Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default [SUBMOD: Rpg Units] RPGu Alpha_02 [upd: feb.27/20]

RPG Units
    R P G u

Alpha_02
    Notes: post #60

! RPGu is for TESTUDO only !
    ! RPGu is already included into TESTUDO !

WHAT IS "RPGu"?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    RPGu_Alpha_01 will give you the possibility to choose different and specific General Bodyguards.
    Each type of Bodyguard will give you different army effects.
    10 Factions available for now

WHAT IS INSIDE "RPGu"?
    For now there are 12 different types of Bodyguards.

WHY "RPGu"?
    Actually, I did this mod mostly for TESTUDO, which has a slower pace.
    Besides effects and BG differences, it's mostly a "flavour submod".
    You can have a lot of fun by choosing the needed BG and your choices will interfere with the game itself (since there are a lot of various effects taking place depending on a lot of variables).

"RPGu" TO DO IDEAS
    I'm planning to do other rpg units.
    They won't be Bodyguard units, but normal and recruitable ones.
    Different BG units will be the prerequsite (for others and related specific units) to trigger different effects.

Some examples:
    - captain units for infantry, archers, cavalry. They'll cost more but give you some specific effect to the whole army
    - custom units for administration (something like "priest" for culture, "messanger" for strat movement, "trainer" for general's experience and so on...)
    I have still to think about their features, names, numbers

> "RPGu" BODYGUARD LIST

form left to right (the UI are basic romans but every faction has its own while in-game):

fighting armies:

-- LEVY ARMY
    -- REGULAR ARMY
    -- PROFESSIONAL ARMY

-- MERCENARY ARMY
    -- GARRISON ARMY
    -- MOUNTED ARMY

drilling armies:

-- DRILLING TROOP

administrators:

-- LAND ADMINISTRATOR
    -- URBAN ADMINISTRATOR
    -- PROVINCIAL GOVERNOR

diplomats:

-- DIPLOMAT

naval:

-- HARBOR ADMINISTRATOR
    ---------------

Besides the different types there are also new and different features:

CAMPAIGN STANCES: can be OWNED REGION, FOREIGN REGION OR GARRISONED
    ARMY STANCES: REPLENISH, RAIDING, AMBUSH and FORTIFY now depend on: BG TYPE, CAMPAIGN STANCE and ARMY SIZE (keep in mind the UI might get buggy sometimes, click around, open new tabs and should return fine).
    Keep in mind that having a fighting army deployed (not garrisoned) in an owned region will generate a patrol effect (PO and other things)Keep in mind that I lowered the deployables (player only) so to have less bonuses while fighting
    ARMY SIZE: depends on how many units you have inside the army (usually: 1-2 / 3-4 / 5-6 / 7-9 / 10-13 / 14 -17 / 18-19 / 20+)
    GENERAL EXP: when the general is gaining 1 exp per turn

So, the army effects will be an interpolation depending on BG TYPE, CAMPAIGN STANCE and ARMY SIZE (STANCES keep their separated effects).
    There are a lot of different possibilities.
    And... yeah, the effects are a lot, TESTUDO style, nothing I can do about that. This method is 100% needed for a TESTUDO style.
    And... yeah, units stats effects tend to be slight penalties. This is for having slightly harder battles.

You'll see there are, basically, 3 main types of effects:

SAME COLOUR OF THE BG TYPE: it could be white, orange, purple, it depends on the BG type. It means everything is fine and the army is respecting the various conditions
    GREY: you'll have some penalties
    RED: you'll have heavy penalties, better not to meet these conditions

Here are some examples so you can get the idea

A NORMAL SITUATION (SAME COLOUR OF THE BG TYPE)

DOWN HERE AN EXAMPLE FOR PENALTIES (GREY)

DOWN HERE AN EXAMPLE FOR HIGH PENALTIES (RED)

Here is a TAB with a complete list of the posibilities

LEVY ARMY
    - BGs are infantry only
    - slightly weaker but cheaper than the Regular one
    - slight bonuses to light troops
    - slight bonuses to ranged damage
    - slight maluses to heavy troops
    - can't fortify

