Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Tree

Indefinitely Banned

Default Family Tree

Anyone here ever do their family tree and/or into genealogy in general? I'm up to 2,900+ people in my tree, a mix of blood relations, relatives, family members of non blood relations,etc....

No one directly famous blood wise but my Aunt who married into the family is a great daughter in law X times over to Robert Walpole.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: Family Tree

How do you do family tree??

I think I saw a tree of names once. It's how people of previous generations here decide first names.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    How do you do family tree??

I think I saw a tree of names once. It's how people of previous generations here decide first names.

There is programs you can buy that you can add in your family and build up from there. It can become quite addictive!

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Considering that my family history is full of cheating and divorce, it would prove considerably difficult to establish a family tree. It's more like a rotten tree that has been struck by lightning over 500 times.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Considering that my family history is full of cheating and divorce, it would prove considerably difficult to establish a family tree. It's more like a rotten tree that has been struck by lightning over 500 times.

Hey, could make a historical soap opera out of it!

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It wouldn't be very large, I don't know names of ancestors beyond grandparents and I don't know how I'm related to any cousin aside from those descended from my grandparents (and there's only about 15 of us). I know few other cousins, descendants of siblings of my grandparents, but I don't associate with them. I'm not really interested in knowing more, either.
    Has signatures turned off.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    It wouldn't be very large, I don't know names of ancestors beyond grandparents and I don't know how I'm related to any cousin aside from those descended from my grandparents (and there's only about 15 of us). I know few other cousins, descendants of siblings of my grandparents, but I don't associate with them. I'm not really interested in knowing more, either.

I hear you. I never was interested to much most of my life. I mean, I was to a point, I never was close with my father or his side, and my grandparents on my mother side I was close with, so I would ask them both, more so my grandfather, about his time being young (he was born in 1918 to Croatian immigrants here in the good old USA) but it wasn't until I took a lot of these DNA tests in 2017 then I got more into it. But now I'm starting to get out of it a bit. I'm still interested to a point, but more so only in my direct ancestors and their kids (great uncles/aunts x times over or the "old old" cousins as I put it). A lot of my "modern" cousins today on either side don't really speak to me and I'm not killing myself trying to research our common connection if they're not going to give a you know what about it. It's sad but yeah, I hear you yo.

Plus, a lot of my family is Roman Catholic and to a lesser extent, Presbyterian (myself included, well, "officially" anyhow). I would assume more of them would stop speaking to me if I told them that I'm starting to become a Agnostic. I can't prove there isn't a God (Sorry Atheists), but as much as I love to hope I can see my grandparents again in the afterlife, I can't prove that either so I am unsure in a existence of the God. Is there A God? Maybe.

Anyhow, that's my rant for today.

Genealogy is not as popular here as in Americas, and I am no exception to the rule. Most distant relative I heard of was a grocer that lived in the late 19th century and transformed from a humbe grocer into a loan shark. Unfortunately, his great number of children meant that the wealth he had amassed from the farmers to whom he offered his credit services was divided into rather small shares. Also, according to the family legend, our surname originated from the city's counterfeiter, who ended his days executed sometime in the revolutionary period of late 18th century, but I'm not sure how reliable our founding myth is. With such illustrious ancestors, looks like I should have chosen a career in the banking industry.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 01, 2019 at 01:05 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Genealogy is not as popular here as in Americas, and I am no exception to the rule. Most distant relative I heard of was a grocer that lived in the late 19th century and transformed from a humbe grocer into a loan shark. Unfortunately, his great number of children meant that the wealth he had amassed from the farmers to whom he offered his credit services was divided into rather small shares. Also, according to the family legend, our surname originated from the city's counterfeiter, who ended his days executed sometime in the revolutionary period of late 18th century, but I'm not sure how reliable our founding myth is. With such illustrious ancestors, looks like I should have chosen a career in the banking industry.

Maybe there's some hidden money out there for you!

My last name I was told might mean something related to minor nobility in Poland. My father always told me "I will give you the money to go to Poland from my 401k to see if we have any houses and/or land we can re-claim..... if, that is, we don't have to pay back taxes......."

I also found out I had some distant cousins on my mother's Croat side that worked as seamstresses for the royal family back in the 19th century (I assume the Habsburgs). My great grandfather from that side apparently was a veteran of the Austro-Hungarian Navy as well. We found a picture of him it looks like, that he was in a navy uniform and it didn't look like the US Navy sailor uniform, so the family lore of him chasing a guy (a officer it may have been I was told) on their one ship with a steak knife must be true. Maybe.....

I think it's partly insecurity.

The nobility kept track of their lineage because they usually had something to prove, whether socially, culturally or legally.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Googling my family name gave me a mountain in Bolivia and a noble family from Leon who was exiled to Sassari in the 15th century. I don't know anything about my family beyond my current living relatives.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

My ancestry comes from Tyrone and Ayrshire
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Senator

@Stone Cold: Could you post the picture? For myself, I´m as german as a german can be. A great great great- uncle of mine (some Prof in Berlin) did compile a really big Family tree on my fathers side, something back to 1400. On my mothers side it is quite easy, her ancestors had the same estate at least since 1500.

What region in Germany? If you're a Schwabe, then you're most likely inbred.

Senator

@Diamat: Thats the problem with most rural villages in Germany... Schwabens have enough other problems :-)
    Northern Franconia and eastern Hessen.

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    @Diamat: Thats the problem with most rural villages in Germany... Schwabens have enough other problems :-)
    Northern Franconia and eastern Hessen.
    Sounds like Thüringen.

Spoiler for Dialect Test

Aber su vuchtländsch oder su sprichst fei nett, gell? Dättste fei nämliche su spreche, des wär o mir ne gruhße Freid.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Sounds like Thüringen.

Spoiler for Dialect Test

Aber su vuchtländsch oder su sprichst fei nett, gell? Dättste fei nämliche su spreche, des wär o mir ne gruhße Freid.
    Close to Thüringen, but still Hessen.

Spoiler for Dialect Antwort

Naah, i schwatz nur Rhöner Platt.

sure, i have a family tree going back to the 11th-12th century. although it gets a bit patchy before 15th. has got a fat old book and a sheet as big as a wall to count them all.
    the supposed grand maternal origin was one Brynhild Roppe and her husband Sigurd.
    at least i know where some of my ancestors stood during the norwegian civil war era at the time of king Sverre and the Birkebeiner - Bagler debacle, both sides (safest way to support a winner).
    even has an exiled scotish lord in there, suspected of killing an ancestor of my wife - yeah but it is all good now.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    @Stone Cold: Could you post the picture? For myself, I´m as german as a german can be. A great great great- uncle of mine (some Prof in Berlin) did compile a really big Family tree on my fathers side, something back to 1400. On my mothers side it is quite easy, her ancestors had the same estate at least since 1500.

Supposedly this was my great grandfather from the Austro-Hungarian Navy. He and my great grandmother was from Croatia. Got a researcher looking for his records at the War Archives in Vienna. Trust but verify eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Military Picture.jpg  

I made this family tree for my mother, thanks to the information from documents of ......... some era.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast