Thread: How can I make the player receive a message?

Default How can I make the player receive a message?

Is it possible to send the player a message sort of like a historic event or the "A Storm from the East!" message you get at the beginning of BI? if so, how?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: How can I make the player receive a message?

You mean like a historic event?

Go to data/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_events.txt

Add the historic event there, then also add the text in data/text/historic_events.txt
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

I was more-so wondering how to do it via script. I found a command called "historic_event" on the Medieval II forum afterwards, but the list of commands doesn't have it and it crashed my script. So I was wondering if there's something equivalent for RTW?

Maybe one of these commands?
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...l=1#post929258

event
    Availability: campaign
    Usage: event <event_type> <opt:position> : creates an event at position

test_message
    Availability: battle , campaign
    Usage: Test the event message specified in descr_event_enums.txt

I havent ever tried that but it might be what you're looking for. For the 2nd you would have to add a new descr_event_enums entry
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Event appears to be a console command but the console doesn't recognize it. Test_message doesn't seem to be recognized either and I can't find any more information on them online, hmmm, well if there's no other option I guess I'll just put an explanation alongside the mod.

You'd likely have to implement it within a background script. Do you know how to set that up?
    The AI Workshop Creator

Yes I have one setup, am I getting the parameters wrong perhaps? These are the commands as entered in my script just testing them.

console_command test_message horde_settles

console_command event the_vulgate

I think enums are actually obsolete now, as of the latest patches, so that's why test_message doesn't work.

The event one, not sure about that. Maybe CA never tested that command and just claimed it worked?
    The AI Workshop Creator

Maybe, I know there are a few other console commands that just don't work as-well.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorps View Post
    Maybe, I know there are a few other console commands that just don't work as-well.
    True enough, I've encountered a couple myself sadly in M2TW. Although I looked in the exe for them.

Anyway, I guess the normal way of doing historical events wont work for your idea?
    The AI Workshop Creator

Nope, basically what I'm trying to do is encourage the Saxons to invade Britain, historically supposedly what happened was the Anglo-Saxons were hired to defend the island, but weren't happy with their pay/supplies, so they broke their contract. So I'm monitoring for Rome losing money and not having Eburacum while having Londinium, then spawning a Saxon army. It seems the Saxons aren't interested because despite declaring war on them and leaving Eburacum un-garrisoned they will still embark the spawned large army and take it back to the continent. Or they'll embark it, disembark right next to Londinium, re-embark and sail to Holland, sail back, disembark... repeat.

At this point I'm thinking I'll just have them get the settlement itself, but the provoke_rebellion command doesn't seem to work. I've tried making it a rebel army instead by changing "faction saxons" to "faction slave, sub-faction saxons", that didn't work.

I know there's an auto-win command and I read on the M2 forum of something along those lines being a way to change ownership of a settlement. I'm not exactly sure how though, there is an "engage_armies" command, but it needs a name of a general and won't take a settlement. So I'm stuck at this point, there's no point giving the saxons an army to invade Britain if they won't use it to invade Britain. Do you know of a way to transfer a settlement between two factions via script?

Yeah M2TW is a lot easier to mod.

You might have more luck working off a base of this script from m2tw. Although big mods that I dont have downloaded like EB and RS2 often have scripts to look for ideas from

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post10305002
    The AI Workshop Creator