Thread: CTD's have definitely to do with Steam

Default CTD's have definitely to do with Steam

Hello to every player of ACW 3.6.2!

I have managed to find that the problem of CTD's in ACW 3.6.2 has definitely to do with Steam. I received constantly CTD's while attempting to play campaign\battles in ACW 3.6.2 version. Then trying to play La Montee de'la Empire 4.2 on NTW I received exactly the same CTD's, despite the fact that I previously never had CTD's in LME 4.2. Then I restarted the PC and played LME on NTW normally and then, when I tried to play ACW, and it run normally without CTD's. Does anyone has a hintwhat is happening with Steam?

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: CTD's have definitely to do with Steam

As in by normally, you mean without steam running at the same time? how far into the campaign have you got?

I managed to complete a campaign on VH\H level with the CSA without having any kind of loading CTD's, as long as I firstly played LME 4.2 at least for a few minutes (!). The CTD's regarding cannon firing and massive battles unfortunately persist, but the aforementioned trial indeed has helped me to complete a campaign and play the majority of battles without a problem.

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

i'll try to replicate it in the next couple of days, do you get the same effect from just playing napoleon without mod?

To be honest I have not tried it. Ever since I download a mod, the vanillas are a thing of the past for me.

SR-71's Avatar Civis

Hi! I don't understand how did you maged to play without CTDs... Only restarting? Closing Steam (but you need it to play!)? How?
    Thanks on advance
    Jimmy Dix: I'm really good, man. Maybe I could take your daughter out. What's she like?
    Joe Hallenbeck: She's like thirteen years old, and if you even look at her funny, I'm gonna stick an umbrella up your ass and open it.

I'm far more certain that the battle CTDs might have something to do with the cavalry flags. You see the version stated to be the most stable was 3.4 which didn't have those yet. At some point somebody requested cavalry standards and the devs said it didn't work back then as it caused crashes. But later somehow they were able to add them. I'm not quite sure which version that was. But I'm sure those crashes started appearing when the cavalry flags came around. I recall my friend had a monstrously huge battle (30k soldiers) without a crash but if I remember correctly there was no cavalry in that battle. So I've already messaged Trig and asked him if he is able to create a version without the flags, we will see if he responds. Would be great if more of us could test it so we can have a clearer result.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Tentato View Post
    I'm far more certain that the battle CTDs might have something to do with the cavalry flags. You see the version stated to be the most stable was 3.4 which didn't have those yet. At some point somebody requested cavalry standards and the devs said it didn't work back then as it caused crashes. But later somehow they were able to add them. I'm not quite sure which version that was. But I'm sure those crashes started appearing when the cavalry flags came around. I recall my friend had a monstrously huge battle (30k soldiers) without a crash but if I remember correctly there was no cavalry in that battle. So I've already messaged Trig and asked him if he is able to create a version without the flags, we will see if he responds. Would be great if more of us could test it so we can have a clearer result.
    The cavalry flags might be the culprit that's causing a CTD, which reminds me about the cavalry in ETW that has an animation issue.

That should be easy to test if the cavalry flags is causing a CTD or not. Just use the version that is crashing and start a custom battle with cavalry then start another custom battle without cavalry.

Should the battle with cavalry crash at the same time the other battle without cavalry doesn't crash then it's likely the cavalry flags is causing a CTD.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    The cavalry flags might be the culprit that's causing a CTD, which reminds me about the cavalry in ETW that has an animation issue.

That should be easy to test if the cavalry flags is causing a CTD or not. Just use the version that is crashing and start a custom battle with cavalry then start another custom battle without cavalry.

Should the battle with cavalry crash at the same time the other battle without cavalry doesn't crash then it's likely the cavalry flags is causing a CTD.
    Good idea, I haven't thought of that. I'm going to install 3.6.2 again and post the results.

I think I've had crashed without cavalry present. Also the cavalry flags is a port over from IS, don't think they've had crash issues.

Worth exploring though.