Thread: Latin pronunciation suggestions/advice/sagely knowledge

Tiro

Default Latin pronunciation suggestions/advice/sagely knowledge

I've been playing a neat game called E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. It's set in a scifi dystopia with some factions being greedy, and others ascetic, a lot like Warhammer 40k in an fps-rpg style. The guys you start out as are called Culters, a hermetic warrior cult who syncretizes the knowledge they can muster to form a transcendent view of life. I named my character Vercingetorix, after the Gaul chieftan who was defeated by Julius Caesar and taken to Rome for execution. Please help me understand how this name may have been pronounced.

VERCINGETORIX
    Ferˇrous (fĕr'əs)
    Kind (kīnd)
    Ghetˇto (gĕt'ō)
    Reichs (rīks)

Is that close? The "v" should sound like "f" right?

Default Re: Latin pronunciation suggestions/advice/sagely knowledge

as classical latin, it would afaik be pronounced as: wehr-king-get-ohrix

so v is w, not f

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

According to Wikipedia, his name was pronounced [wɛrkɪŋˈɡɛtɔrɪks] in Ancient Latin, which concurs with what I would've read it like.
    Something like water-earth-rolling r like in modern-day Italian-kiss-ill-n-garden-earth-t-omit-rolling r like in modern-day Italian-ill-x
    I mean, you could enter it here and get a result which I guess is acceptable (if you imagine a Human with no English accent saying it): https://itinerarium.github.io/phoneme-synthesis/
    It's difficult enough to describe sounds through text only.
    Last edited by Elendil 03; February 02, 2019 at 04:04 PM.

To get a fairly accurate picture of pronunciation of foreign languages, one should become a bit acquainted with the phonetic (or phonemic) notation as in Wikipedia quoted by Elendil above. Sometimes native English-speakers are at a slight disadvantage because of the complex and intricate sound system and spelling conventions in their language.

Elendil does a good job in explaining, but errs on the open-mid unrounded front vowel ɛ. It is the vowel in American English words "bed" or "set", not the one in "earth". The "o" sound does not exist in English but it corresponds well to the sound in Spanish that is written with "o".

Edit: "o" apparently does exists in some varieties of English, but not in American or British Received Pronunciation. It is generally helpful to look up the specific sounds in Wikipedia according to the phonetic spelling to get some examples from different languages. Like the one in "bed":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-m...nrounded_vowel
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; February 02, 2019 at 04:58 PM.

Tiro

Huh, OK. I'll work around with this wikipedia chart, thanks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Latin

Oh, and about "x," was that present in ancient Roman, or an addition through later Empire by Greeks and barbarians? Is it, in English, understood to be "ks?"
    Last edited by Bob69Joe; February 02, 2019 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob69Joe View Post
    Oh, and about "x," was that present in ancient Roman, or an addition through later Empire by Greeks and barbarians? Is it, in English, understood to be "ks?"
    Yes, the Etruscans and Latins adopted that letter as shorthand for "ks".

In case you get more into languages and start reading the international phonetic script, be wary that there x stands for the consonant sound in German "ach".