Default Re: [Decision] Small & Medium Award for Modders

Support again.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Support again.
    Did you say I have your axe? I have your axe!

Also, flagging this for Haeder. Can we move to this a vote now?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Now, you have 3 citizens to support your proposal. Support.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Did you say I have your axe? I have your axe!

My Hooves!

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Now, you have 3 citizens to support your proposal. Support.
    I have Van Zandt, La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham, Lifthrasir, Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (plus his hooves!) and you now officially reaffirming support.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post

Hmm, no idea who that is.

Moved to vote
    Last edited by Hader; May 12, 2019 at 10:10 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    Hmm, no idea who that is.

Moved to vote
    Sorry I translate your name as hey there (Haeder) in my head.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Link to the voting thread for convenience, please?

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I have no idea how I missed this, but I did. I fully support the idea but I would like to see the vote halted and some of the thoughts I just posted in this thread incorporated. I realize there is nothing in the Constitution about halting a vote on something once it has begun, but I really would like to be indulged on this so I dont have to start from scratch with a new proposal that overrides this one.

Basically I think it needs to be two awards, one for modding/helping people to mod and one for tools.

And then I realized we probably have a use for the other 2 as well. We have all kinds of medals on the site, but we are severely lacking in medals for one area that we really should not be. Specifically we have very few medals for modding. We have the annual site awards, and we have the Artifex that applies to Citizens, but we have nothing in between. Nothing at all.

So what I am proposing is simple, we use and possibly rework the other two submissions a bit. What I am looking for is two medals, or two series of medals: One for people that help others learn how to mod in the workshops (Thor's Hammer) and one for people that create or update tools that everyone else uses to make mods (the Gears, someone come up with a clever name).

These would not be Staff awards, they are for the general population that help promote modding on TWC. I don't care what the process is for nominating someone for an award, and I don't care what the process for handing out the award is. If we want to stick with Bronze, Silver, and Gold like some other awards then I am good with that as well.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Link to the voting thread for convenience, please?
    My facetiousness hid it initially, but it's better on the eyes now

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I have no idea how I missed this, but I did. I fully support the idea but I would like to see the vote halted and some of the thoughts I just posted in this thread incorporated. I realize there is nothing in the Constitution about halting a vote on something once it has begun, but I really would like to be indulged on this so I dont have to start from scratch with a new proposal that overrides this one.

Basically I think it needs to be two awards, one for modding/helping people to mod and one for tools.
    Given that the initialy proposal here does specify a later art competition should it pass, the potential of the other modding staff award submissions being re-purposed as you've outlined would definitely be doable, and save time on that front.

As for stopping a vote though, it is true there is nothing in the Constitution about doing so, and while I don't think anyone would do so maliciously or with any bad intent that would open a can of worms, even a small one, one way or another. However if the original proposer of this would like to entertain the idea, perhaps we can do something to that effect.

However, given that this initial proposal does may not necessarily overlap entirely and only with your ideas there, it may almost serve better to have it as its own proposal later anyways. Even stopping this vote now and modifying it (through what may be a decent bit of discussion) and then reaffirming support for a now substantially different proposal will likely take close to as much time as letting this vote run through and being ready with a follow up proposal to address more specifics as well as assign the artwork.

In any case that discussion can happen here and hopefully find the right compromise, but I would rather not jump the gun in ending a vote and creating that situation unnecessarily.

Moderator Emeritus

As for stopping a vote though, it is true there is nothing in the Constitution about doing so, and while I don't think anyone would do so maliciously or with any bad intent that would open a can of worms, even a small one, one way or another. However if the original proposer of this would like to entertain the idea, perhaps we can do something to that effect.
    I don't have a problem with stopping the vote, since there's now more to discuss; I suppose it can be seen as a temporary hex veto.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post

Now that I reread the text for the Modding Service Award, I realize it doesn't explicitly mention anything to do with tools. That's a fair point, since tools are quite integral to modding, I doubt I would have ever started working on animations without Vercingetorix making the tools for it.

Currently, the changes made are the following:

Gears of War

To qualify for the Gears of War, the nominee must have released a modding tool.
    Modding Service Award

Awarded by the Curia for one or more of the following: creating a detailed and original tutorial containing relevant media (screenshots, video, code snippets), releasing a minor mod involving at minimum a single modding section (units, scripting, mapping, animations, sounds, media) of work estimated to have taken more than 5 hours or a remarkable act that benefits TWC modding community.

To qualify for a higher level of the award, the nominee must have participated within a workshop section with distinction over the span of 6 months or released a hosted modification.
    Last edited by z3n; May 12, 2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: just saw brigs comment about "gears of war"
    The AI Workshop Creator

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

You dont need to stop the vote, just amend with a subsequent proposal. I don't think the medal design was locked in so its probably not necessary.

It is recommended that a competition and vote be held for the artwork of these medals.
    (last line of proposal)...
    Last edited by Gaius Baltar; May 12, 2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: add information

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Beating a dead horse, but

To qualify for the Gears of War, the nominee must have released a modding tool.
    I nominate for an Opifex. It would be crazy not to or are we delineating modding from modding tools and resources?

The same foes for tutorials. Generally creating a tutorial on top of general modding work leads to an nomination for Opifex. Same question; are tutorials being removed from that consideration and Opifex is JUST FOR modding?

Moderator Emeritus

Well Van Zandt has a point, any further modifications should be done via an amendment, that's the proper way to go about it since this already passed the vote.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Pike has a point about what a modding tool is all about and to me it encompass resource, tool, and tutorial.

husserlTW wrote the StartPos, Hybrid tutorial and released the EasyEsf (ETW, NTW) tool, so without reading the tutorial and using the EasyEsf tool new modders would have a hard time to create a mod like ETF or a similiar startpos mod.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Are modding tools and tutorials not included in your conception of modding, guys?
    Because it is in mine. People can't hardly make a tutorial or a modding tool if they're not interested in modding themselves. At that level, they're modders in my book and perfectly eligible for this proposal if it passes.
    To keep it short, do we need to be that pedantic to define what a modder is?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Vote has passed, and this will be archived, so since it seems likely continued discussion on amending this will occur, feel free to PM as needed or open the new thread(s) to continue along.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567