Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what exactly are they saying on the campaign & battle maps anyway? My transliterations!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon5 So what exactly are they saying on the campaign & battle maps anyway? My transliterations!

EBII is a truly wonderful cosmopolitan and multicultural experience where you get to command and kill lots of people who speak those funny foreign languages, all of which are now basically extinct or have evolved into very different modern tongues. Through the context of giving orders on the battle map, I get a kick out of being able to learn snippets of some Old/Classical Latin and Koine Greek, but even Semitic Punic spoken by the Carthaginians (also used for Arab factions) and Middle Persian spoken by eastern units. The Iberian, Celtic and Germanic factions have also been given a lot of love with full voice mods to match those of the Greeks. Even the Indian units of Taksashila (Taxila) are speaking what I assume is Sanskrit. The only major ancient tongue missing here is Classical Chinese of the late Warring States, Qin, and Han periods of China, and I guess the still undeciphered Epi-Olmec language of the Isthmian script from ancient Mexico.

For those directly involved in the voice mods of the game, I welcome you to come here and offer some neat translations of some of the commands and replies spoken on both the campaign and battle maps for various cultures and factions. In the meantime, however, I'll offer my own interpretations of what I think they're saying! Feel free to correct them, of course.

The Greeks and Hellenistic armies
    Etae paenes hellenon! - "Eat these pies, they're from Helen's mom." [Whenever there is a victory, or also just as a pre-battle taunt.]
    Zeus pater nike! - "Zeus's father wears Nike[-brand shoes]". [Whenever you have victory on the campaign map.]
    Barbaroi ientae! - "Barber shops aplenty!" [Taunting enemies on the campaign map when you click on them.]

Celtic units
    Reegun! - "[Ronald] Reagan!" [whenever you have them grab a siege tower]
    Kweenatae! Kweenatae! - "Queen is gay! Queen is gay!" [Taunting their enemies on the battle map.]
    Nee mana tribus! - "Kneel on my tree bus!" [Again, taunting their enemies on the battle map.]

Roman units
    Turis parataes - "Tourist parrot pies!" [Whenever they grab a siege tower on the battle map.]
    Turis ambalatoria - "Tourists have an ambient aura." [Again, siege towers.]
    Scalae paratisan! - "[Chief Justice] Scalia was a partisan!" [Whenever they grab siege ladders.]

Semitic units
    La gata hali ma! Hahaha! - I don't even know how to make fun of this! [Taunting on the battle map.]
    Dos a regun - "A dose of [Ronald] Reagan." [Grabbing a siege engine like a ram.]

Default Re: So what exactly are they saying on the campaign & battle maps anyway? My transliterations!

I also would love this.

Default Re: So what exactly are they saying on the campaign & battle maps anyway? My transliterations!

Oh dear, he has escaped from the horrible suggestions thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Who has let him escape from that cage? I demand the head of the guilty!

Btw: Funny post Roma. +1 rep from me for the lols

Edti: I actually have to spread some more rep before giving it again to you
    Last edited by Lusitanio; March 07, 2019 at 12:39 PM.

More transliterations:

Romans taunting on the battlefield, saying something that sounds like: "tur pissinem mae bodae" or as I like to think of it, "turds pissing in my body!"

Celts taunting on the battlefield and campaign map, saying something like "KAH...TOU!!!" Sounds more like "cow toe" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    I also would love this.
    Translating the battle map commands for our entertainment helps to kill bugs and guarantees TWC citizenship! Would you like to know more?

https://dz7u9q3vpd4eo.cloudfront.net...b9b8532f34.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I'm not the one who's crazy. You're the one who's crazy, Rad. That's why I've locked and quarantined you and all the other doctors into the west wing of the asylum where you belong and where you can be safe from harm. It's not safe to go outside, Rad, what with the gigantic reincarnations of Greek statues from EBII coming to life and roaming around eating people. Thank me later, bro! You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckitz View Post
    It's impossible to even think about
    Anything's possible with Quintus Sertorius leading our team at EBII.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    Your post should come with a spoiler alert!
    Which part exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Who has let him escape from that cage? I demand the head of the guilty!

Btw: Funny post Roma. +1 rep from me for the lols

Edti: I actually have to spread some more rep before giving it again to you
    Thanks dude.

It's impossible to even think about

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Your post should come with a spoiler alert!

Campidoctor

Do Celts on campaign map in 2.35 still say in a gruff voice, "I'm her mom"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    Do Celts on campaign map in 2.35 still say in a gruff voice, "I'm her mom"?
    That they do! I hear it broken down as "An-hra-man!"

More transliterations, you guys! EBII voice modders are welcome to come in here any time and correct these, which are possibly slanderous. Until then, however, my transliterations will be chiseled in stone as EBII canon, and nobody can refute them until they are formally and officially rebuked by a clear veto-proof majority of the EBII team.

Iberians on the battle map:

Kumtranoshro! - "Kumar is a no show!" [In reference to Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, no doubt.]
    Skudanai! - "Scuba guy!" [Apparently the Iberian tribes enjoy deep sea diving.]
    Ippones! - "Hey ponies!" [I guess they're talking down to the horses they're riding on.]
    Korko kora toro! - "[Put a] cork in that [Benecio Del] Toro!" [I'm guessing they're not a huge fan of his acting work.]

Once again, Greeks on the battle map:
    Aspidas kotetos! - "These speedos have asbestos!" [Better not wear them then!]
    ULATAETAE! - "A lot of gays!" [Now that's not a nice thing to say about the Theban Sacred Band, is it?]
    ALALA! - "Law! Law! Law!" [Lawyers should go back to the courtroom where they belong, not the battlefield.]

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    ALALA! - "Law! Law! Law!" [Lawyers should go back to the courtroom where they belong, not the battlefield.]
    If you were Italian this one would carry a much different, much darker meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alala

Even after countless hours of playing, I still can't unhear it.

When the Celtic Helvetii spearmen say "Gaisoualos" on the battlefield, I guess what they're trying to tell me is that guys are swallows (i.e. a type of bird), or that guys swallow, which would be gay. Perhaps they're trying to insult the pederast Greeks arrayed before them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    You click an Indian unit on the campaign map:

- Gimme tea!
    Nice, although now I cannot unhear that one, so thanks a lot, pal. You ruined it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post

I was well aware about the war cry of the Greeks, but this thread is for silliness only, with a dash of seriousness for when people come in with actual translations like I called for!

Nice, although now I cannot unhear that one, so thanks a lot, pal. You ruined it for me.
    Happy to help strappyhorse
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post

I have his image of an entire hoplite army charging toward their enemy singing LALALA.

I think I hurt myself. I can't breath.

Celtic units with rams:
    Wanobee! - "Obi-wan Kanobi!"
    Et-barrrr-gows! - "Embargoes!"

Roman Evocatae veterans:
    Cohors Evocatae! - "Coke whores with evocative cat eyes!"

I can only try to imagine what this world looks and sounds like through the eyes and ears of Roma Victrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmetiacos View Post
    Heh. What they're actually saying is, "Brigan!" (take the) tower! "Krinete!" tremble! and "Ni lamatrebas!" You won't dare...!
    Nice! Thank you kindly for sharing. I'm glad to see that someone is finally taking this thread seriously, instead of amusing themselves with my jokes.

By all means, share more!

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I can only try to imagine what this world looks and sounds like through the eyes and ears of Roma Victrix.
    You wouldn't enjoy my reality. Through my eyes, everyone just looks and sounds like a Japanese heavy metal band from the 1980s, including you.

You wouldn't enjoy my reality. Through my eyes, everyone just looks and sounds like a Japanese heavy metal band from the 1980s, including you.
    Good Lord.

Celtic units
    Reegun! - "[Ronald] Reagan!" [whenever you have them grab a siege tower]
    Kweenatae! Kweenatae! - "Queen is gay! Queen is gay!" [Taunting their enemies on the battle map.]
    Nee mana tribus! - "Kneel on my tree bus!" [Again, taunting their enemies on the battle map.]
    Heh. What they're actually saying is, "Brigan!" (take the) tower! "Krinete!" tremble! and "Ni lamatrebas!" You won't dare...!
    Resident Language Geek
    Baseless Assertions on the Celts Since 1996

I still can't get over the fact that Persians in game apparently worship Ori....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast