Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Discussion] TWC Milestone Award modifications

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Discussion] TWC Milestone Award modifications

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    IIRC this has been discussed already (to make it a progressive medal) and it was rejected at the time; I'd prefer to stick to the actual award, please consider that 10k posts in 10 years is not a huge number. Afaik this awards was intended by GED (who originally proposed it) to reward those members who have been active (and not just "present") in the site during a very long period (thus the 10k posts limit).

I can understand that not everybody could reach this amount of posts, but then rather than changing the Milestone award (the name in itself has a specific mean) I'd rather propose another, different award.
    This is my opinion as well. I would much rather see a different award.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The 'TWC Feet\Yardstone Awards'?

The proposed steps (same time, reduced post count) appear fine, plus the mandatory 'still active' definition is in. I am on the fence about individual awards.
    Seeing that all this requires is a simple data base query (which requires admin clearance) I am not sure why a committee is getting involved.

That reminds me: who stole my 'ten pence'? Don't care if it is gold or the old one - I want it back!

Edit: it's still in my award list, am I running out of display space?
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 11, 2019 at 12:11 AM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Hey good idea, it didn't occur to me to think in technical terms. Maybe an automated (or just saved fot reference) script that can be run by others seeing as it would be a simple SQL statement with a where clause?

Although I am slightly disappointed the curia doesn't get to make giant lists, seeing as its a favourite pastime.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Blog Entries

I am not a wizard at SQL scripts, but considering that it is a simple query that can be run by using available interface conditions it shouldn't be a problem to make a copy of the output. If the curia insists in involvement it can then get swamped with the initial output - the follow ons on a monthly basis should be small. Chances are the actual awarding can be scripted, but that would mean it has to be done when running the query the first time. Don't think any admin will appreciate to put a revised list (or even the original) into a new script....

Not exactly sure anyhow what criteria the curia would look at in the first place, they are fulfilled by default with that query. It's unlikely that a spambot survived long enough to qualify

One can scarcely imagine the horror of issuing an award without curia involvement and\or public discussion\voting, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 11, 2019 at 12:57 AM.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I would much rather see a different award.
    I think a small TWC Contributor award could be similiar to what the TWC Milestone award is today.

The criteria for a TWC Contributor award could be something like this.

Offer mod support
    Be helpful towards other members
    Reporting post that violates ToS e.g spammers
    Participating in disucssions across the forum, which are not eligible for the Phalera award

Having done that for a time period of let say 5 years or 10 years of activity on the forum.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

The graduated steps were discussed at length back when Aikanar and Halie first proposed. I prefer to keep as is. If anything the 10,000 posts threshold would encourage people to post more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    That reminds me: who stole my 'ten pence'? Don't care if it is gold or the old one - I want it back!

Well, you are starting to look like a North Korean General.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post

You have 21 awards and 20 displaying in the postbit. hmmm

I will have to dig into the postbit at some point and see if there is a max size. Its also possible that the plugin has a limit of 20. Squid would know better than I as that plugin is actually written by him.

I also notice that the top row has 5, rows 2 and 3 have 4, then back to 5. Part of that is due to varying sizes, something we should have watched for when designing awards.

Blog Entries

The penny used to be there until just two\three days ago - at least that's when I noticed it's absence. Maybe some setting got changed recently?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I also notice that the top row has 5, rows 2 and 3 have 4, then back to 5. Part of that is due to varying sizes, something we should have watched for when designing awards.
    It is something I'm trying to respect when I work on new award models. In most cases, the large model is about 75 pixels width and the small one about 35. However, their height can vary quite in a signifant way which seems to also make them appear differently under the members' avatar
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

This is my opinion as well. I would much rather see a different award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I think a small TWC Contributor award could be similiar to what the TWC Milestone award is today.

The criteria for a TWC Contributor award could be something like this.

Offer mod support
    Be helpful towards other members
    Reporting post that violates ToS e.g spammers
    Participating in disucssions across the forum, which are not eligible for the Phalera award

Having done that for a time period of let say 5 years or 10 years of activity on the forum.
    Sounds good to me

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Ok, I am reading several different trains of thought here, but I guess the consensus is that extending the current Milestone award is undesirable. Several have mentioned a different award so I am wondering what the trigger levels would be for that if not posts and years of membership.

I see Leonardo suggested a "TWC Contributer" award based upon qualitative criteria (helpfulness, support, participation) rather than quantitative (posts, years). Perhaps some modifications of his idea would be the way forward here.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12