FEATURES' LIST

REGULAR ARMY
    - the classic army

FEATURES' LIST

PROFESSIONAL ARMY
    - slightly stronger but expensive than the Regular one
    - slight bonuses to heavy troops
    - slight maluses to light troops
    - can't raid

FEATURES' LIST

MERCENARY ARMY
    - an army focused on mercenaries. They will be stronger and cheaper
    - slight bonus to mercs replenishment in the province where this army is deployed
    - slight bonus for raiding

FEATURES' LIST

GARRISON ARMY
    - meant to remain garrisoned in sensible regions, also as a detterent for AI
    - has more deployables (I've highly reduced them for other army types)
    - less PO malus for being garrisoned
    - -1 to building turns (for new buildings/upgrades) in the region where it is garrisoned
    - can't raid

FEATURES' LIST

MOUNTED ARMY
    - slight bonuses to cavalry troops
    - heavy maluses to infantry troops
    - slightly more strat movement
    - can't fortify

FEATURES' LIST

DRILL TROOP
    - meant mostly for recruiting reasons
    - not meant to fight
    - less recruitment cost and upkeep
    - +1 to provincial recruitment points
    - +1 to exp chevron
    - can replenish only

FEATURES' LIST

LAND ADMINISTRATOR
    - focused on land effects
    - not meant to fight
    - produces food
    - produces culture
    - produces growth
    - lowers banditry
    - bonuses to agriculture and trade
    - can replenish only

FEATURES' LIST

URBAN ADMINISTRATOR
    - focused on urban effects
    - produces PO
    - produces sanitation
    - -2 to building turns (for new buildings/upgrades) in the region where it is garrisoned
    - bonuses to subsistence, industry, culture
    - can replenish only

FEATURES' LIST

PROVINCIAL GOVERNOR
    - basically, it is a land + urban, all in one
    - NOT for home province (where you have the capital)
    - notice that you must have at least 3 regions in the same provinces (so, 2 regions provinces can't have a governor)
    - please, DO NOT CHEAT, use just one for every province (I could avoid it via script but would require a lot of work)
    - can replenish only

FEATURES' LIST

DIPLOMAT
    OWNED REGION:
    - +5 loyalty to the party owning this province
    - + 1 loyalty to all parties
    - + 5 diplomacy with all factions (separeted faction effect, not cumulative, no matter how many diplomats you deploy. Cumulative with "garrisoned" diplomat effect)

FOREIGN
    - +30 diplomacy with the faction owning the region you're currently at (remember the trespassing maluses, I've lowered them a lot but they are present anyway, so don't stay too long if you don't have military access)

GARRISONED:
    - +3 loyalty to all parties
    - +10 diplomacy with all factions (separated faction effect, not cumulative, no matter how many diplomats you deploy. Cumulative with "owned" diplmat effect

FEATURES' LIST

HARBOR ADMINISTRATOR
    The Harbor Administrator does:
    - some slight bonuses about adiministration in general and trading too
    - + 1 recruitment points for naval units (in the region)
    - can supply
    - can't raid
    It works better if garrisoned, but you can use it as an accompanying fleet for land armies

FEATURES' LIST

> "RPGu" UNITS LIST
    LAND ADMINISTRATOR
    SETTLERS

Basing on Dresden's Settlers submod I've done my own version for RPGu.
    Choose your class and disband it/them wherever you want. Meant for playing a little with the pop system.
    UI card is temporary, I'll have to understand which style to adopt as I go on working on RPGu units
    SETTLERS will be availabe in regions which have at least the second tier building for the main chain. Also, the building must be of the same culture of player's (or be a custom capital)

PLAYABLE FACTIONS (15 for now)

"We can’t all of us do everything."
    Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65 BC – 8 BC)

COMPATIBILITY
    THIS PART IS OBSOLETE, FOR NOW AT LEAST

- RPGu is NOT compatible outside DeI
    (Rome 2 vanilla or any orher Rome 2 overhaul, it's for DeI only)
    - RPGu is NOT compatible with any other mod having custom external scripts (like Testudo, Benjin's videos, camera mods...)
    - RPGu is NOT compatible with PIGS (use the patch found inside the download spoiler)
    - RPGu is NOT FULLY compatible with DeI's Official Hardcore, Alternative Economy and Scipio's Realism (due to unit cost changes, but you can use RPGu with them)

- RPGu is compatible with any DeI's Official submod (official, softcore, combat related)
    - RPGu is compatible with any DeI's mod overwriting existing scripts (like Age of Hellenism, reforms turns, population modifiers, historical missions)
    - RPGu is compatible with any DeI's mod adding/modding units and graphical things
    - RPGu is compatible with Cultural Tensio and De Ai Arbitris (notice that DAIA is not actually fully compatible with DeI due to recent CAI)
    - RPGu is compatible wih Benjin's AAA

@@@ DOWNLOAD currently not available for vanilla DeI (WILL NEVER BE, PROBABLY)

Roman coin - two headed Janus
    (240 B.C.)

Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 28, 2020 at 07:47 AM.

Patrician

Default Re: [Submod: rpg units] RPGu_Beta_01 (for DeI 1.2.4a) [upl. feb 16/19]

- EXTRAS -

NOTES:
    - All RPGu effects UIs are pentagonal
    - scripted effects will affect the game with a 1 turn delay (so if you exit garrison i.e., effects will be shown next turn)
    - scripted effects regarding units' numbers will affect the game with 2 turn delay (so if you recruit a unit i.e., effects will be shown 2 turns after)
    - sometimes the Army Stances will disappear or be too many (just click around, open panles and you should be ok)

CREDITS:
    - Thanks to Dardo21 for helping me with the UI/text issues I had
    - Thanks to DominusEtDeus for the Levy/Regular/Professional armies idea
    - Thanks to Seleukos.I.Nikator for the Alexander Marshal submod (another way of using RPGu features)
    - Thanks to Mr Timbe68 for explaining me the process to produce a naval unit

Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 27, 2020 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Dard

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default Re: [Submod: rpg units] RPGu Beta_01 (for DeI 1.2.4a) [upl. feb 16/19]

Jake, aren't you a bit of a workoholic?

Patrician

All the things I'm releasing lately are in my mind since 6 months at least.
    I'm just doing the physical packs, I really want to go on with Testudo, last release was in august.
    I'm happy to have playable beta packs 'cause it's much easier to improve them and eventually add new features now.
    Less chatting and more reality.

I already have some ideas to improve PIGS to take it to an alpha version. Seems actual beta skeleton is working, so I can start giving flavour to it, and not only math.
    I think also RPGu (in an improved version) will be a really good feature for slower paced mods.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 18, 2019 at 05:30 AM.

Maybe adding some variation to baggage trains would have been a better way to do it?
    Just a first thought that popped in my head about your stuff.

Patrician

Think I've recruited the train just once, I don't even remember what it exactly does. I'll check.
    Anyway this submod should work as per train's script, more or less.
    If you have a particular unit, then do stuff for the entire army.

I believe Furgon was suggesting that rather than using the general slot for the purpose of your mod, it might have been an alternative to assign the RPG general's effects to something similar to the baggage train unit.
    Like, for example, having the unit "Recruitment staff", "Religious staff" etc... units, recruitable in every army like any normal unit

Patrician

Yep, I'll do this way later, for real RPG units.
    But I need BG to make variations, actually.
    First the BG defines the army typology, then RPG units add different and specific effects

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

Hello Jake. Really impresed by what you can do and the hall idea! though i need to say that you have right. as you already mention fits mostly another pace of gameplay. It can be almost frustrating on later campaigns to track all those armies. On the other hand, The rpg units, one that you can easily despand or recruit, can give the flavor that fits on a more fast ( but still slow n complex ) campaign.

'Let me know what you think.'
    Yea, I think it's a superb idea. 'Extraordinarii' original and realistic as well. Many thanks Jake. Waiting for more factions support (do this means every faction new work ?)

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by nikossaiz View Post
    Hello Jake. Really impresed by what you can do and the hall idea! though i need to say that you have right. as you already mention fits mostly another pace of gameplay. It can be almost frustrating on later campaigns to track all those armies. On the other hand, The rpg units, one that you can easily despand or recruit, can give the flavor that fits on a more fast ( but still slow n complex ) campaign.
    Yeah, that's correct, DeI's pace is unfit for this type of submod, but since you can just recruit normal DeI BG and the game won't change at all, I preferred to release it as an external feature for people interested.
    This way I can also link this page from Testudo thread instead of long explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardusius View Post
    'Let me know what you think.'
    Yea, I think it's a superb idea. 'Extraordinarii' original and realistic as well. Many thanks Jake. Waiting for more factions support (do this means every faction new work ?)
    Every faction will need its pack. It's not really difficult or time consuming to do, but I firstly wanted to release the idea and see what people think about.

Honestly I'd appreciate some implementation of the Baggage Train. Instead of having it take up a unit slot, it could just be like an agent, if possible to have say a champion/spy/diplomat and baggage train in an army. Providing some kind of additional bonus (maybe morale?) The purpose is quite cool I think, to connect your army to supply lines when moving deeper into enemy territory. In battle they do provide a sphere of influence, but they will get annihilated by any opposing unit. It could be open to sabotage by spies or champions on the campaign map and if the army is defeated and retreats maybe it loses some bonus values. Probably impossible to script this, but I can dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post

PATCH TO PLAY RPGu with PIGS (it needs to be loaded before both RPGu and PIGS): https://www.mediafire.com/file/sadsc...PIGS.pack/file

Do you mean PIGS needs to be taken out if already in and replaced in the file or just in the Mod Manager order?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 19, 2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Throwerofstones View Post
    Do you mean PIGS needs to be taken out if already in and replaced in the file or just in the Mod Manager order?
    No, you just need to drop that file in your data folder and make sure that it loads above the two aforementioned mods.

Patrician

Default Re: [Submod: rpg units] RPGu Beta_02 (for DeI 1.2.4b) [upl. mar.16/19]

RPGu_Beta_02
    is out!

- done packs for 15 factions
    - slightly tweaked some effect values
    - tweaked some experience trigger values (slightly lowered exp gained by generals and agents, removed bonuses for garrisoned generals in regions with public_order >= 25 and/or tax_level >=115)
    - LAND ADMINISTRATOR will now give +1 exp per turn to the general (if conditions are respected)

Super job, Jake ! For me it increase DeI flavour a lot. Waiting for more factions. And your ToDo list is absolutely awesome.
    Cheers, pal.

Patrician

Yep, think it will be a really good addition for slower paced mods like testudo.
    Tomorrow evening I should release 1.5, finally

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Great, innovative work, JA!I'm definitely going to run this when I start a long form Roman campaign.

So annoyed I only just saw this, looks super interesting and adds a cool dynamic to the lonely generals DeI players usually leave alone in cities now. One question though.. In the description you mentioned events that effect units, did you mean that this submod adds events specifically for these units that your adding in or did you mean DeI events can effect them?
    Bloody champ Jake keep up the good work!

Patrician

you can check all current effects (even if I've already changed some for the testudo release) into spolier pictures.
    What you're referring to might be the real project I have in mind (current version is a sort of quick done palliative) where there won't be the BG unit only, but every specialized BG will have its specific custom units to give effects (something like "priest" for culture, "messanger" for strat movement, "trainer" for general's experience and so on...)

' the real project I have in mind (current version is a sort of quick done palliative) where there won't be the BG unit only, but every specialized BG will have its specific custom units to give effects (something like "priest" for culture, "messanger" for strat movement, "trainer" for general's experience and so on...)'
    Hey Jake, do want to conquer the whole world with your excellent ideas, instead of armies ?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast