Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rad looks at things - a thread for visual improvements

Default Rad looks at things - a thread for visual improvements

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm starting a new thread where I can compile my observations and suggestions regarding various units in the mod. I hope the stuff posted here contributes to making EB2 even better than it is now. Feel free to pitch in.

Let's start with a staple unit, the generic Celtic spearmen - Kingetoi Uisuparanon

1. At present, their visual appearance does not match their description. While the unit description kind of implies that they are poorer warriors who cannot afford swords, the warriors themselves are armed quite the opposite - everyone has a sword. Either the swords go away, or the description changes?

2. Belts - it would be great if more detail was put into (re)making them. One never fails to be amazed how important they were, not just as useful clothing accesories, but as status symbols.

3. Clothing. If at all possible, they should get more variation in terms of colors, patterns etc. I consider them and the hoplitai the two most ubiquitous units in the mod - they deserve the attention.

4. Armor upgrade(s) - The unit is present from game start to finish, it should get an armor bump or two - both to refresh its appearance and to be able to keep up with the much better armored later units. The upgrade itself does not need to be drastic - a few more helmets, maybe one linothorax style body armor etc... nothing unrealistic.

5. Spears should be remodeled. At present, they look like pointy sticks. I believe that to be a shame because what Celtic spears I have seen are truly works of art and more recent units have magnificient looking weapons. The same issue exists with a lot of, if not all the first batch Celtic spear units - for example, the Gaisatoi

Last edited by Rad; March 01, 2019 at 03:28 AM.

Default Re: Rad looks at things - a thread for visual improvements

By way of expectation-setting, this is not going to be a series of quick and easy fixes, like stats are. Stat changes are simple text edits, they take moments. Model and texture changes take a lot more time and effort, from people who are focused on making new units, not correcting old ones.

So don't expect any rapid responses to anything raised here, they'll go on a to-do list and people will get round to them when they feel like it.

I never expected anything. You folks are not under my thumb... yet
    The thread is here, though. Something might happen some day.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I think it would be great if the Kingetoi Uisuparanon could get an armor upgrade. I know your team is working on new units, but think of the upgrade as a new unit, Quintus!

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I think it would be great if the Kingetoi Uisuparanon could get an armor upgrade. I know your team is working on new units, but think of the upgrade as a new unit, Quintus!
    Don't try to trick the matrix x)

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Don't try to trick the matrix x)
    Mr. Anderson...How will you criticize EBII, if you are unable to type?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4D7cPH7DHgA/hqdefault.jpg
    https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/Tc6...ning-slime.jpg

As for units in the game, I'm actually super impressed with how you guys went back and remodeled or made new textures for units like the Carthaginian Sacred Band, Hellenistic Hoplitai, Peltastai Logades, the Sarmatian General's Bodyguard, the Saka General's Bodyguard, etc. I honestly think remodeling older units should be a priority for certain units and models, on an equal footing with creating new units. For instance, we are still using the same lame original EBI standard bearer for all Greek/Hellenistic units, despite having an array of new Hellenistic captains/officers and of course using the original Koinon Hellenon general as a model/placeholder for generals of other Hellenistic factions, only with slightly different color varieties.

"I never understood why some knights feel the need to carry two swords" - Jaime Lannister

I never understood why some Gauls feel the need to carry two swords

Unit in question: Gargokladioi

My suggestion regarding belts, clothing and armor upgrades for the Kingetoi Uisuparanon could also apply here.

One issue regarding the looks of units, which is most pressing imo, is that the standard bearers for hoplites have the most disgusting aesthetic. I'd post a picture but don't have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty Leaf View Post
    One issue regarding the looks of units, which is most pressing imo, is that the standard bearers for hoplites have the most disgusting aesthetic. I'd post a picture but don't have the time.
    Don't worry, everyone knows about him... IT.

The double-sword strikes again!

Affected units: Pritanoi bodyguard, nobles, heavy cavalry and officer models.

I know that the Ancient Greeks were a liberal people, but come on!

The sleeves could use some touch up as well.

Affected units: KH bodyguard, Greek client ruler bodyguard, chosen hoplites, the current Hellenistic FM models.

EDIT: One more thing...

Lefties in a phalanx were a big no-no. I know that you mirrored the unit card of the bodyguard unit, but it's always better to present ancient soldiers accurately wherever and whenever possible.
    Last edited by Rad; March 03, 2019 at 03:56 AM.

