Thread: Strategy with Roman and Carthaginian elections

saneel's Avatar Senator

Default Strategy with Roman and Carthaginian elections

Hi everybody,

I must say that EB is one of my favorite mods both in RTW and MTW2 history, but playing with both factions mentioned, I find it quite challenging and unpractical to get your key generals into your capital every winter for election.

How the rest of you veteran players solve this problem? Anyone has good strategy to share?

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Strategy with Roman and Carthaginian elections

If you don't mind faster gameplay, IE ai expanding quicker then i wholeheartedly recommend this movement submod - https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-EBII-2-35A-R2

You can basically travel from Spain to Italy by ship in one turn and still have movement left over to travel halfway back, which as you can imagine is especially helpful with these elections. After you expand to a certain point i just didn't want to engage with it anymore given the short travel times, despite how much it helped immersion.

If you don't like the faster expansion by the ai you could lower army movement in the text document you get (EB default is 125 for family members and captains) and just keep it limited to ships and agents.
    Last edited by Martin N; April 24, 2021 at 03:25 PM.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Campidoctor

Faced with the same issue, I wanted to make (or have made) a 12 turn per year mod. This turned out to be too complicated and many interdependent things would have to be considered and changed and it's a whole thing. So I tried increasing movement ranges on the campaign map to more realistic levels. This turned out to be awesome. Maybe you'll find it works for you too.

If you want to try and see, here's how. Changes are not save compatible though. I use (what I think is) the max value of 500 for all characters/units as I think it gives the closest to realistic distances in game based on my estimations. But they can all be set however you want if that's not how you want it.

• Use Notepad++ (as opposed to default Notepad or other ]text editors to avoid potential file corruption issues) to open ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\descr_character.txt (make a copy of it first though, in case you want to revert)
    • Ctrl+F to bring up search bar and look for entries named starting_action_points
    • Change the value for each of them to 500 (starting with the ones from under "type named character") and save

Edit: woops, Martin beat me to it lol

By paying less heed to them at that point.

One strategy is to selectively have certain family members forgo certain election cycles; once you've got Imperivm, you don't have to come home for every election. Try to plan out the length of your campaigns to fit this kind of schedule... three or four years campaigning is usually more than enough to conquer a region, install a client ruler, and return to Roma.

You can also use said client rulers or hired generals in your campaigns directly... the Senate might not give them leave to lead the legions, but they could command allied troops or oversee encamped Roman troops (don't move them).

Ultimately, How you play is up to you. If you're not going to be fiddling with the files to make it back perfectly in time for every election, the current state of the game's many mechanics combine pretty well to force you to make balanced decisions for your characters.
    . .

For Carthage you can have a fleet blockade a new port every 3 turns so that the Rosh will never declare peace.

Is there a submod that disables the Roman Imperium mechanic? I mean, it's just annoying micro, for no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Priest View Post
    Is there a submod that disables the Roman Imperium mechanic? I mean, it's just annoying micro, for no benefit.
    The simplest way would be to locate the following lines in export_descr_character_traits.txt

Trait Imperium Characters family

Level No_Imperium
    Description No_Imperium_desc
    EffectsDescription No_Imperium_effects_desc
    Threshold 1

Effect Attack -3
    Effect SiegeAttack -3
    Effect TroopMorale -1

Level Has_Imperium
    Description Has_Imperium_desc
    EffectsDescription Has_Imperium_effects_desc
    GainMessage Has_Imperium_gain_desc
    LoseMessage Has_Imperium_lose_desc
    Threshold 2

Effect PersonalSecurity 1
    And remove all 3 maluses. Of course the whole Imperium trait system and triggers will still work, you just won't get nerfs for generals without Imperium

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Priest View Post
    Spoken like a true Caesar