Thread: Settlement income - what are Improvements?

Conan's Might's Avatar Civis

Default Settlement income - what are Improvements?

Hi guys,

Playing as Romans and still getting to grips with the game. I've noticed as source of income in the settlements is called "improvements" and seem to decrease when I build certain structures.

What does improvements represent?

Thanks!
    "For no one, in this world you can trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... (Slowly Conan's father hands his son the mighty blade which he has forged) this you can trust"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Settlement income - what are Improvements?

It might be building maintenance. A lot of buildings in this mod have positive and negative effects, like an increase in public order but a small upkeep that needs to be paid each turn.

But rather than being an expense its a source of income. Saying that it reduces as you build certain building... I don't know I'm confused!
    "For no one, in this world you can trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... (Slowly Conan's father hands his son the mighty blade which he has forged) this you can trust"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Conan's Might View Post
    But rather than being an expense its a source of income. Saying that it reduces as you build certain building... I don't know I'm confused!
    I think (but not 100% sure) that the reason for that is... that in the Medieval 2 engine, building maintenance is not a thing, so there is no natural representation of building maintenance costs in the UI. The EB team had to rig something up to show the negative income a building might give, and this is the only way they could show it.

It's confusing I guess but... it's probably only that way because there was no other way for them to implement it. Usually the building description will explain to you why it is reducing income.

I think (but not 100% sure) that the reason for that is... that in the Medieval 2 engine, building maintenance is not a thing, so there is no natural representation of building maintenance costs in the UI. The EB team had to rig something up to show the negative income a building might give, and this is the only way they could show it.
    Make sense

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are also buildings that provide positive income, such as small and large scale industry.

There will be Improvements in your income list. Buildings that add money will add to it, like local industry while buildings that subtract from it will take away from it, like strategic fortifications. I think it's unable to go negative though.

I feel that building a lot of buildings has gotten me back to square one, a zero sum game.... For example, I build a building that increases trade bonus by 1, but lowers happiness by 5%. Then I build a building that boosts happiness by 5%, but lowers trade bonus by 1.... so essentially 16000 gold later i am back where I started...

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    I feel that building a lot of buildings has gotten me back to square one, a zero sum game.... For example, I build a building that increases trade bonus by 1, but lowers happiness by 5%. Then I build a building that boosts happiness by 5%, but lowers trade bonus by 1.... so essentially 16000 gold later i am back where I started...
    Pretty realistic if you think about it. Keeping big cities organized is a game of funnelling money from one place to the other, then back again lol.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Damian View Post
    Pretty realistic if you think about it. Keeping big cities organized is a game of funnelling money from one place to the other, then back again lol.
    more like the city officials getting kickbacks from all those gold I spent...