Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Discussion/Proposal] Reboot; A Curia Story

Default Re: [Discussion/Proposal] Reboot; A Curia Story

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    This is the point of my reforms.

Citizenship is tied to "awards committee" or "participation in the Curia." etc... It is none of those. The Artifex was a specifically designed recognition for members who published mods on the forum. Citizenship is tied to it (a later addition). It is an added bonus, not a necessity. My advice in the future is to promote Artifex, not citizenship. That should be presented as a choice. It is important that Artifex recognize other modders worthy of Artifex.
    Plenty of people are not interested in having a stamp under their alias, irrespective of whether its Artifex or Citizen. They are here to make and/or use mods and engage with like-minded people. They don't seek recognition from the community or involvement in the politics of the site. This is why there are some well-known modders and contributors without titles.

As it so happens, I rejected a variety of patronage offers prior to my eventual acceptance - despite knowing that I could have chosen between "Artifex" and "Citizen". The only realistic reform I can imagine that would make folks more likely to accept the Artifex/Citizen designation would be the removal of the requirement that potential candidates write what amounts to a cover letter. Let the patrons do that.
    Last edited by Cope; March 09, 2019 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Plenty of people are not interested in having a stamp under their alias, irrespective of whether its Artifex or Citizen. They are here to make and/or use mods and engage with like-minded people. They don't seek recognition from the community or involvement in the politics of the site. This is why there are some well-known modders and contributors without titles.

As it so happens, I rejected a variety of patronage offers prior to my eventual acceptance - despite knowing that I could have chosen between "Artifex" and "Citizen". The only realistic reform I can imagine that would make folks more likely to accept the Artifex/Citizen designation would be the removal of the requirement that potential candidates write what amounts to a cover letter. Let the patrons do that.
    Whenever an Artifex express reservation about "citizenship," I have always emphasized that the "politics" is not what citizenship is. Participation is not a requirement but an option.

I have a simple formula.

The patron (me) write essentially a an introductory paragraph. I write a brief summary of how I discovered the person and why I think they should be made a citizen. I may include some positive feedback from other citizens about this person.
    The Client just writes what brought them here, why they stayed (Artifex would be to share mods, etc...) and list their contributions. They also write they want to be a citizen, but Artifex tends to focus on the recognition of the badge itself as a validation of their work and has a motivator for future work.

I think what is important is that Artifex recognizes other Artifex and emphasize what I have written above. Keep it simple and focus on what is important to you as a modder when you approach a potential candidate.

I hope this helps and thank you for your feedback.

There's a warm fuzzy feeling you can get when something you said over a decade ago is dug up and used in a modern debate...

There is, to an extent, a need for citizens themselves to maintain a level of activity on the site, or their favourite parts of it, that allow them to identify and recognise future citizens. To do that, you need to engage not just with the always limited number of citizens that frequent the Curia, but with those who dominate debate and modding threads. Encourage them to become patrons. And highlight that the site politics of the Curia is an interesting sideline for those who are interested - but that patronage is about recognising (and patronising) new talent.

Maybe you need a Curia outreach service?

And yes, I recognise the irony of saying there's a need for activity when I'm posting today for the first time in 2019...

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince View Post
    I'm posting today for the first time in 2019...
    And when was the last time you posted on TWC. Just curious.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Welcome back tBP

There's a warm fuzzy feeling you can get when something you said over a decade ago is dug up and used in a modern debate...

There is, to an extent, a need for citizens themselves to maintain a level of activity on the site, or their favourite parts of it, that allow them to identify and recognise future citizens. To do that, you need to engage not just with the always limited number of citizens that frequent the Curia, but with those who dominate debate and modding threads. Encourage them to become patrons. And highlight that the site politics of the Curia is an interesting sideline for those who are interested - but that patronage is about recognising (and patronising) new talent.

And yes, I recognise the irony of saying there's a need for activity when I'm posting today for the first time in 2019...
    The proposal ( and I am certainly open to suggestions) seeks to re-energize citizenship. It does't appear that anyone wants citizens to be a an "attaboy" award rather than a cadre of members promoting activity and good postings.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Opposed. People will flock to the Curia if we get off our arse and actually do stuff for the good of the entire site, rather than sitting in our ivory tower and debating ad nauseam the inner runnings of the dead Curia.

We should have taken control of the Modding Awards.
    We should be hosting competitions of our own that are open to everyone on the site
    We should be using the modding and debating expertise of Artifex's and Citizens to create guides and introduce members to the various parts of the forums

There's so much we could be doing FOR TWCenter. If we did this stuff, people would want to join the Curia because they see that they can get involved as well.
    At the moment what is the point of being a Citizen? The only benefit is that you get to "rise above the mire". We're barely even a glorified awards committee anymore.
    I echo this sentiment. The debate is tiresome and doesn't achieve much. Starting contests, giving awards, and doing other actions to support or engage the community is far more beneficial than endlessly arguing about how the Curia should be run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I echo this sentiment. The debate is tiresome and doesn't achieve much. Starting contests, giving awards, and doing other actions to support or engage the community is far more beneficial than endlessly arguing about how the Curia should be run.
    This is off-topic. The discussion is about revitalizing citizenship. How the Curia is "run" is outlined in the constitution. I can say, having my fair share of discussion on that matter, it has proven to be completely inconsequential. The "Curia existed to be a means by which citizens to propose changes. It was an incentive of citizenship. Unfortunately, long before I became a member, the Curia stop being that basic function and became far too overly indulged on its own elitism. Anyway, if citizenship was restored to what it was meant to be, the latter would become a minor thing. How it function even less so, so please stay on topic.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Any curial reform based on the misnomer that creating new positions will encourage more participation, is doomed to fail.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

This is off-topic.
    That's not for us to decide what is on topic or off topic.

How it function even less so, so please stay on topic.
    As long they contribute to the discussion they are on topic, because anyone has the right to express their opinion and if you don't like that then don't post in this thread. It's simple.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Any curial reform based on the misnomer that creating new positions will encourage more participation, is doomed to fail.
    LOL, I am not sure i can four to volunteer given how few bother patronizing now. People talk the talk of patronizing, but few walk the walk. As long as that is reality, any proposal is the proverbial pissing in the wind.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Probably why things that did only that seemed to fail.

Spartan's Avatar Divus
    Patrician

I feel the irony greatly and lend my voice in support. Your commentary is on the mark in my not so humble opinion. Engagement is a never-ending activity on the part of the leadership within a community.
    "Consular" Spartan, Vassal of Siblesz
    Lord of lt1956, & Vercingetorix, Founder House of Spartae
    §§TWC's Father of Modding§§ §§ RulersoftheSea.com §§
    "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, & power over nothing" - Herodotus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12