Thread: shield-switch | re-applying/editing .DDS

valky's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon5 shield-switch | re-applying/editing .DDS

Weird title...I'll try to explain:

While playing Empire, I noticed they kinda lack a decent defensive top-tier unit. Given the army books, I noticed the halberds have the option to get a shield and there even exists a named unit, depicted with a shield (Death's Heads)
    Cause I wasn't sure, what would be the best option, for a two-handed weapon and a shield; I noticed the Bretonnia Zweihander have their shield on the back *yay*

Figured, that's exactly what I want. Now, I get as far as attaching the shield, cause the empire shield model doesn't seem to work and I have to use the bretonnia shield (brt_questing_knight_shield_01_l variantmeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_props/tex/ in the rigid model)
    Now, while I get it to load properly and so on....I have now: either a decent shield on the back but with Brettonia ensigns or a completely messed up shield, when trying to replace the pointer of the *dds files within the rigid_model file.
    I can handle a tad bit of Photoshop, Illustrator and possible some other fancy tools..but when it comes to DDS & 3d-editing am a f*ing n00b!

So my first question, is it even more or less possible to adapt the texture of the existent empire shield to the brettonia one without hazzle or is there some fellow & helpful guy, who might give me some help

[It's not an OP unit..just shielded Halberds according army book 7/8 with a slight increase to their armor save, cause 'shield'. can also posts screens, if desired, what I've accomplished so far or what is not working. But I guess, anybody with knowledge in 3D editing, might get a clue from my description ^^

Further; I tried to use "attach_point=spine_x", but obviously it's the model. I also managed to get the shield as surfing-board done...! 'surfing halberds of doom'

..screenshots on demand & thanks for any insight or help!

I just need m0ar metal :Ţ METAL BAWKSES, DA KOWARDZ! TEH FEWLZ!!
    Last edited by valky; February 20, 2019 at 08:59 PM. Reason: --drunken :wub:
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite store on the Citadel!
    I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is now my favourite spot on the Citadel!

Better ingame Encyclopedia for Shogun 2 (reworked) - RotS - FotS (new map) + web-based version

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: shield-switch | re-applying/editing .DDS

preliminary, side remark: halberd are supposed to be a two handed weapon that you swing. I don't think it's reallistic to give them shields (even if it's in an army book, I don't think this kind of combination was eally used in history, for a reason).

First, the Brettonian shields area bit special, they use heraldry in a different way from other raction, with wsmodel and mask.

Second you cannot simply replace the pointer to a texture: it works only if the new texture has exactly the same shape as the old one. You need to make a copy of he Brettonian texture, open the file, open the texture for Empire, cut the part you want, paste it in the Brettonian texture at the correct position (resizing it if needed), save your edited dds file, ant that's this copy you will point to in the rigid_model.

Third, the shield position will be determined by the shield itself, and in what slot you put it in the variantmesh definition.

As you said, shields are usually on the arm, except the Brettonian one which is designed to be on the back.

And if you want more Empire: check this thread

valky's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: shield-switch | re-applying/editing .DDS

okay (actually I thought as much).

Though, the shield was used while marching up to the enemy unit and thrown away, that's what I gathered from various discussions. SO I was thinking of putting the shield on their back, to have it optical available but not using the animation for ie spear + shield.
    Converting and editing shouldn't be a problem, if it's really just changing/switching/fitting the texture. Will give it a shot..thanks.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite store on the Citadel!
    I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is now my favourite spot on the Citadel!

Better ingame Encyclopedia for Shogun 2 (reworked) - RotS - FotS (new map) + web-based version