Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Decision] Small & Medium Award for Modders

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Patrician Artifex Modding Staff Director

Default [Decision] Small & Medium Award for Modders

Firstly, while we have the Opifex award it has come to my attention after a concern raised by Axalon that we are severely lacking in awards given by the curia that recognize contributions made by modders and compliment the Opifex award, either before or more pertinently to his concerns, after the fact. Secondly, we have 6 awards for things other than modding and only 1 major award allowed to be awarded in 'exceptional' circumstances. That does not seem right.

About two months ago I contacted Katsumoto and Lifthrasir to make some artistic renditions of the awards. Lifthrasir has completed a first pass of the ideas but it's still WIP so I won't present that here.

Therefore, I would like to propose a medium award called the "Gears of War". The text and naming can be the subject of change, these are placeholders but the idea remains the same.

To qualify for the Gears of War, the nominee must have released a modding tool.

It is my strong belief that encouraging participation among the Q&A communities is in our best interests. It is a cornerstone of the modding community, a way of making TWC relevant in the simple fact that searching a problem on google about modding gave you a multitude of hits primarily from TWC. It retains members and fosters a sense of community but it's also no simple or small thing to donate ones time to solving another persons problems. I would like us to recognize that fact.

Of course, releasing a major modification on TWC is no small feat.

I would also like to propose a small award called the "Modding Service Award"

Awarded by the Curia for one or more of the following: creating a detailed and original tutorial containing relevant media (screenshots, video, code snippets), releasing a minor mod involving at minimum a single modding section (units, scripting, mapping, animations, sounds, media) of work estimated to have taken more than 5 hours or a remarkable act that benefits TWC modding community.

To qualify for a higher level of the award, the nominee must have participated within a workshop section with distinction over the span of 6 months or released a hosted modification.
    The logic behind this small award lays in the fact that numerous remarkable deeds are done for the modding community but they are not often recognized. tone in particular releasing the RS2 environments to the public comes to the forefront of my mind. An absolutely amazing act that wasn't recognized to my knowledge and one I remember to this day hooked me into modding, after I was determined to implement them in every mod I wanted to play.

I would also like to add onto this small award by allowing it to be issued multiple times to the same person. Earning your stripes for example up to 3 times. After all, multiple remarkable modding related deeds can be done by the same person; Gigantus is a great example of this.

A simple graphical idea of this award can be construed as thus

Rank 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rank 2

Rank 3

It is recommended that a competition and vote be held for the artwork of these medals.
    Last edited by z3n; May 12, 2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: naming
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Van Zandt's Avatar pulvis et umbra
    Citizen Primus Praefect

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Decision] Small & Medium Award for Modders

Support

Carmen Sylva's Avatar Domesticus

Sound reasonable from my perspective as modder. It would have my support.
    Last edited by Carmen Sylva; February 21, 2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Christ was crucified, Socrates was poisoned, Phidias was accused of theft - it is almost an honor to be abused by contemporaries.

Carmen Sylva (1843 - 1916), actually Princess Elisabeth Pauline Ottilie Luise zu Wied VA (Royal Order of Victoria and Albert), German writer and lyricist, by marriage Queen Elizabeth of Romania

Proud Non-Citizen / End of Time / Unschuldsengel / My Mods

PikeStance's Avatar ⚜️ Omnipresent ⚜️
    Blog Entries

ahhhck....I have no idea where my brain was earlier. I completely misread the award. SUPPORT.
    Last edited by PikeStance; February 22, 2019 at 07:39 AM.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack |
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier

Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers | House of Noble Discourse

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Patrician Citizen

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Sounds like a fruitful measure, support
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Lifthrasir's Avatar A Clockwork Orange
    Content Director Patrician Moderation Mentor Citizen

Blog Entries

Support of course.
    Looks like I need to hurry to complete the full set now
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Modding Staff

Sounds like a good idea to have a medium/small modding award for modders who doesn't meet the criteria for the Opifex award.

I would also like to propose a small award called the "Legio 501st Modder"
    This small award could also be called "Valour" by judging the images in the OP.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

Blog Entries

For info, the spherical astrolabe/armillary sphere will remains in the medals' models as many modders (who got the Opifex) seems attached to it
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Obviously great idea, support.
    One minor thing, for the "Modding Service Award" I would also add participation in the workshops (or are they now called Q&A section?) / writing tutorials.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Emeritus

A great idea but we ahould not vote on this until we see some art.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Obviously great idea, support.
    One minor thing, for the "Modding Service Award" I would also add participation in the workshops (or are they now called Q&A section?) / writing tutorials.
    Yeah, I basically meant the workshops + tutorials, we can definitely be more specific in the text. I'll update it!

To qualify for the Modding Service Award, the nominee must have participated within a workshop section with distinction over the span of 6 months or released a hosted modification.

The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

AnthoniusII's Avatar XXI ARMORED BRIGADE

A good idea. That may give new modders an extra motivation to start and finish or even expand their modding projects. More modding projects more hope to TWC to survive as a modding site that is..
    I do not know if my vote counts but if it does i fully suport it.
    There are moments (in history), in which a nation owes,
    if it wants to be considered as a great one, to be able to fight.
    Even without hope of winning. Just because it has to.
    Greek War motto.
    XXI Armored Brigade. Proud that served in that unit in 1996!
    "Spartans do not ask how many (enemies are) but where they are"!
    XXI Armored Brigade's motto.
    The Greek Secret (or why they will fight again if it will be necessary or why they do not sell their history).

Anyone have anything they would like to add or modify in the above?

And could I have two more reaffirm support just for the sake of being able to move it to a vote if no other concerns are raised?
    The AI Workshop Creator

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Thanks for answering my question, and obviously support

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Modding Staff

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Anyone have anything they would like to add or modify in the above?
    I don't know what you think about it, but I think having the small and medium award connected to each other.

Small Award is about valor similiar to units in TW-games
    Medium Award is about a higher rank, a Centurion, than one previous had for a small award

Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    And could I have two more reaffirm support just for the sake of being able to move it to a vote if no other concerns are raised?
    I still support it, even if my suggestion above is rejected.

Blog Entries

Still support

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel of Time turns
    Citizen Gaming Staff Modding Staff

Support!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi

Signature by Lifthrasir

Flinn's Avatar oh man.. I did it again!
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director Modding Staff

Blog Entries

Overall I support the idea; I'd like to see only one "secondary" medal below the Opifex, but I will accept any form you'll prefer z3n
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

Modding Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Overall I support the idea; I'd like to see only one "secondary" medal below the Opifex, but I will accept any form you'll prefer z3n
    How about my "Valor" suggestion as a small award and once one have improve it up to the 4th Valor (silver) then one is eligible for the Centurion medium award?

Well, I thought about what you said Leonardo but I'd really like to keep them separate. Mainly because I see the smaller award more of a way to recognize acts that benefit the community but don't really represent anything absolutely concrete in terms of a 'real' contribution. It's more of a theoretical contribution if you know what I mean? tone gave away the RS2 environments to the community but it wasn't to anyone in particular or for any particular purpose. It was fantastic but it was more of a singular act, a remarkable one to be sure, but a singular act nonetheless.

I apologize if the idea isn't very clear but I was also thinking of various other examples where people release their work for free use, like the RTWMK modders who released their animations to everyone to work with. Or for example, Gemini Sandi in M2TW who released all his models and textures for free use. Alternatively small mods can count too or minor but really important contributions, like a very important tutorial to the community. Somebody like the shogun 2 total war modder uanime5 comes to mind for an example of that where he showed everyone how to modify the TW3Engines campaign map and add settlements to it on a massive scale. He'd be someone who'd definitely qualify for that small mod because he wrote such an important tutorial and helped the community out.

Whereas the Modding Service Award would specifically be more aimed toward bigger larger scale contributions, where the person actually made efforts to help specific people over long periods of time or release a major mod.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast