Thread: Will there be a REMASTERED version of RoTK?

Default Will there be a REMASTERED version of RoTK?

We all dreamed of a day where we could mod every aspect of M2TW, and that day has arrived. Kinda. With the last update for Rome Total War Remastered, you can add as much faction, settlement, religion and units as you want. The graphic looks pretty good and from what I've heard, there isn't any Total War to date that is easier to mod (including scripting and mission and all that). So with that in mind I was curious if there was any thought to remaster this great mod (the greatest in my opinion)?

(link if the vid do not work : https://youtu.be/BbRxlqofK2E)

Last edited by R.P. Gryphus; December 08, 2021 at 12:20 PM.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Will there be a REMASTERED version of RoTK?

I actually mentioned the newest Rome Remastered patch to Gig the other day and a comment to the effect of "porting would be a nightmare" came up during our discussion. Now, it's just speculation that porting a Medieval 2 mod to the Remastered would be a nightmare, but as of right now there aren't any plans by either of us to port over RoTK. That could change, of course, once Medieval 2 Remastered is released and gets the same modding capabilities as Rome Remastered (which may be Day 1 or 6 months after release). We just don't have a definitive position on it and will have to wait until the game actually releases.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

It's nice to hear that you'd actually consider doing that in case of a Medieval 2 remaster!
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Also you seem to suggest a Medieval 2 remastered is imminent. Maybe I am more pessimist than you are. I doubt we'll ever see that remastered version, but I am confident that one day we will have a Medieval 3. I also believe one of the reason they did Rome remastered is because they are pretty much done with this time period, with Rome, Rome 2, Attila, and the last Rome remastered.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

No, I don't think it's imminent. But, for all we know, they could be working on it as we speak. Or not. Have no idea. After all, the announcement of Rome Remastered came out of thin air.

The problem with porting a Medieval II Kingdoms mod back to Rome (even the remastered) is compatibility. Textures, models, campaign and battle maps, many aspects of scripting, and small list of other things are not quite the same and, in a few cases, totally incompatible. It's much easier to port Rome > Medieval II and add/improve stuff, then port the opposite way and then have to take away stuff/downgrade/hammer out incompatibilities.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Just an old man's reminiscence: RotK was originally ported from RTW to M2TW - the way I did it initially was to only use the stuff in the 'world' directory and add religion to descr_regions, 'scrub' descr_strat and plop it into my trusty Bare Geomod. And then adding back all the units painstakingly (CAS to MESH, modelDB entries etc) to get the original EDB working. From the initial map teaser back in 2012 (with RTW UI, no battle models) to the first full release was a fairly long road....

So yeah - porting a full mod backward is an even greater nightmare as Seether alludes to, certainly where time is involved. And most of it is in the battle models. Scripting, which I think is one of the major draw points of RotK would need a total do-over because a good number of script commands simply don't exist, like the very simple yes\no event message (Do you want assassins?). If M2TW gets remastered and I am still the master of my faculties then I could be enticed to give it a shot.
    An RorK back to RTW remastered would basically a total redo, not a porting, as even the map has a different approach now afaik.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I know, sorry about that. Just crossed my mind - would it actually be possible to port the settlements? They were developed from scratch for M2TW...