoring totally the BS coming from your own side. You posted several times link from blogs accusing scientists of fraud but all the times I checked their arguments, it was blatant lies and manipulation grounding their arguments and the scientists were not acting bad on anything.

I even checked the method of one of your source and I simply discovered their comparison was wrong:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...7#post15804797

The most funny was your childish reaction about it:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15805205

I was simply doing exactly what your source was demonstrating with his comparison, downloading the datasets he told us in the blog post. It doesn't hold. But you shouted that the data are invalidated in a mind-blowing circular logic among the worst displayed here. The whole point of the guy was "proving" the scientific datasets have been tampered using the actual datasets from the scientists to caught them in act. I simply shown that doesn't hold by repeating what he did but anyway for your fact-proof confirmation bias that cannot be done because... the data are invalidated. So when the guy proved that the dataset has changed a lot, it was ok to use the data from these scientists, when I proved it was not the case with the data from these scientists, magically it became not ok for you.

The same when I tried to show you how there are blatant lies and manipulation on your own side, simply to raise your skepticism on a more honest level and to remove your double standard:

B.W. can I have your opinion on this figure shared by WUWT in an article?

This figure is misleading because it took the two datasets from two different institutions without considering that they have different baselines for the reference.

Are you comfortable with this level of evident dishonesty? This level of lie?

Same question for Common Soldier too.
    And your reply was childish and besides the point, always sticking to the same circular logic:
    HaHaHa! There you go again. The Met Office has already been involved in its own data tampering. I posted about it awhile back. The charts essentially mean nothing because they've both bogus. Going further, the article, once again, proves my point that data has been tampered with.

The sad thing is, that by tampering with the data it will be extremely difficult for any sane person to believe anything these national weather services produce because they've now been proven to be corrupt. Those buggers have done a disservice to real scientists in every field.
    Besides the topic about the climate data tampered or not, this figure used by contrarians is a blatant lie. This is a manipulation, period. That was the only point of my message, showing you that your own side do not hesitate to make up manipulation stories, to build a misleading figure to make you believe the scientists are lying to you.

I have an issue about how you fall easily for any trick and easy manipulation from your own side. For example about the USHCN records prior to 1960s, accepting raw data without any critical thinking:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15805595

And again you replied besides the point.

All the time it ends like this. I gave you arguments against your view, trying to discuss the core of your own arguments. You reacted with a simple rejection by source. Exactly what you did as well with the talk about plants and CO2 we just had.
    Last edited by Genava; December 15, 2019 at 06:11 AM.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Hahaha! Left-winger cites left-wing Wikipedia to prove his point! I'm not a climate change denier.

Firstly, he says that like today the Earth was dominated by water. By that he probably means liquid water covering most of the surface. So actually I don't see how you are disagreeing with him and I really don't understand your comment saying he is off by 400 Myr.

Secondly, are you sure to have listened to the video? Because Alley at this exact moment of the video is telling us that the theory of the early Sun being dimmer comes from astrophysics and not geological evidences (google Carl Sagan). This is stellar evolution. I have really the feeling you are not understanding a tiny bit of the topic. Only acting with bad faith and provocative attitude.

Yes there was already a consensus on the fact that CO2 is a significant greenhouse gas and plays a major role in Earth climate.

From the work of Gilbert Norman Plass in the 1950s, a lot of scientists became convinced about the theory of Arrhenius and Callendar because he gave physical evidences from observation for the process which make the CO2 a significant greenhouse gas.
    https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...nd-the-climate

I already shared the report from the president’s Science Advisory Committee on the matter. It shows how the scientific community reacted to the evidences:

These documents do not match your view that the actual position of the scientific community is based on a political agenda.

What bothers me is that you are ignoring totally the BS coming from your own side. You posted several times link from blogs accusing scientists of fraud but all the times I checked their arguments, it was blatant lies and manipulation grounding their arguments and the scientists were not acting bad on anything.

I even checked the method of one of your source and I simply discovered their comparison was wrong:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...7#post15804797

The most funny was your childish reaction about it:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15805205

I was simply doing exactly what your source was demonstrating with his comparison, downloading the datasets he told us in the blog post. It doesn't hold. But you shouted that the data are invalidated in a mind-blowing circular logic among the worst displayed here. The whole point of the guy was "proving" the scientific datasets have been tampered using the actual datasets from the scientists to caught them in act. I simply shown that doesn't hold by repeating what he did but anyway for your fact-proof confirmation bias that cannot be done because... the data are invalidated. So when the guy proved that the dataset has changed a lot, it was ok to use the data from these scientists, when I proved it was not the case with the data from these scientists, magically it became not ok for you.

The same when I tried to show you how there are blatant lies and manipulation on your own side, simply to raise your skepticism on a more honest level and to remove your double standard:

And your reply was childish and besides the point, always sticking to the same circular logic:

Besides the topic about the climate data tampered or not, this figure used by contrarians is a blatant lie. This is a manipulation, period. That was the only point of my message, showing you that your own side do not hesitate to make up manipulation stories, to build a misleading figure to make you believe the scientists are lying to you.

I have an issue about how you fall easily for any trick and easy manipulation from your own side. For example about the USHCN records prior to 1960s, accepting raw data without any critical thinking:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15805595

And again you replied besides the point.

All the time it ends like this. I gave you arguments against your view, trying to discuss the core of your own arguments. You reacted with a simple rejection by source. Exactly what you did as well with the talk about plants and CO2 we just had.
    First of all you didn't answer my question about Dr. Happer. Why is that a problem?

Secondly, I am not going to take another look at Alley's presentation. His voice drives me crazy.

Thirdly, since you mentioned Carl Sagan, between you and me I would bet money that I'm the only one who actually met him.

Fourth, Despite the claims of some physicists, I don't think the issue of less solar radiation in previous epochs is entirely settled.

Fifth, rehashing old claims and expecting a different result considering we are diametrically opposed in our views is going nowhere.

Now, moving forward, I watched Dr. Wing's presentation and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. That doesn't mean I agreed with all his conclusions, especially with regards to the IPCC charts, but you already know that. The IPCC has lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. With that said, I don't think he and I are that far apart on some issues.

Hahaha! Left-winger cites left-wing Wikipedia to prove his point! I'm not a climate change denier.
    Practically every term you used here is inapplicable.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Fourth, Despite the claims of some physicists, I don't think the issue of less solar radiation in previous epochs is entirely settled.
    Do you know on what this theory is grounded? That's not the claims of "some" physicists.

First of all you didn't answer my question about Dr. Happer. Why is that a problem?
    I replied to his argument about CO2 benefits actually.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

@B.W. LOL you have an uncanny ability to just refuse facts. What do you think is going to happen if the USA is finally signing and keeping to a climate control agreement? Are puppies gonna explode or something? I just don't get how you have not only the impudence, but also the drive to say what you are saying.

Do you know on what this theory is grounded? That's not the claims of "some" physicists.
    Okay, I'll give you that most Physicists agree with Alley's assertion, but that does make it right. It doesn't explain snowball earth while the opacity of cometary particals could explain what caused it.

I replied to his argument about CO2 benefits actually.
    That was a little vague. You still didn't answer the question: "Do you think Happer falsified his evidence?"

I think I'm beginning to see what is going on here. You think I am denying that CO2 affects atmospheric conditions. That is not the case. The warmists (that's you) are arguing that it is the principal driver of Earth's climate and I am stating that it is only one of many factors.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

I think I'm beginning to see what is going on here. You think I am denying that CO2 affects atmospheric conditions. That is not the case. The warmists (that's you) are arguing that it is the principal driver of Earth's climate and I am stating that it is only one of many factors.
    Don't bother, I tried to explain this to him months ago- it completely went over his head- he's too busy re-posting those same old graphs that we all know were manipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Stario View Post
    he's too busy re-posting those same old graphs that we all know were manipulated.
    The conspiracies are real.

We're having one of the worst mass extinctions that ever happened on planet earth. By the year 2100 we might actually be in severe trouble ourselves. What is the benefit of denying sceintifically established facts? Are you sleeping any better?

30 feet of snow in Iceland-new record-. 80 horses freeze to death, mass ice sheet gain on Greenland, mini ice age predicted:

https://electroverse.net/icelands-em...rs-under-snow/

30 feet of snow in Iceland-new record-. 80 horses freeze to death, mass ice sheet gain on Greenland, mini ice age predicted:

I'm aware. The scientist who made that prediction is a Russian lady, i forgot her name.

It is simply not enough. We are heating up the climate way faster than the sun can bless us with a lack of solar activity (it's actually only about a bunch of dark spots on the sun).

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

No snow in Czech Republic, winter without snow. Global warming confirmed....
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

I mean, if we're going by anectotal evidence now... The Dutch used to have this lovely tradition of ice-skating between the 11 Frisian cities over frozen canals and such if the ice was thick enough for this to be safe. A complete circuit runs for about 200 kilometres in total. They began officially in 1909 and the event has taken place 14 more times in the years thereafter.

There hasn't been one of these skating marathons since 1997.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Note that this in and of itself isn't all that much evidence, as while the odds of this event being possible in the future have declined, the specific chance of it happening depends largely on conditions like wind direction over a larger period of time. The point is that anecdotes by themselves don't say much about larger trends.
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; December 20, 2019 at 05:55 PM.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Any time someone wants to talk about how cold it happens to be outside in a given area or the rocks outside their house, the only response necessary is this image:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

I'd rather talk about "climate activists" not even mentioning China or India. What a joke this whole pathetic "movement" is.

Wtf? China and India's CO2 output is well known and discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Any time someone wants to talk about how cold it happens to be outside in a given area or the rocks outside their house, the only response necessary is this image:
    Beat you to it.
    Last edited by The spartan; December 20, 2019 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Wtf? China and India's CO2 output is well known and discussed.
    People who talk and criticize China and India's GHG output only do so because they don't understand the goals set out by the Paris Agreement for those particular countries. China and India are ahead of the curve actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    People who talk and criticize China and India's GHG output only do so because they don't understand the goals set out by the Paris Agreement for those particular countries. China and India are ahead of the curve actually.
    Oh sure, they don't quite have the same denial problem as the US and are taking more effective steps, but they still are known as major contributors.
    Last edited by The spartan; December 20, 2019 at 09:37 PM.