Load a battle with the Georgian infantry and Anatolian skirmishers.
    Compare the details between both.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

The Machimoi Akontistai have the same problem I have outlined about the Ekupeta, a strange blend of texture faded over the actual skin of the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuchatel View Post
    Load a battle with the Georgian infantry and Anatolian skirmishers.
    Compare the details between both.
    Not my current area of interest. I will get around to them eventually. If there is anything wrong with the units you mention, please take screenshots and highlight the issues here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    The Machimoi Akontistai have the same problem I have outlined about the Ekupeta, a strange blend of texture faded over the actual skin of the model.
    Screens, we need screens

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Not my current area of interest. I will get around to them eventually. If there is anything wrong with the units you mention, please take screenshots and highlight the issues here.

Screens, we need screens
    He most probably means the decline in detail and the horns, which are beloved by all

Here are the Machimoi Akontistai, looking at the Machimoi units the only one with this problem:

Another visual bug Ive found, every Dahae and light Parthian Cav Officer displays it:

Would someone be so kind and check their game if they get the same bug ? I installed the mod correctly but its more ey than other peoples versions and I have my doubts.

Here's a big one.

Missing and misplaced swords.

Some Celtiberian units do not have swords in scabbard.

Missing swords - affected units are the bodyguard, the officer model, Celtiberian spearmen - when in combat, Celtiberian medium cavalry

Misplaced swords - sitting a bit too high and doing other sword mischief - Affected units: Iberian light and medium cavalry, Lusitanian light cavalry, maybe the Iberian foot units when in combat

I believe that these Celtiberian spearmen are using the aspis shield animation when in combat - not that great for the smaller caetra. I acknowledge that the caetra is a nimble shield that is used very actively, but it should be shown covering the torso in combat

Something that could be tuned up

1. Cloaks and cloak clasps on the Celtiberian nobles. If one takes a good look - something my screenshot will not allow - one will notice that they're a bit roughly made and mess up the unit's overall aesthetic. Also true for the Lusitanian nobles - foot and mounted.

2. Whomsoever manages to re-crop these and other feathers properly will have reps eternal.

Last edited by Rad; March 05, 2019 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Another visual bug Ive found, every Dahae and light Parthian Cav Officer displays it:

Would someone be so kind and check their game if they get the same bug ? I installed the mod correctly but its more ey than other peoples versions and I have my doubts.
    I have the same issue as well.

Now, for today's report, I'd like to focus on Liguria:

1. The uncovered shield. Even though the central spine and glue would hold the planks together, most of the durability would actually come from the canvas/leather cover. I kindly suggest that these and other uncovered shields be replaced with covered shields. Affected units - Ligurian swordsmen and spearmen.

I guess that this was the inspiration.

https://www.zinnfigur.com/out/pictures/generated/product/1/600_512_90/8190_24@2x.jpg

https://thelosttreasurechest.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/ligurian-guerrero.jpg?w=396

2. The body armor - the stiches should be hidden. Leaving them exposed to the elements will wear them out quicker.

3. The sword has a few black spots on it. I'm sorry guys, but the pedantic voice in my head just wouldn't shut up

Some Carthaginian units have totally unnecessary leather straps that completely go over their greaves. Not only is it not unnecessary and unhistorical, it's also not pleasing to look at.

Affected units: Carthage infantry/cavalry standard bearer, Liby-Phoenician Cavalry, Early Liby-Phoenician Infantry (featured on the unit card as well).

While I'm covering Carthage's units, I might as well make a few suggestions.

1. Give the Late Lybian Spearmen some color. Right now, they look like a bunch of Stormtroopers. Some Montefortino helmets couldn't hurt either.

2. Add buckles to the belts of the mailed Lybian Swordsmen and officer_libyan_inf model. Preferably very simple ones - the ones that the Camillian Hastati have would do nicely, although the color of the belts should be changed to fit the Lybian Swordsmen and officer_libyan_inf.

3. Replace the mail on the Late Liby-Phoenician hoplites - It's kind of obvious the models were taken from a Celtic unit and to me, it doesn't fit in. On the other hand, the Montefortino helmets blended in absolutely perfectly. I would suggest that you use the mail from the Lybian swordsmen, after the belts have been replaced - maybe change the color of the tunics to add variety.

Last edited by Rad; July 07, 2019 at 06:58 AM.

Trouble in Galatia:

Affected units - Galatian raiders, colonists, retainers. Probably the cavalry as well.

1. There's a very obvious issue with the carnyx player's helmet

This last one is a bit more difficult to spot, but it's there.

2. A very obvious issue with the commander's shield in combat stance.

Some things I noticed:

The Galatian retainers have very well made weapons.
    The Galatian raiders actually seem to lose helmet variety with the armor upgrade.
    Last edited by Rad; March 10, 2019 at 03:56 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast