Thread: For those that hate AA

Default For those that hate AA

Be not afraid. The rich have your back.

If your kid isn’t smart enough to get in on his own cognisance then pay for it.
    Last edited by Gaidin; March 13, 2019 at 06:47 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: For those that hate AA

i clicked the link and didnt see any black ppl wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Caduet View Post
    i clicked the link and didnt see any black ppl wtf
    The black people aren't rich. I mean, really.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The one thing I'm scratching my head over is University of Texas. I mean most of the others carry name clout that makes your (first) four year BA/BS more valuable than mine from Eastern Michigan University at eye catching. But UT a state school in the south? Sure they have some good graduate programs but that is different. But outside of that in the state college gig the University of Michigan or Wisconsin Madison easily carry more weight. And in the right field Texas A&M or Iowa State (that being Ag or Engineering) for example.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

What does this have to do with AA?
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    What does this have to do with AA?
    Your sarcasm is full of .
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

OK, what does this have to do with AA?
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I don't know about that Alcoholics Anonymous is what I thought also when I saw the title and there is no mention of Affirmative Action in the OP article. At least I didn't see one. I also don't understand why there should be one.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

OK, what does this have to do with AA?
    The point is obvious the Affirmative action of being wealthy.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

It wouldn't be wrong if these parents had just straight up paid the schools extra to take their kids. That would be beneficial to everyone. Bribing administrators cheats the school and other would be students, hence the corruption charges.

-Ella Hill

It wouldn't be wrong if these parents had just straight up paid the schools extra to take their kids. That would be beneficial to everyone. Bribing administrators cheats the school and other would be students, hence the corruption charges.
    It would be wrong even if it was a straight up payment. You are still saying money allows access and cancels out lack of merit.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I didn't know this thread was about affirmative action.

I don’t see the point of the thread. What does cheating for college admissions have to do with affirmative action.

If you want to talk about affirmative action we could talk about Harvard discriminating against Asians and the resulting lawsuit.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...sian-americans

”Jim, you can’t go to Harvard; you’re Asian”.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    It would be wrong even if it was a straight up payment. You are still saying money allows access and cancels out lack of merit.
    Paying an institution extra (usually a lot extra) to take on a feckless son helps build the institution and makes more opportunity for everyone. This is taking money from the un-meritorious rich and directing that money to support the meritorious. You object to this?

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I didn't know this thread was about affirmative action.

I don’t see the point of the thread. What does cheating for college admissions have to do with affirmative action.

If you want to talk about affirmative action we could talk about Harvard discriminating against Asians and the resulting lawsuit.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...sian-americans

”Jim, you can’t go to Harvard; you’re Asian”.
    The point is this was just the most egregious end of the wealth cheat. Consider some of the sports that were used to justify the cheat, they work when you don't cheat either. I don't know about NI but the number of kids who have an opportunity to excel and rowing is well sorta white and sorta wealthy and sorta went to a prep school. Athletic scholarships are in general annoying since they involve shaving standards in all cases typically. But since most of the elite white ones are not feeders for the NBA or NFL there is no pressure to pass on your degree or just coast or get injured because you know you are really in the minor leagues not college - your shot is the draft, not your general studies BA. Let's also recall most Americans can't endow a university building and get their kids in.

Paying an institution extra (usually a lot extra) to take on a feckless son helps build the institution and makes more opportunity for everyone. This is taking money from the un-meritorious rich and directing that money to support the meritorious. You object to this?
    I do (object) because than feckless son can use a degree he never should have got to further his career. But realistically I accept that reality. So I also don't object to other forms of affirmative action.

I do (object) because than feckless son can use a degree he never should have got to further his career.
    It's interesting that you assume admission to college equals a degree from college.

-Ella Hill

So affirmative action lets kids go to college based on the color of their skin, while white kids need to bribe their way in. That is what the OP was implying. ( assuming there is not black kids in the scam as well...)

All it does is tell us how bad the education system is in America, that both groups need alternative ways to get into higher education.

There is such a thing as private colleges ( at least in my country) if you can get at a public one, you go to private if you have the money. And sufficient grades ( they are lower then public faculties). How this validates affirmative action, is beyond me.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; March 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    The point is this was just the most egregious end of the wealth cheat. Consider some of the sports that were used to justify the cheat, they work when you don't cheat either. I don't know about NI but the number of kids who have an opportunity to excel and rowing is well sorta white and sorta wealthy and sorta went to a prep school. Athletic scholarships are in general annoying since they involve shaving standards in all cases typically. But since most of the elite white ones are not feeders for the NBA or NFL there is no pressure to pass on your degree or just coast or get injured because you know you are really in the minor leagues not college - your shot is the draft, not your general studies BA. Let's also recall most Americans can't endow a university building and get their kids in.
    Why are you bringing skin colour into this, what about the Asian, African, Arab and Indian undergraduates?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer the captain now

Closed, pending improvement of the OP. Every thread needs to be based on a detailed description of the event and its political undertones, the opinion of the original poster and question that will facilitate further debate.