Thread: invincible greek army composition

Default invincible greek army composition

I just wanted inform others of my army composition as sparta and any greek faction. I found this army invincible and can defeat any army in campaign normal difficulty. as sparta its 16 spartan hoplites, 4 heavy cavalry. thats it. Its built for the offensive. I send my hoplites to engage the enemies infantry and cavalry, then send my heavy cavalry to take out their missiles. Then i surround the enemy with hoplite wall, so no one survivies.

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Default Re: invincible greek army composition

Quote Originally Posted by suvorov777 View Post
    I just wanted inform others of my army composition as sparta and any greek faction. I found this army invincible and can defeat any army in campaign normal difficulty. as sparta its 16 spartan hoplites, 4 heavy cavalry. thats it. Its built for the offensive. I send my hoplites to engage the enemies infantry and cavalry, then send my heavy cavalry to take out their missiles. Then i surround the enemy with hoplite wall, so no one survivies.
    This tactic is good, it also works with the Romans. At the time, I successfully used it in my Roman companies. Only I don't have 4 cavalry units, if you count the General's guards I have 3 of them. The Roman heavy infantry engages in battle with the enemy units, while the cavalry bypasses the flanks and destroys the enemy archers. Then comes what I call an "iron sack." Infantry surrounds the enemy with a dense ring and destroys almost everyone.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander78 View Post
    This tactic is good, it also works with the Romans. At the time, I successfully used it in my Roman companies. Only I don't have 4 cavalry units, if you count the General's guards I have 3 of them. The Roman heavy infantry engages in battle with the enemy units, while the cavalry bypasses the flanks and destroys the enemy archers. Then comes what I call an "iron sack." Infantry surrounds the enemy with a dense ring and destroys almost everyone.
    with my roman campaign in DEI i usually uses a different method, my army is like that : General(best Shock cav), 7 Principes(late) or Legionners in late reforms, 5 any mix of Skirmishers as the terrarin, 1 balista, 2-3 Cav Shock, and the rest light Aor units

but in my Greeks campaign (with macedon or epiros or athens) i usually uses the might of pikes and Lancers ... just as my pure army both veterans and cost efficient.
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.E View Post
    with my roman campaign in DEI i usually uses a different method, my army is like that : General(best Shock cav), 7 Principes(late) or Legionners in late reforms, 5 any mix of Skirmishers as the terrarin, 1 balista, 2-3 Cav Shock, and the rest light Aor units
    This makes sense, but I did not see the need for such a large number of skirmishers, I bet on heavy infantry, which can easily get to the enemy, overcoming blows javelins and arrows. I wonder why you only use a single unit of ballista? I always use two ballista in my armies, just one squad ballista can not always cope with the solution of the problem in the siege for example.
    Last edited by Alexander78; February 11, 2019 at 02:49 PM.

15 super heavy phalanx units, form them into a circle with pikes out, and in the middle of the circle put 5 units of heavy armored archers or slingers so they could take out the pesky skirmishers coming your way

and make sure your General has buffed up Second wind abilities to keep troops fresh.... it will take forever, but you'll end up winning
    Last edited by Sagat; February 12, 2019 at 09:56 PM.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Sagat View Post
    15 super heavy phalanx units, form them into a circle with pikes out, and in the middle of the circle put 5 units of heavy armored archers or slingers so they could take out the pesky skirmishers coming your way

and make sure your General has buffed up Second wind abilities to keep troops fresh.... it will take forever, but you'll end up winning
    Or use the borders of the map as an invisible wall and line your pikemen up in front with archers etc in behind across one of your starting corners, it will funnel even the largest enemy force into you're kill zone and prevent the enemy from firing projectiles into the unprotected backs of the men in your circle, also pretty effective with a shield wall

I try and not use the tactic to much though it works in pretty much every TW game

Quote Originally Posted by Krieglord View Post
    Or use the borders of the map as an invisible wall and line your pikemen up in front with archers etc in behind across one of your starting corners, it will funnel even the largest enemy force into you're kill zone and prevent the enemy from firing projectiles into the unprotected backs of the men in your circle, also pretty effective with a shield wall

I try and not use the tactic to much though it works in pretty much every TW game
    Kinda sucks that I discovered this hack early on in Rome I and Medieval as well and pretty much in all TW games I played.
    I have to constrain myself not to cheat, because it is a cheat.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by HorseArcher View Post
    Kinda sucks that I discovered this hack early on in Rome I and Medieval as well and pretty much in all TW games I played.
    I have to constrain myself not to cheat, because it is a cheat.
    Me too I remember watching a youtube video of a unit of modded 300 style Spartan Hoptiles vs a large Parthian army and that was how I learned about it, it is pretty much a cheat as it does restrict the AI ability to flank, usually I will only try and use it if I am well outnumbered with no retreat, I won't lie I have needed to use it more lately trying DAI mod for the first few campaigns as the ai usually attacks in force but at least they will meet up if they have multiple armies and usually form ranks/missile barrage before attacking so it isn't so one sided for the defender.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Krieglord; September 07, 2019 at 02:22 PM.