Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: History channels.

Default Re: YouTube History Channels

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Yep. I don't really watch them anymore because I'm not going to learn anything, which is why I like ones like OverSimplified that have a comedic angle. I might not learn anything but at least I'll laugh.

I don't think they realize they're quickly running out of topics to do videos on because each video is short and on a broad topic like the history of German in less than 10 minutes. They'll run through Europe and the Americas and everybody's videos will essentially have the same script. Then what do they do? History Time has many videos over 30 minutes about a single event or a reign of an Anglo-Saxon king. They're not realizing their audience are history buffs too and already know a lot and are wanting to know more.
    Yes, plus... In some cases they would present an interesting historical question only to present a "narrative" of events in which the original question is virtually ignored. I do not know if the title (HQ) was meant as a click bait for people like myself or they had really bad history teachers. LOL

In some cases, really good channels would put internal pressures to put out videos and what was once a great concept gets watered down.

In another cause, they would discuss a battle and give way too much background information ad the battle is only given cursory treatment. It would had been more appropriate to refer to the entire campaign, than the culminating battle.

Its all about entertainment. If you really want to learn something, then it is still best to read for yourself.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I've long played with the idea of making a video where one layed out a long tangent about a specific subject while an accelerated video of a painting (related to the subject) played on the background. Ocasionally explaining certain decisions taken for the illustration and concluding with the finished piece. If anyone is familiar with Plague of Gripes, then something like that.

Would that be interesting?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I've watched Plague of Gripes, so why not. It depends on the subject I suppose. But if you want Patreon bucks it might not work out.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Ii I do ever go about it I doubt I'd do it for anything other than fun, and probably wouldn't touch any subject outside the "new world".

Patrician

Because I would want to know more about the new world, I would watch it.

I suggest you make two kinds of videos:
    -informal, for basic introduction
    -a more scholarly and well structured video for specific information

If you do a good job with the latter you could easily cement your reputation.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    A lot of these guys are so lazy though. Barely any detail what so ever, you would get the same reading Wikipedia or one of those 80 page Osprey books.
    You are not wrong.

Honestly one of my favorite channels is the Great war. You get lots of detail in there. It helps that is solely focused on that time period. The first world war.

Patrician

I like the Great War, I don't really like their WW2 channel. They basically just repeat the same old information, they seem to have missed a lot of the new information though.

I like the Great War, I don't really like their WW2 channel. They basically just repeat the same old information, they seem to have missed a lot of the new information though.
    Yes i found their WWII channel lacking in comparison.

Patrician

According to a guy I know, he says the reason is cause they only used one source that covers the entire war. So... yeah. If you are trying to cover WW2 and don't have a stack of RECENT books in front of you, you are doing it wrong.

I mean the great war channel showcases a lot of detail, it still has an episode dedicated to the Portuguese expeditionary force. Which is often forgotten, when we talk about WWI.

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 11, 2019 at 11:39 AM.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Last edited by Basileos Leandros I; September 15, 2019 at 05:46 PM.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Patrician

It was okay I guess. The thing is that Hitler at least was extremely apprehensive about invading Britain. The whole idea was suicidal. So I doubt the Germans would have ever gone through with it unless the Luftwaffe managed to wipe out the RAF in the summer. By Autumn it was just way too late.

I wonder what's your opinion about Armchair General. I just watched his video about the Iran-Iraq War and found it rather amateurish. He often over-simplifies and omits several important details (implying that Saddam Hussein adopting a conciliatory position in the negotiations or the zero mentioning of the al-Anfal campaign), which actually distort historical reality, but his presentation also included several mistakes. As far as I know, China was friendlier towards Iran than Iraq, while he always used the flag of the Russian Soviet Republic, instead of that of the USSR. The most glaring inaccuracy, however, was his reference to the Kurdish people living around Basra. I suppose he probably confused them with the Marsh Arabs. Also, his conclusion about the result of the war boosting Baghdad's confidence and prestige and actually encouraging it to invade Kuwait is completely inaccurate. In fact, it was the complete opposite, because the Iraqi budget and economy had collapsed so severely, that Saddam was extremely desperate for debt cuts and oil prices increasing. Overall, it gave me the impression that relied exclusively on a brief glance of Wikipedia's articles and spiced up by arbitrary conclusions of the author, based on lacking or misunderstood information.

On a more positive note, I actually appreciated the Kings and Generals video about the Greek coup against the Cypriot government in 1974 and the subsequent Turkish military intervention. It provided a more clearer picture of the affair and offered relatively elaborate descriptions of the armed engagements. However, I'm much less acquainted with that conflict, so there's a very strong chance that I simply missed any potential error.

Patrician

Armchair Historian videos are really general for my tastes. I don't watch his content very much, and I've never seen that video. Usually I watch Kings and Generals or BazBattles. Can't really comment on the Iran-Iraq War, I know very little about that. But yes, the Iran-Iraq War was devastating for Saddam, it was his first failure, something which to the Iraqi Ba'athists were all but assured to succeed. It also led to Saddam becoming more apprehensive of the USA and moving towards the USSR (Kuwait was the final nail), as the Syrian Leftist Ba'athists had done and as Iran was also doing.

One channel you guys should be watching is Samuel Hawley. He is the actual author of one of the Imjin War books (the other ones being Stephen Turnbull and Kenneth Swope).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1s...w_CAHlYoCVJopg
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; November 21, 2019 at 07:37 AM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

BazBattles is great, Invicta is fun, HistoriaCivilis is legit, and Kings and Generals is a guilty pleasure, but HistoryMarche is quickly becoming the most underrated channel of them all. You may not like it, Oda, but this is what peak performance looks like. Seriously, the amount of detail here is amazing, showing you the planning and logistics of each side and the developed versus rural countryside as Constantius and Julian our beloved Apostate traverse around Gaul and Germania with their armies. Alemannic Germanic tribesmen hate him! Find out how this Roman emperor used this one neat trick of utilizing sound strategy and impressive field tactics to beat them at Strasbourg in 357 AD.

It also helps the Romans that Chnodomar's men on his right flank were undisciplined and gave away the game they were planning to ambush the Romans from the nearby woods. Sometimes when you try too hard to seek glory you end up giving it all away to the other side as an unintended gift.

Patrician

I don't think I've seen HistoryMarche. But I have no idea what HistoriaCivilis or Invicta are.
    I'll check out the video. But usually when it comes to these things I would want the entire campaign broken down with information about logistics, politics, mobilization and also the positions of every unit down to the Division level. That sort of thing. Would have to be multiple videos, each probably an hour long. Haven't found this type of thing outside of books. Dan Carlin isn't as specific either.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I don't think I've seen HistoryMarche.
    I feel personally attacked and insulted by this statement, Oda.

But I have no idea what HistoriaCivilis or Invicta are.
    VIOLENCE! This is violence, Oda! Against me and against everyone else who loves these channels for the astute knowledge and top tier animations they bring us. Your refusal to know about these channels is purely despicable and particularly loathsome.

I'll check out the video. But usually when it comes to these things I would want the entire campaign broken down with information about logistics, politics, mobilization and also the positions of every unit down to the Division level. That sort of thing. Would have to be multiple videos, each probably an hour long. Haven't found this type of thing outside of books. Dan Carlin isn't as specific either.
    I see no other choice, Oda, but to Boycott, Divest, and Sanction your entire citizen membership here at TWC, over these foul and perverted barbarian noises you are making here. The only thing that can save you now is pretty much a glowing review of the HistoryMarche video above. Anything less will be viewed as an act of war.

I need a catchy phrase against you, though, something like "REMEMBER THE MAINE" from the Spanish-American War, only about Youtube history channels instead. I will not rest until every Canadian Jew of Venezuelan descent disavows you as one of their own and becomes aligned against you.

If anyone's interested i got a little amateur documentary done about the Tunisian Campaign. Probably some mistakes here and there im sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1knACwam-k

I plan to do one more either about Operation Ironclad, the east african campaign, or syria-lebanon campaign +anglo iraq war +invasion of iran. Though im guessing i'll actually have at it by july.
    Last edited by Wulfburk; February 18, 2020 at 09:25 AM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

I love the map graphics Wulf. A sub from me!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I've decided to become a supporter of one of the channels - specifically TimeGhost, who produces World War 2 - as I feel they've done a fabulous amount of work so far and they deserve the support.

www.timeghost.tv

Suggest you guys do the same with your favourite channels
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!