Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tuscan Gentlemen of Italy

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default The Tuscan Gentlemen of Italy

The Tuscan Gentlemen of Italy
    Introduction

by NorseThing

This is a beginning of a new series in my collection of tales under the general idea of 'After the Crusade' though this will be posted as a stand alone thread. I will make a link in the table of contents of the main thread. I want our members to give this a try. I am excited at the potential. I hope the thread will live up to the hype I am giving it. This is a bit different than the other tales. This may be a bit longer if the writing works out well. All will depend on a booting up Medieval II via Steam and of course Stainless Steel. I am still struggling with the ins and outs of Windows 10 as well. So this may become more of shake down cruise. Think of it as a warm sunny Mediterranean cruise while playing Total War....

Please read this thread as it expands and think of this as a bit of homage to William Shakespeare and his light comedies. How anything resembling a Shakespearean light comedy can blend into a Total War tale may be a balance that I cannot achieve. I lack the skills of the master of the plays, but perhaps I can hope to invoke some of the spirit of the light comedies. Sadly, this attempt will be strictly in prose recognizing my limitations in writing in verse.

Naturally,this is also an After Action Report. Every AAR is a homage to Total War games. I am playing Medieval II Total War using the Stainless Steel 6.4 modification and starting in the early era (1100 A.D.) as the Kingdom of Genoa. This modification is a clean version without any of the sub-modifications.

Act 1 is setting the stage so to speak. The AAR begins in earnest during Act 2. But do not lose all hope with the scenes in Act 1. Act 1 sets the early characters and a bit more to help explain future acts of the play. Unlike Shakespeare or other play writers, this presentation may have a large number of acts. We will see as this progresses and how I should handle the labeling. Some the scenes area bit short and some are of a more moderate length. This is a bit like what happens in a real play. I hope you enjoy the play as you read through this. I will attempt to update this thread once a week,but I cannot be trusted to keep this promise. Call this my Valentine gift to TWC!
    Our planned cast of players (to be updated as this tale progresses):

Principal people represented:

Doge Martino, the aging leader of the Kingdom of Genoa, 67
    Gianetta (in spirit), Doge Martino's wife now deceased
    Councillor Ansoido, 36, the son of the Doge of Genoa and heir
    Elisa,31, Councillor Ansoido's wife
    Prince Simone di Oria, 12, Councillor Ansoido's son
    Prince Heinrich, 14, heir to the Holy Roman Empire
    Oberto Spinola, 32, A Genoese General
    Councillor Vitale, 26, heir to the Kingdom of Venice and brother to Princess Nicola
    Princess Martinella di Oria, 17, Councillor Ansoido's daughter
    Princess Nicola, 20, daughter of Doge Vitale of the Kingdom of Venice

other members represented:
    Cardinal Evio da Genova, 38, Genoese Priest
    Tommaso Cattoneo, 26, Genoese diplomat
    Cimento Pedemonte, 20, Genoese spy
    Lorenzodi Medici, 30, Genoese merchant

Default Re: The Tuscan Gentlemen of Italy

Act 1 Scene 1

by NorseThing

The scene: A small select number of the Council of Nobles have assembled in the Doge's private residence in Genoa. The council is a mix of aristocrats and men of arms from both the Republic of Pisa and the Republic of Genoa. Many are present, but few dare to speak honestly.

Doge Martino, "Greetings, my dear friends. Today we must plan for the future. Should we dip into the treasury for a mission of conquest? Should we dip into the treasury to improve our lands? What must be kept for the poorer times that may be in our future? Florins are the key and also the reason for this meeting."

Cardinal Evio de Genova, "My Doge, the word of the Lord is clear on this. The florins in our treasury will not buy you an assurance in the hereafter, but the good Pope would be honored to say a prayer on your behalf if you gave some support to the church with some of the florins from the treasury."

General Spinola, "I may not be the greatest general of our lands, but our lands are small and that means the number of generals is small as well. Your son and my best friend, may know better than I about this situation. Expansion within our lands has less risk and the rewards to the people can be immediate. I suggest we lower the taxes a bit and proclaim a building program that will help the military to build strength for the future. We can proclaim some of the projects to benefit the merchants. You, my Doge, are better suited as an administrator than a warrior in the field. Your family has deep roots as one of the great merchant families of Genoa. Your reputation could convince the merchants we have their interests."

Councillor Ansoido, "My father, there is a great amount of truth in General Spinola's words, but.... There is also confusion in our goals and our intentions in what he suggests as well. The military and the aristocrats have always thought the other of lacking in the common interests. If we proclaim one goal and work toward another goal, both the military and the aristocrats will in the end will distrust you, for you are not speaking the truth. It is fine that our family has merchant roots, but the key to being a great merchant..."

Lorenzo di Medici now thought it wise to make himself known. "As a merchant, I realize speaking of truth is important. Just as in the art of a diplomat, deals require a great deal of trust by all parties and all families inolved. To close one deal and forgo future deals is not in the interest of any merchant in Genoa. After the first crusade was called by our dearly beloved Pope, Urban II, there was an increased demand for trade."

General Spinola sitting next to Councillor Ansoido, speaks softly into Councillor Ansoido's ear, "Lorenzo will no doubt continue with a bit of a history lesson. He is noted for finding the longest path to any answer and in this he does not disappoint his audience today. "

Lorenzo continues, "Since the French were such a large part of the effort despite their King being excommunicated, the Normans took up the banner on the king's behalf. Trade to and from points east improved the wealth of all Italian cities. Genoa gained more than some. We thus grew into the kingdom we know today. When the Holy Roman Empire grew weary of our needs for attention, we made the needed investments to secure the trade routes. With growth came the union of our beloved small city of Genoa with the trading town of Pisa. I cannot see any reason to upset this balance that we gain from trade. We gain by being a link between the rest of Europe with the regions to our east. These trade routes are now protected by our navy and not by the Holy Roman Empire's resources."

General Spinola, "I still maintain we must broaden our base beyond our small patch on the Mediterranean coast and a poor and undeveloped island just off our shores. The island of Corsica has too few people to develop the resources. The island's motte and bailey does little to protect the farming peasants and the sheep and the goats from the occasional pirates. That task is fulfilled by our navy. On this point Lorenzo and I are in agreement. We should look for a land more in keeping with our merchant skills. At the very least we should look for a land more suitable to more fully develop the military. So we must find projects that work towards the merchant interests. These projects must also work toward a stronger future military. To sell one half of an idea does not mean we are not speaking the truth."

Doge Martino, "We must be clear in our intentions. Half of truth is never the whole truth. So where can we look beyond our borders, if we were to decide to do so? The French Normans in Sicily have not been a bother after settling into the Muslim lands. They are no longer the pirates we once feared. They also have the support of the church. We even came to their aid in North Africa when they were settling into Sicily. With Papal support, we attacked a North African town in 1087. The Muslim Imam was the real source of the piracy. We did not have the people to take firm hold of a fully devout Islamic land. We attempted this and failed. Even with the fullest of cooperation between Genoa and Pisa, we did not have the strength to hold the town. A sacking raid did nothing but raise the ire of the local Imam."

General Spinola, "There are but three potential lands that do not violate the more established lands of our neighbors. It is against their interests for Genoa to gain in strength no matter how we achieve the gain. The three potentials are the minor city of Milan in Lombardy, the island town of Palma in the western Mediterranean that borders no power, and the town of Marseille in Provence."

Councillor Ansoido, "You forgot to mention the wooden castle settlement on the island of Sardinia to our south. If our one island does not have the resources, couldn't Sardinia serve as another military base to bolster our western Mediterranean interests? Two small settlements may be stronger than one larger settlement."

General Spinola, "It is not a town settlement. Neither Corsica nor Sardinia is large enough to justify port facilities for our merchants nor even docks for our naval squadrons. Also, the merchants would never agree to add another castle to our small kingdom. I believe the Sicilian Normans also have their eyes cast upon the island of Sardinia. The Doge also mentioned that the Pope has supported the Sicilians in the past and might view Sardinia as a reward to Sicily for past service. I also think that the garrison is tougher than Palma and perhaps even comparable to the equally challenging garrisons of Marseille and Milan. A challenging garrison. There are no quick rewards for our merchants. This does not pay back an investment to the treasury quickly."

Doge Martino: Thank you gentlemen. I am not certain we have settled a thing here today. There is much to think about before I make a decision. Now, the day is bright and full of cheer. Let's adjourn and think no more of this matter. I am certain that there are some young women in the courtyard of more interest to my friends of the Genoa nobility than speaking with an old man in a dark palace. Go out... into the sun! Enjoy the company and enjoy the day!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

The town where I was born! Interesting plot! Subscribed!

Just to help public imagination and my private nostalgia, here Genoa, how She was on 1481:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I like the sound of General Spinola's advice. Even though Lorenzo takes time to make his points, his thinking sounds valuable too.

@Diocle: I spent a part of a summer in the area as a guest. I think it was the best time I spent outside of the USA. It did kind of remind me of the hills and hogbacks in Colorado before you enter the mountains. Not that this is based upon such memories. You picture is 4 centuries after the start of the play. It shows what growth is and was possible! Thanks for checking in and sharing the picture.

@Alwyn: Yes the Merchant does tend to drag on a bit. A part of establishing something interesting with each character. I am trying to make this a bit lighter than Total War, but...

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A wonderful set-up to begin your new tale with NorseThing! I think you have a very ambitious idea here and I'm interested to see how you fare performing it.

Act 1 Scene 2

by NorseThing

The scene: The Doge's private residence courtyard where many of the Tuscan gentlemen are gathering with the ladies of Tuscany

Councillor Ansoido is the first to walk out into the courtyard bathed in the afternoon sun. He is followed by the rest of the nobles that attended the meeting. The Doge is the last noble to leave the residence. The musicians are playing a light tune in keeping with light summer breeze. The trees offer shade from the early afternoon mediteranean afternoon. Princess Martinella is the first to notice that the meeting of the nobles is adjourned. She reaches out to greet her father, the Councillor...

Oberto then proceeds to meet quietly with Tommaso Cattoneo and Cimento Pedemonte off to the side, "Tommaso, my dear friend and diplomat for Genoa. It may be time to travel to the south and meet with the Pope and also with some of the principals with the Sicilian Kingdom."
    Tommaso, "So IT has been decided?"

Oberto, "I am speaking as a general in Genoa's military. Nothing has been decided, but everything must proceed as if it has been decided. And my dear friend Cimmento, we need more information regarding Marseille. The coast road as well as the surrounding countryside might be important to us. The military needs to know more about Provence than we do at the moment."

The conversation then turns more to the ladies and the Doge's family which have simply neither noticed nor cared about Oberto's quiet talk on the side.
    Princess Martinella, "Father, I am so glad the meeting has ended. It is a great afternoon. There is no need to stay cramped up in a dark residence when even the birds are singing to accompany the musicians."

Elisa, "Yes my dear husband, your father's home never looked so dark than it did today when we knew you were gathering and plotting behind closed doors. Why did you and the others meet here rather than the usual spaces in the town hall? Your father's home now looks so much more like a palace with afternoon light reflecting off of the Tuscan marble walls. The meeting must be over for the day for the sun to reflect so well off of a Doge's home."

Before the Councillor can speak up, Oberto greets the ladies with a long and overly exaggerated bow, "My ladies, this home does indeed look better from the outside. It must be your gracious presence that brightens up our day."

Councillor Martino was a bit distracted by Oberto. He looked like he was about to answer Elisa's questions. Now with a pause to compose himself due to Oberto's overt acting performance, "Yes I agree with Oberto. Your presence would brighten up the darkest of days."

Doge Martino, "With musicians playing and such wonderful company, it would be a shame to return to my home's corridors for our midday meal. Let's have tables set up under the trees and we can then compare whether my musicians or God's birds are the more beautiful on this fine afternoon."

The servants are then busy with the preparations of a pleasant afternoon courtyard meal for guests and family alike.

The Doge with his ladies and gentlemen of Tuscany are now seated in the courtyard under the trees for a midday meal.

The musicians stop playing as the Doge rises to speak.

The Doge, "Before we begin and before I request a brief prayer from the Cardinal, I propose a toast. A toast to Tuscany. A toast to the ladies present. A toast to the success of my family and my friends."

All raise their wine and repeat the toast.

The Doge, "Now my dear friend, Evio, will you bless this gathering before our meal?"

Cardinal Evio da Genova, "Lord, bless us. We are gathered here for a meal and to appreciate your presence by the beauty of your nature that surrounds us this afternoon. In your name as father, son, and the spirit of all that is holy, Amen."

The musicians then begin again with the light music. The birds never stopped their own chorus. The servants begin to serve the meal. Of course the first to be served is the most senior lady, the Councillor's wife Elisa followed by the rest of the ladies present. Then the men in order of importance, stating of course with the Doge and his male child and his grandson.

Elisa, "we have much gayer matters before us than what the men discussed behind the closed doors. We have a daughter of age for marriage and no official prospects have been announced. Is this because the gentlemen of Genoa are in some way lacking in merit? Do we need to cast a larger net? Perhaps in Bologna in Romagna... or Milan in Lombardy... or perhaps as far away as our chief trading competition in Venice. Should we need our net to reach so far? Then there is also our son who will come of age in such a short while. Time is precious. It should never be wasted."

Martinella,"Oh mother! Please! The gentlemen of Tuscany are perfect. The point is not whether they are lacking in merit. It is also whether I have proven myself of worth for their attentions. My title is not a good reason for me, so I would hope it would not be a good enough reason for any gentleman to approach the subject of matrimony. I would take my vows seriously and would expect no less of my future husband."

Elisa, "Perhaps then it would be best for you to travel and see more of Italy. You could travel with your younger brother. He must learn of the wider world."
    Martinella, "I would be happy to go on a tour. My brother, Simone, is ready to learn more of the beauty of Italy."

Elisa, "As you have said, you take your vows seriously. So would you vow to travel with all the dignity that a daughter of the Councillor of Genoa requires?"

Martinella, "Certainly mother. I vow to travel with the dignity and responsibility of my birth. My heritage is Tuscany. My desire would always be for your and father's love and respect for all that matters."

Simone, "I seem to be heading out on an Italian tour. As much as I love my sister, do I have any say in these plans for my future?"

Elisa, "Your future is the concern of your mother and father. When you come of age, your future will be in your own hands. This is for better or for worse. It is what coming of age means."

Simone, "It seems I am taking the marriage vow a bit to early. Perhaps this 'for better or for worse' should wait?"

Elisa, "Your youthful age of twelve is not too early. I myself was promised at even a younger age. This is what your position requires. It is what is required of your family. You are the future of our family. You are the future of Tuscany."

Doge Martino, "Enough of the discussion of matrimonial affairs. We still have a great afternoon sun and a courtyard filled with music. Let us finish our meals before we marry off our granddaughter and grandson."

The musicians again picked up their instruments as the servants began to clear the finished dishes. The sun was a bit lower suggesting the end of another Mediterranean summer day. The guests depart. The Doge's close family returned to the Councillor's own residence further in town. The other guests slowly leave the courtyard to return to their homes as well. The Doge himself and his servants head inside. A warming fire has begun in the Doge's personal study. The courtyard is now empty.
    Last edited by NorseThing; February 28, 2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: corrected peer suggestion

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Another AAR! I haven't read it yet, but I'm popping by to say all the best, the title is certainly an eye catching one.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

I think I would like to be at one of those Mediterranean summer days, the scenery must be absolutely gorgeous.

Regarding that scentence, if you don't mind me saying this, it's a bit funny in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    The sun was a bit lower suggesting the end of another Mediterranean summer day was getting close to ending.
    I would suggest you either remove the 'to ending' at the end of your sentence or you remove 'suggesting the end of' and change it with 'suggesting that'.
    Just a minor thing that sprang to my mind when reading this chapter.

The rest of it was great and fun to read!

Keep up the good work NorseThing!

A good grammar point!

Act 1 Scene 3

by NorseThing

The scene: The sun has set. A full moon is high in the night sky. Princess Martinella is meeting a young man in the hills near her father's home but outside the safety of the minor city's stone walls.

Martinella, "I am over here."

Oberto, "I see you. It is by the light of the moon, but you are as lovely as you were earlier today at your grandfather's city home. Why did you insist on meeting here? This is away from the safety of the city walls. It can be dangerous for a young lady without an escort."

Martinella, "It is often not the thieves and brigands whom I fear. There are prying eyes from all who know me. I do not trust any of my father's and grandfather's servants to keep a secret. Eyes are are everywhere in Genoa. (a long pause as they settle together on a fallen tree) I thought I was going to die when mother asked why some of the Council was meeting at father's home rather than at the town hall. Now I and my younger brother must go on a tour of Italy. I presume this is to find a suitable marriage prospect, but I would rather be with you than with any other."

Oberto, "Well your mother may know more than you think. I doubt that was an idle or careless question on her part. She either knows or suspects that something is about to happen that many on the Council would disapprove of. Specific disapproval would be by the merchants who fear a disruption of trade if war breaks out. Worse fears would be if taxes are raised to fund a war. She may be married into the Martino family, but her roots are within the other merchant families of Genoa."

Martinella, "But then why does she insist on my going on tour? In any case, it means that I cannot visit you here or in Corsica."

Oberto, "I do not think I will be available for visits in the near future. You are right that something is about to happen, but only your grandfather knows and he is keeping his decisions private. At least I am not one he holds any confidences with. Perhaps my closest friend, your father knows, but then he would not tell even you. Your grandfather, the Doge, must approve before trusted confidants can spread information."

Martinella, "You must go before we are missed. I will send word when we can visit."

Oberto walks off toward the city gate and gets an acknowledgement from the guard on duty that signals approval that Oberto can pass. In the distance the underbrush seems to move as the lovers head in separate directions.

Simone, "Sister! I thought I saw you out here."

Martinella, "What are you doing out here, you little spy!?"

Simone, "I am really not a spy. Your secret is safe. I had my own meeting on the next hill when I spotted you here with Oberto."

Martinella, "Your own meeting??? I think you are just a little spy who wants to get paid off to keep quiet."

Simone, "Why do you think that? I have my own life and my own interests. What you do is not really interesting. You are too consumed with your own importance. Just because you are a tiny bit older than me..."

Martinella, "Well if that is true, then we can just walk in the gate together and be seen just being out for a walk in the warm summer evening."
    Two two siblings then entered the city gate. The hills were now quiet. At least that was the belief of the two of them.

Act 1 Scene 4

by NorseThing

The scene: The Townhall with the entire Council of Nobles present.

Doge Martino, "Greetings. I have asked the most noble of the citizens of this Republic here today. I had earlier had some discreet discussions with some of you at my home. I do not want to keep secrets, but often it is best to discuss ideas with only a few than risk variance early among the many. Our modest republic needs to grow or we risk the Holy Roman Empire once again taking interest in our affairs. I do not mean just the growth within the small city walls of Genoa, nor do I mean to grow simply as a kingdom with our trading brothers in Pisa. So I am ordering the fleet to transport our urban based garrisons from our united republics as well as a portion of the island castle town garrison to be ready to board our ships. Fresh garrisons must be recruited and trained so that our fine towns are not without a good defense. Even my personal cavalry bodyguard as well as my son's and General Spinola's will be active participants. Where we will be headed will be announced, but not before the campaign begins. This meeting is now adjourned."

There was no discussion. Most of the nobles stood up as the Doge strode out the townhall doors into the main plaza. The Doge spoke to no one in particular, "Some day this small townhall will be replaced with a great palace, but today we must take the first steps to earn such a building."

Act 1 Scene 5

by NorseThing

The scene: The Doge's private residence in the entry loggia.

General Spinola, "Pardon the evening hour, my Doge. I must speak to you about your plans. It would seem dangerous to leave Genoa in the hands of some of the merchant families when you honor your son and I to be with you on this campaign. I know the military in both Genoa and Pisa back you. My concern is about the other elements of power in a republic. Much can happen that could threaten your position as the Doge. You saw at your announcement that many of the nobles did not stand as you adjourned and left the townhall. This is a dangerous. Warnings of things to come."

After a pause without the Doge making a comment, the general continued, "Perhaps your son should remain in Genoa while you and I lead the campaign. Or perhaps your son and I should lead the campaign while you and a better trained garrison remain in Genoa. I know you hope for a quick victory, but remember the problems we had over a decade ago in North Africa. Even the union of the two republics was threatened despite our mutual fear of the Holy Roman Empire taking a renewed interest in our affairs. Only by allowing the Pisa ships to gain the plunder did the union remain intact as we withdrew from that adventure."

Doge Martino, "Yes, there is risk with any endeavor worth attempting. I am not going to risk all of our assets. We are going to recruit and train a new garrison for both Pisa and Genoa."

General Spinola, "I have not been in you confidence before this campaign begins, but you are both my Doge as well as my friend. I want your interests protected."

Doge Martino, "My interests are well protected. I have not shared my decisions with even my son, the Councillor. I do not think your interests are so pure however. I have known for some time of your interest in my granddaughter. I am not going to test our friendship. I will authorize you to stay in Genoa at my personal residence during this campaign. My granddaughter and grandson are going on tour of Italy, so they will not be at risk at home. They are my true assets. I will not risk them."

Content Emeritus

Interesting developments! Forbidden love, signs of treachery and subterfuge. Oberto Spinola seems to be a intelligent man even in politics even though he is a military man. The Doge seems to know all, which is a good thing if you want to rule effectively.
    I'm liking this a lot!

I'm enjoying this, it seems that Martinella and the Doge have secrets - and that General Spinola's secret desire is known to the Doge. Creating an AAR in the style of a play is an interesting experiment - as I see it, a successful one.

Act 2 Scene 1

by NorseThing

The scene: Doge Martino is alone shipboard in a private cabin. The fleet is preparing to set sail from the Genoa anchorage near the docks the next morning. The sun will be rising over the hills of the spine of mountains that runs down the Italian peninsula to protect the coastal kingdom from other Italian factions further east.

Doge Martino, "Hello my beloved. I was hoping to see you before we lifted anchor."

Gianetta, "I have never once missed wishing you well as you sailed of from our home."

Doge Martino, "No, you have not. I always value your advice in these quiet meetings away from the others."

Gianetta, "So why are you taking on this campaign? There is a great possibility that you may not return.”

Doge Martino, “I am not yet an old man who must sit in my palace and watch other younger and more active men make their marks in Tuscany. Tuscony and the broader Kingdom of Genoa must expand to survive in the modern world of today. Pisa, Genoa, and a small island with more goats and sheep than citizens is not large enough to compete with the rising naval powers in the Mediterranean. Even Venice thinks of themselves as incredibly weak today and will most likely expand. I do not want their expansion to be at our cost. Even Milan is dangerous because they do not have a port for a navy.”

Gianetta, “I understand your concerns for the kingdom. But it is important to not push your grandchildren too hard or too early. They will have a long life ahead. Let them grow to enjoy what you have already provided.”

Doge Martino, “I will give your advice a very serious bit of thinking, but tomorrow I set sail. Even today as the day is begun, the ships are making the final supplies to be stowed before will sail. Tomorrow, the world will become more aware of Genoa.”

It sounds like Doge Martino is very determined to go ahead, I wonder how his grandchildren are doing after Gianetta's concern for them. It seems that the Doge inspires affection and loyalty (despite the disloyalty of some nobles), as well as concern for his family members.

Even though Gianetta seems to have said goodbye to him many times before when he sailed away, it sounds like Gianetta's feels that she's saying goodbye to him for the final time.

Act 2 Scene 2

by NorseThing

The dawn of a new day. Bright. Sunny. A gentle breeze. The perfect weather to set sail on a great adventure.

Doge Martino calls for General Oberto Spinola as well as the commander of the navy to his cabin aboard the anchored flag ship of the Genoa navy in port. “Nobles, we are changing plans. I had previously outlined privately my intentions to General Spinola. I am making this change, in part due to his excellent suggestions. I want General Spinola to take command of the army as we have assembled on board the ships. Admiral, you shall bring this army to Marseille where the good General will encircle and besiege the town until they submit to the authority of Genoa. Do not remain near Marseille though. These waters are teeming with pirates. These pirates need to be dealt with, but not today. In a few years, we will have a larger navy able to move our armies where needed and also a navy capable of ending the piracy that has always seemed to infest the Mediterranean. The true strength of our kingdom is and will be a reflection on safe shipping for our merchants.”

“I have already sent an urgent message to my son and your heir to the throne. It may have been in haste to plan on sending my granddaughter, Princess Martinella, off to visit in Venice. I am often overly protective of my family and my dearest young family members such as the Princess Martinella should not be put at risk. I may have left on what will be many years of campaigning. I still may do so, but not today....”

The Doge pauses for effect and to judge the reactions of those present.

He continues, “Thus... General Spinola, you will have the honor of leading the initial force and I will follow up in two years with more men if the siege does not bring the people of Marseille to their senses. You now know my wishes and you have your orders. The honor of Genoa sails today with the two of you.”

It sounds like the Doge has the wisdom to follow good advice; I hope that General Spinola will uphold the honor of Genoa!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast