Thread: Using Rome Total War I map in M2TW

Default Using Rome Total War I map in M2TW

Can the Rome Total War I vanilla map be ported over to M2TW?
    I imagine that there would be some trouble with the Wonders but is it feasible with some relatively small changes or would it be better to do a new map?

Thank you.
    I'm OldTotalWarrior on YouTube.

Default Re: Using Rome Total War I map in M2TW

The map_***.tga images should all work, but the text files would need a lot of work (every mention of a faction, character or unit). I'd start from a basic M2TW minimal two faction mod set up - try Alpaca's

Check that works for you, then try swapping in the RTW map tgas and adjusting desr_terrain.txt to suit the size.

If you can get that working then start adding other factions to descr_strat and placing them where you want.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    The map_***.tga images should all work, but the text files would need a lot of work (every mention of a faction, character or unit). I'd start from a basic M2TW minimal two faction mod set up - try Alpaca's

Check that works for you, then try swapping in the RTW map tgas and adjusting desr_terrain.txt to suit the size.

If you can get that working then start adding other factions to descr_strat and placing them where you want.
    I think you have more than answered my questions.

Thank you!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Well, the map itself isn't really so much of a problem, the TGA files are identical in their use as Mak says, but the trade route graphic has no function now, nor has the roughness one as both are generated differently. Otherwise directly map related issues:

wonders have been disabled - a simple section in desc_strat
    religion has been added - one line for each region in descr_regions
    trade resource entries have no function in descr_regions any more, only hidden resources
    additional 'resource' line entries have been added like horde_target

descr_sm_factions still works the same, descr_strat basically as well (minus wonders, plus some 'switches' like free upkeep in forts)

The nightmare starts if you want to port units and model related stuff like buildings, map is easy.

Other then Alpaca's simplified set up you may also want to check out my basic mod set up and experiment with transferring your map.

Blowing my own horn at the end - I ported the map for my 'Rise of three Kingdoms' mod from RTW.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 24, 2019 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Well, the map itself isn't really so much of a problem, the TGA files are identical in their use as Mak says, but the trade route graphic has no function now, nor has the roughness one as both are generated differently. Otherwise directly map related issues:

wonders have been disabled - a simple section in desc_strat
    religion has been added - one line for each region in descr_regions
    trade resource entries have no function in descr_regions any more, only hidden resources
    additional 'resource' line entries have been added like horde_target

descr_sm_factions still works the same, descr_strat basically as well (minus wonders, plus some 'switches' like free upkeep in forts)

The nightmare starts if you want to port units and model related stuff like buildings, map is easy.

Other then Alpaca's simplified set up you may also want to check out my basic mod set up and experiment with transferring your map.

Blowing my own horn at the end - I ported the map for my 'Rise of three Kingdoms' mod from RTW.

Thank you!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries