Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rad looks at things - a thread for visual improvements

Default Re: Rad looks at things - a thread for visual improvements

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Is it just me, or are the thureophoroi/machairaphoroi a bit... naked?

I mean, I get that they're not meant to be super-heavy infantry á la the thorakitai, but surely there should be more lithenorax-wearing troops within the unit? The majority of them are only armoured with a helmet and shield, which seems excessively light, given that they're meant to be suited to be line infantry?

Unless I'm completely misinterpreting their intended purpose here?
    I think they are meant to be mobile troops, to cover the flanks of the actual line troops. In this case it was usually the phalanx that the diadochi used as their main battle line.

Look like actual line infantry (without been super heavy either) like the hoplitai have 7 armour and thats translates to all models having at least linothorax. So I guess the 4 from this two units does for a mix where some units have it and others not.

Thing is that the superior defense skill makes those lighter units be able to pair up agaisnt this kind of infantry (exactly the same total defence and simialr attack values too), just that they are more vulnerable to any non direct confrontation like missile fire or been flanked/charged. But the trade off is the precursor javelins and the extra mobility and hardiness (and in case of the machairaphoroi they even have ap which can give them the edge when engaging untis like the hoplitai that rely more on the armor).

I actually have a doubt now that arises. Do sword bearing units have any difference with spear bearing ones aside of the strict stats of the weapon we can see? I always had the impression in practice they dont work the same.

We will either find a way, or make one.

The attack animation plays a good part in a unit's ability to deal damage.

Is there a historical basis to give the light Numidian units (cavalry/archers/javelin skirmishers) an armor upgrade?
    Nothing fancy, just a few helmets or so. Maybe freshen up their clothes while at it.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Is there a historical basis to give the light Numidian units (cavalry/archers/javelin skirmishers) an armor upgrade?
    Nothing fancy, just a few helmets or so. Maybe freshen up their clothes while at it.
    I agree with you, I think the hard thing for the team is to figure out what kind of "equipment" upgrade you can give to justify the fixed +2,5 armor while passing the "Rad's Quality Assurance Visual Test"!

Would love to see those archers with better helmets!
    Last edited by Raiuga; April 20, 2019 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Banter

Well, the Galatian raiders got an armor upgrade. Visually, they got Greek clothing and Greek style helmets, but the overall number of helmets in the unit increased only marginally - from 2 to 3, or from 3 to 4.

Edit: just took a look at the Galatian raiders. The overall number of helmets stayed the same after the armor upgrade. That's odd.

Better example: Libyan skirmishers - they get an armor upgrade with 3 new new helmets.

Something similar could be done here, if the historians agree.
    Last edited by Rad; April 20, 2019 at 06:11 AM.

Another good catch from our fellow forum members.

Illyrian elite slinger axemen (that's a mouthful)

Helmet too bright in one angle, too dark in another.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

These very dead horse bois came at me from the area marked in red. My guess is that that was not intended.

The mail armor on the late Illergete Spearmen is very interesting. Instead of a shirt with an extra layer on the shoulders, it appears to be mail version of the tube and yoke armor.

What was it based on?

https://scontent.fbeg5-1.fna.fbcdn.n...be&oe=5D56894E

Eburones cavalry

Although they have no missile attack, they do have javelins for melee.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebv.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	360318
    Last edited by Rad; January 07, 2020 at 08:55 AM.

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

Eburones cavalry

Although they have no missile attack, they do have javelins for melee.

Known mistake, although somehow not picked up upon during implementation. We have a fixed version, although I can't recall whether it was already implemented into the dev build.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

Some Carthaginian units have totally unnecessary leather straps that completely go over their greaves. Not only is it not unnecessary and unhistorical, it's also not pleasing to look at.

Affected units: Carthage infantry/cavalry standard bearer, Liby-Phoenician Cavalry, Early Liby-Phoenician Infantry (featured on the unit card as well).

While I'm covering Carthage's units, I might as well make a few suggestions.

1. Give the Late Lybian Spearmen some color. Right now, they look like a bunch of Stormtroopers. Some Montefortino helmets couldn't hurt either.

2. Add buckles to the belts of the mailed Lybian Swordsmen and officer_libyan_inf model. Preferably very simple ones - the ones that the Camillian Hastati have would do nicely, although the color of the belts should be changed to fit the Lybian Swordsmen and officer_libyan_inf.

3. Replace the mail on the Late Liby-Phoenician hoplites - It's kind of obvious the models were taken from a Celtic unit and to me, it doesn't fit in. On the other hand, the Montefortino helmets blended in absolutely perfectly. I would suggest that you use the mail from the Lybian swordsmen, after the belts have been replaced - maybe change the color of the tunics to add variety.

Although I should have did a better job with the pic, it will do.

Ilergetan swordsmen are going to have big doctor bills for their left wrists in the near future.

Name:	ile.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	360317

Affected units: early and late Ilergetan swordsmen and perhaps the reworked Celtiberian spearmen.

It's not a big deal, but it's something that can be fixed. It would be a shame if it spewed into future units.
    Last edited by Rad; January 07, 2020 at 08:52 AM.

THE REPUBLIC IS IN DANGER OF BEING OVERTAKEN BY PARASITIC BRAIN BUGS!

It's Zulu Alpha all over again, man! They get people through the back of the head. The Socii are already under their control. Look!

Oh no...

They know I know.

Someone deleted your post again, Roma. They got one of mine as well. Those damn elves, man...

You wanted to know more. The Sabellian cavalry and the Peltastai Makedonikoi are also infected.

I destroy everything I love.

This time, it's one of my favorite units - the late version of the Libyan skirmishers.

Issue: The way that the Libyans hold their new thureos style shields does not match the handles of said shields. They hold the shield with a vertical punch grip. However, the thureos shields have a horizontal handle. Well, actually, they don't hold the shields, they hold the javelins.

Observe

On the other hand, the non-thureos type shields look OK. Maybe they could use an additional leather strap for a more secure grip.

Suggestions:
    1. Pick an appropriate shield grip and change the shield types accordingly. I don't have much experience with shields that have a horizontal center grip handle, but I don't think they work very well if one must also move quickly and hold several javelins in the same hand. Of course, the javeling could also be held horizontally, but then you risk getting said javelins stuck in somewhere or in someone.
    2. Get rid of the javelins when in melee - they'd either be spent or dropped by then.
    3. More Montefortino and African style helmets, fewer Thracian ones.
    4. Give the late version some more life - brighter tunics, shields, etc.

Thank you.

Name:	qq.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	360316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qqq.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	360315
    Last edited by Rad; January 07, 2020 at 08:46 AM.

Fellas, this doesn't work. I'm sorry, truly I am. Damn Med2's limits! Damn them all to heck!

Spearmen units handle the caetra/thureos mix much better.

Mutant two faced Illyrians. It's a thing.

Name:	0011.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	360313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0012.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	360314

I would like to ask the team to review this thread before the next patch gets released. If some pictures are missing, contact me. I will make new ones.

May I ask if you had a look at the Sweboz rooster as well? Some of their armor values look a bit too high considering only the Halihotz have some chainmails and helmets, specially the Druhitz, having armor 3 and just clothing.

I think I did. See my other thread.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-for-balancing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast