Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Request for Early Game Advice

Default Re: Request for Early Game Advice

I think the time-horizons for such assessment should be longer. The problem is the availability of the decent troops: it's what holds me back in my games, not money (and I play VH). For a few factions it may be true but for most disbanding medium-to-good troops that fill recruitment pools in like 10+ turns is an inferior option. It's different in than in other mods (sorry to repeat it, but I hope my experience from the other mods may be valuable for the EBII): in the SSHIP a unit of heavy feudal cavalry costs like 1,2k both upkeep and recruitment, these are numerous (in practice, in each province you have "Local council" building that brings feudals), and they're expensive (a good city brings 2.0-2.5k income - so one city may support only 2 units of heavy cavalry - for the EBII it's like 8) - as a result after each campaign you're better off t disband them. But it's not the case in the EBII - I never disband, good troops just melt away during fight.
    It's not too bad, the player should just make an assessment of their recruitment pools. 1 unit (25 up to 50 turns) means you will be hard pressed to have more than 1 out of any recruitment center and that one is unlikely to be reinforced ever. 2 units means you can safely have at least 1 in every campaign and reinforce it in a timely fashion. 3 units means you can have two or even three and reinforce then timely, these will most likely be the base of your army. 4 or more, send em to the meat grinder. Still, one should consider when they need these troops and where, and make use of the winter mustering. You can get a full stack out of three settlements in a single turn and turn any invasion around if you have the money in the bank, and you won't have the money in the bank if you are paying for troops you don't need.

Edit: Worth also trying to recruit from each source according to its supply. If you need a full stack and got 5 settlements, try to use all of them rather than 3 or 2. The lower tier and most common troops will probably not care, but you might need a professional or elite and won't have them there later. This is also worth considering for reinforcing, avoid reinforcing that unit you need in a settlement that only pops out 1 and do it in the settlement that pops out 3 or 4.

You should also take a look at your mercenary pool. It may provide high-level factional units that you can't get in good numbers from other sources at the moment, and might be reinforcable.
    Last edited by RodriguesSting; February 21, 2019 at 06:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12