Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD (READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING!)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default 2018 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD (READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING!)

Hello there fellow TWCenteres, and welcome to the 2018 Modding Awards. Quite a lot of things have been changed this year, so please relax, have your favorite beverage ready, sit back and read with calm!

First and foremost, a due introduction about what happened during the last year: after the partial debacle of the 2017 edition (due to very reduced overall numbers in terms of nominations and votes, see the article about them for more details.) we opened up a Brainstorming thread to collect fresh ideas and suggestions on how to renew/improve the modding awards at TWC. Some time after I personally sent a PM to various well know modders (for the most Opifexes) to ask their opinion about the possibility to open up the Awads to mods not exclusively posted or hosted at TWC and later on we prepared a Public Poll in order to ask to the membership what they would think about this idea.

If you do take your time to read the links above, you'll realize that our ideas have not come out of the blue, but rather that we had tried to group up and unify the various input we received in order to come out with some proposals, taking into account what we could do and what we have available in terms of manpower and resources; remember that many had quite opposite positions and as far as I know no one really have exact the same position or opinion: this should give everybody an idea of how complex the matter is and how difficult it is to find a way/strategy that would please everybody (or even just the majority of the people) involved. The impact of "external" elements, like Steam or the reduced moddability of modern titles, does not help as well and it is mandatory to remember that TWC is a fan site and that what we do, as a Modding Awards Committee, is entirely voluntary and free.

However, this does not mean that we don't care about our beloved modders and their works, and we indeed work every year to produce new material for the awards, such as brand new shiny medals and new categories (or rules), but of course there are limits to what we can do, mostly because of lack of extra hands and extra resources. For instance, this year the Committee has seen its active participants to reduce sensibly (almost half of 2017 edition) and due to this shortage of manpower and reduced number of mods in general, we have decided to switch back to the direct nominations of mods and modders; in other words, rather than providing lists, we will receive directly the nominations in the dedicated thread and will check their eligibility and then put them in the right categories. For the same reasons (shortage of manpower and mods), we have decided to group up some games according to a rational division by Age and characteristics of said games: we do understand that this is not the ideal solution, but to not to be ideal is the general lack of new mods, actually, therefore we had to choose for the lesser evil between providing an actual competition by grouping up the games and hindering the competition itself by not doing so.

Besides, it's important to mention that things are evolving; there's now the Modding Staff that is being in development during the last few months and that will have a saying in the promotion of modding (in general) at TWC and that will probably have a word in the Awards as well (at the least in terms of crossed activity): some of the actual members of the Modding Staff are former Awards Committee members, and they are well aware of the issues and problems related to them and to modding in general.

Lastly, please remember that this is the Commentary Thread for this year's edition of the Awards; while I do understand that refraining from starting again to discuss things only partially related to them (like the aforementioned "Steam issue") and while I really gave up about asking people to avoid doing so in any official way, I still kindly beg you to do your best to do not derail the possible discussion towards points that are not meant to be dealt with here (it would be better to open a thread in the Q&S, if one really wants to discuss those in details). Use this thread for proposing concrete ideas for the next edition(s) and remember that the Committee is always looking for new members, so if you want to apply for a position, just PM me!

Here below is the Committee for this year's edition; feel free to send them an appreciation rep message by using the small green buttons!

Lifthrasir
    Steph
    makanyane
    b0Gia de Bodemloze
    Flinn

If anyone wants to help spread the word around, please feel free to use the dedicated signature bar

[URL="http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1680-The-TWC-Modding-Awards"]
    [IMG]http://www.twcenter.net/images/content/awards/Mod_Awards/MA%202018%20SIGBAR.png[/IMG][/URL]

Just copy paste the code above into your signature box and you should be getting this

Last edited by Flinn; March 06, 2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: 2018 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD (READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING!)

Ive just realized that 40% of the commitee is French. And 20% Italian, 20% Greek, 20% unknown...

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2018 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD (READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING!)

I think that mak is British

this year it has been an European affair..
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Artifex

Not completly, didn't you just say mak is British ?

I'm British and I'm still European, at least till 29th March

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Even after the 29th of March. UK is still part of the european continent even outside of the European Union
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

The artwork is fantastic! I should have updated some of my mods in 2018.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I may sound a little excluded from the modding awards, because there is no category for non-TW mods despite for hosting my first Skyrim mod on TWC Download.

I also updated my Skyrim mod in 2018 plus released a Morrowind mod.

Anyway, I wish every TW modder a good luck!
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Patrician Artifex

If you are the only one, you'd get a medal by default, due to lack of competition...

Where's a fun in winning in that case?

French saying "A vaincre sans péril on triomple sans gloire"

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

The problem is that non-TW mods are excluded from the modding awards, unless I am mistaken.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Can I add something to my nomination thread? Because I forgot something.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Can I add something to my nomination thread? Because I forgot something.
    Yes, please do. The nominations are only final when the nomination period ends so please do edit your post if you think of something else.

(I'm also hoping that some of the people that forgot to include TWC links - or nominated classic mods that have already won the award e.g. Third Age and Darthmod Empire, might revise their nominations)

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Yes, please do. The nominations are only final when the nomination period ends so please do edit your post if you think of something else.

(I'm also hoping that some of the people that forgot to include TWC links - or nominated classic mods that have already won the award e.g. Third Age and Darthmod Empire, might revise their nominations)
    Thanks for the answer

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    The problem is that non-TW mods are excluded from the modding awards, unless I am mistaken.
    Mods can be hosted outside TW (after all, for recent games mods are mostly on Steam anyway).
    But to be nominated, they require an active thread here at TWC (with a link to the external host and some basic informations).

The idea is not to force mods to be exclusively here (that would not be possible with Steam workshop), but at least to use TWC as a place to discuss and promote mods which are technically downloadable outside.

Edit: Flinn just pointed that I've probably mis-read your comment.

Yes, we only considered TW games, since that's very likeley that allowing other games in the award would probably not give enough material to run an award. Even with TW games we have to group some of them in categories to have a significant awards.

Especially for newer games (just have a look at the number of nomination for Warhammer)
    Last edited by Steph; March 11, 2019 at 08:34 AM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Dac (divide and conquer) is considered a submod?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Because it actually is, even if it has by far outreached that level
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

maybe one day we can work on a new definition of mods/submods and the like, at the least for what concerns the Awards, but at the moment yes, DaC is a submod

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

ok thx

Looks amusing to me that you can vote for yourself in the nominations thread

Well, if the rules are the rules...
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

Patrician Artifex

You cannot vote. You can nominate. Votes are later in a second stage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast