Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 Things Medieval 3 Would Need

Default Re: 10 Things Medieval 3 Would Need

Very good video, i agree as well

A larger more detailed campaign map, a range from (West) Iceland, (North) most of Scandinavia - Khanty-Mansi & Tomsk in Siberia, (East) India - Tarim Basin, (South) Sahel/Niger River/Somali Coast - Socotra - Sri Lanka areas
    More landscape and vegetation variation to represent the numerous ecoregions of the map

More architectural variety for the numerous diverse cultures and cities on the map (Both campaign map and battle map)

More regional resources

WH2 map is large and very detailed, I'd imagine WH3 to be even larger. So adding a larger map for a historical title should've be impossible.

Senator

A better battle AI would be nice ,I played some Three Kingdoms recently and the battle AI is still making the same errors as in Medieval 2.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    A better battle AI would be nice ,I played some Three Kingdoms recently and the battle AI is still making the same errors as in Medieval 2.
    Don't trust a hope. They have not the brains they require to achieve that. If i was you i would ask to reach MTW-1 AI that was more complicated than the one you compare with 3 Kingdoms TW.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

If we're going to have again building slots for castles / cities, restricting them to 6 max... no good. MTW 1 had unrestricted building slots for every castle.

Also mod tools. Very important.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Think with AI, is transparent they have been reusing the same one over and over again since a long time with some tweaks and patches here and there. At this point ita really hard to see them starting from 0 (which they should have done since a long time ago), or opening up that part of the code "so the community can fix it" for them. Since it "works", in the same sense as demolishing an whole house using exclusively a single small hammer would work too, they will just keep chugging along with it, updating it to the point it "works" with the next game installment, introducing new and I must admit, hilarious bugs with each iteration, until someday it will gain self awarenes as a malign entity, take over the nuclear arsenal of the world and promptly do nothing with it, while assembly a huge army of... roombas somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Was it an accident that CA Australia that created STW, MTW1 and M2TW was demilished by the mother CA after M2TW release? Was it an accident that since that game AI and hundreds of other features simply disapeared from TW games (they may were property of the Australian branch that gave no permision to re-used again). Was it an accident that after the 1st release of M2TW CA England called coders and scripters like Lusted and Darth Vader to try to fillthe gap?
    Was it an accident the angree responce of Darth Vader for Lusted's preference iver him because he believed that he was treated unfair? Was it an accident that since Shogun II Darth Vader was the most succefull AI transformer against the entire CA/SEGA team included Lusted him self? WAS it an accident that since M2TW we have no real AI in all its aspects in a single TW "vanilla" game? Was it an accident that CA/SEGA "hired" modders to lie in their Rome II reviews here in TWC inorder to make sure bigger sales but they and CA/SEGA never apologise for those lies?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I dunno. Was it?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

All I really want is good scripting and modding support, surpassing Medieval 2's base potential. With that, it doesn't matter as much what CA creates as they would never really satisfy everyone, and would instead create the opportunity for things greater than themselves. This is not a slight, as there is no single development team that can match the passion of an invested community who will burn workdays for free to reach their dream. Alas, this is not probable from a business perspective. I think nothing short of a fan-created initiative will make it happen. I don't want to add on to the pessimism, but I don't think it really matters what specific things I want to add or remove if the overall experience is much the same.

As for scripting capability, check the engine overhaul project subforum.

I'm afraid that's not quite an answer at this time for me, as it needs to age + evolve and currently lacks multiplatform friendliness.

The Total War franchise can and should do more with advances in processing and rendering power imho.

1. Customisation, customisation, customisation. Let’s face it, we all love to infuse something of ourself in our online / digital worlds ... be it unique personas, avatars, etc.
    Games that have incorporated this have generally fared better historically, all else considered (STW II MP was a standout in the franchise for me personally). For an age of personal heraldry this is a no-brainer.

• Heraldry customisation - full heraldic design (emblems, colours and patterns),
    • Player customisation – Physical appearance / inheritable genetic traits system (eg CKII)
    • Unit customisation - Special unit (retainers) stat (training) / appearance (eg Special order heraldry, special equipment fit-outs and training (within realms of reality and number limits) eg. Melee or Missile ..Heavy Cav, Light Cav, Heavy infantry defence, Heavy infantry assault, etc etc)

2. Improved diplomacy (including complex marriage proposals, economic support, military support) with real consequences.
    3. Cutscenes / dialogue scenes - For main events (death or injury of main characters, climate, etc), messages / reports (would love Heralds), and character interaction (if not a full cutscene, a dialogue scene akin to Bannerlord ... Throne room anyone?). Something to personalise the experience and add ambience.
    4. Dynamic map / battle synergy - Attack from a northern hill on the map, the battle map reflects this.
    5. Lots of senior historic characters (lords and ladies) with historic heraldry.

my2bob
    Last edited by PSYCHO V; March 14, 2021 at 03:10 AM.
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

Foederatus

TEN THINGS ONLY???????????????????????????????????????????
    Don't cheat me!!!
    Medieval 3 is a LEGEND OF A GAME!!!!
    I have HARD TIMES trying to find another game who survived that WELL...
    with still mods making it living FOREVER..
    I think CA perfectly KNOWS THAT and they keep 'Medieval 3' as their BEST LAST SHOT IN BUSINESS ..for their 'sorrow' time...as their only way to resurrect 'again'...in case of..troubles with sells...
    AND IN CASE THEY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW, HOW TO DESIGN MEDIEVAL 3 ....a title that they can't 'ignore' HOW MUCH would CRACK SELLS OF ALL TIMES,
    ...here is my contribute for WHAT they should do for us...

First....enhance Medieval 2, do not 'change' it in its main UI ....we WANT IT POWERFUL..not 'different'....

Here is MY LIST of things, in order of importance...
    Oh, by the way..I am not native english, so please forgive my bad English here

1] CUSTOMIZATION...mods gave Medieval 2 incredible life after 'death'...so the more you can customize, the longer it will live...no doubt..modders did incredible things, PLEASE give such talented guys MORE and BETTER TOOLS

2] MULTIPLAYER...multiplayer is another masterpiece in game's longevity...online battles and campaigns must be improved in all directions for multiplayer:
    campaign admin should be given more powers, and security protocols against 'cheating'...

- allow campaigns by email where battles can be 'frozen' till a real opponent is available to play them by ONLINE BATTLES..game should allow any player to 'port' a battle to battle editor, and to send to a human opponent a prompt to join. ...opponent may come either from a friends circle or online...for example...during my turn I realize i need to fight 3 battles before my EOT...it's 21:00 GMT...I whatsupp my friend at once..."hey are you ok ? there is a battle awaiting you...please run the game and come online" "No dude, I am outdoor, sorry" "ok, what about tomorrow?" if he answers YES---> Ok I save my turn, I open again tomorrow, and I connect with my friend, we will play the battle, I achieve results in my campaign....(in turn my friend can be just occasional online player, or a member of my same campaign).
    on the contrary, if my friend denies "NOPE, TOMORROW I AM AT WORK" -----------> in this case I am given two chances: or I play against AI, or I look for another casual player from internet.....

- allow campaigns where two or more friends can join the SAME faction in email hotseat...eventually against other human players who control other factions...game allows rules for sharing units, money and so on between players of the same faction....typically campaign menu sets how much money from royal treasure are 'available' to all those who join the same faction and who is the main ruler....in which order they play...also main ruler may - in game - decide to 'assign' units, or region control to another human player of his own faction..so playing a turn for faction A simply means, player 1.A loads turn....plays all units of faction A is allowed to control...when it's done, he sends turn to player 2.A ....so turn x for faction A is still active, but now player 2.A is in charge for turn progress...when all players of a faction did their own, x turns end for faction A and the last one can send turn to player of faction B.
    this sounds INCREDIBLE EXCTIING FEATURE...how many people would play the ROMANS against barbarian hordes, within a chain of command for the same faction???
    of course it would be nice to 'introduce' some role-playing features....for example one player may 'rebel'...forming a new faction...ruler player may forbid certain action, like money availability..and so on...

- allow campaigns to recruit players from internet introducing some features to form circles of 'trusted' players..campaigns will still be played by email turns, but I am allowed to look for available players online...

3] GET RID OF SOME GAME LIMITS: number of regions, factions, religions, units, bla bla bla.....modders decide, but many of them were mad trying to overcome some game limits...WHY? we have incredible computers now, limiting faction numbers is RIDICOLOUS...
    also if I want to assassine my units or general or agents, why SHOULD I BE FORBIDDEN????? let me decide! if I want to 'sack' one of my towns??? let me drastically decrease King's authority..but LET ME DO IT!!!
    IMPROVE BATTLE EDITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! allow me to introduce whatever units I wish ALSO with reduced numbers!!!!!! that will allow many to use medieval engine to simulate tons of board game campaigns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let me IMPORT/EXPORT battle units after a battle to create a new one 'linked' to the previous one!!!
    Why family members are allowed ONLY 4 children???? why I can not 'change' their names without modding? I can even change my faction name in game, but I can't change their names

4] STRATEGICAL MAP MANAGEMENT should be greatly improved...allow us to build/destroy bridges (according to technology tree or events) allow us to build walls (limes) to place different kind of 'forts'...to destroy guard towers, to design some more land's usage (cultivating, mining, settling), to manage deeply resources, to open paths (roads) through forests with 'engineers' agents...of course such terraforming MUST be given limits to avoid people messing up too much maps readability (think to Civilization game where all map squares are editable..that's bad)... allow user to rotate/zoom strategical map. Allow diplomacy to 'discuss' borders...changing 'regions' border 'eventually'..

5] REALISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could NEVER STAND endless arrows from towers with no-one inside..if you don't wish to grab 'men' from units, then introduce a 'active' population to each settlement..meaning that town may provide a certain number of fighting men. During deploying you may 'assign' these men to defend towers, gates, and to generic combat. They have 'limited' ammo (another menu for town defences where I can 'stock' number of ammo, arrows etc that will be available for those men). They can not be controlled by player and they are not a game unit...you just see them wandering in your town streets executing your assigned orders to them, untill they go to panic and disappear in the fog of the battle...such men are visible, but they are not inside a unit...regular units will 'engage' them same way they do when pursuing a routed unit...with the difference that they are now delayed and may suffer some casualties from such defenders....animations show isolated fights...
    some of these men will surrender (and disappear) some other will delay regular units with some attrition...and of course regularly units should deal with these men to free towers..
    we WANT REALISM, CA doesn't need to invent too much...just use a bit of imagination and you got it!!!!!
    these men are like 'peasants' or maybe like militia...player may run 'trainings' in a settlement to improve their performance..(at different levels)(of course this is civilian garrison, never a 'regular' army...so they are always inferior stats in combat). Also guard towers or forts need such garrison AND AMMUNITIONS..you can grab required men from regular units which will consequently decrease their number...let's make an example: you may create a guard tower at location x,y....it is inactive..untill you move there a regular unit of 60 men (urban militia or peasants or archers, only lower classes allowed here). Tower needs 2 men to work...so once your regular unit is there, and you operate the 'enable' command, TWO MEN of that units are taken...the unit will now have 58 men and the tower is active...these two men will stay there untill another unit takes them back...(with available room for them, of course) or when enemy occupies the tower..then such two men will surrender and disappear...
    but if the guard tower was level 4, maybe there were 8 men inside..then 'occupying' that tower costs some attrition to enemy regular unit which gets some losses according to guardians original unit type...VERY SIMPLE, realistic and intuitive!
    you may even ASSIGN a regular unit to a town if you wish..that may not be the best choice..but at least you will produce better attrition when enemy invades..

oh..and PLEASE...when 'raining'...I don't expect explosives to work....or firing arrows...please...and also.. I GUESS...archers can't move IF they decide to use firing arrows...and also they has to be given' source' to make their arrows in flames from...I guess this source can't move together with them.......

oh..a unit in a battle MUST gain rest if IDLE no matter if close or far any enemy...enemy proximity should only impact their morale, not their stamina!!!

6] SETS OF COMMANDS FOR UNITS IN BATTLE: there should be MORE commands available for a unit in tactical battles...for example: follow that unit...or stay behind...or stay aside..so I can order spearmenA to move to x,y and to spearmenB to go where A goes, trying to arrive there while marching at their side (rears, ahead and so on)...
    I may order some archers to always stay behind spearmenA.. I may order unit to charge any enemy unit or to look for special class to attack (like cavalry for spearmen). DEFENSIVE STANCE order should WORK as an improved 'defence' if compared to simply being attacked when 'idle'...a unit may be ordered to defend another unit...that is...attack its attacker if that unit has been engaged...so I don't need to be 'everywhere' in a battle..or to freeze game to give obvious 'orders'..

oh..please get rid of 'special' skill for generals like "other units attack faster" or similar, this is '' for fantasy games!!!!! we WANT TOTAL REALISM...special abilities should concern resistence to losses in terms of morale, extra stamina to units in range or morale boost...nothing magic or supernatural, please!

7] GET RID of town/castles difference...simply create a buildings huge list (of course with editable values for influencing game parameters) AND A FILE where campaign admin can FLAG each settlement what can be allowed to build or not!!!!! castles and towns NOW SIMPLY turn to be two classes of the many ' 'available' buildings taxonomy...
    Let me try to explain this little better..
    Custom menu lists tipologies of settlements with editable labels...vanilla game shows : Castle type and Town type..each of them designed to allow certain buildings or others according to all we are actually used to be in medieval 2...I can EDIT this list by adding a NEW label ...say "bourg" where I set only certain buildings available for this class of new settlements...of course each campaign owns a settlements list, each linked to a class of buildings town, bourg, castle, village....
    but I am also allowed to DO even a very special thing...imagine this: I add a new label called "Rome"...with the difference that "Rome" is a 'special' label...
    in other words modders may decide EACH settlment or some of them which buildings are allowed in a town...indeed there exists an IDENTICAL LABEL "Rome" into settlment list for that campaign. THIS WAY I decide WHICH buildings may be allowed in Rome, Paris, Venice and so on....
    Of course this IMPLIES that a crazy designer MAY have Colosseum to be built in Salzburg...right?
    and....why not???? not nice and not realistic...OF COURSE...but....if you WISH to be realistic you CAN, if you don't wish, well, you decide!!!!!!!!!!!!! (customization is always the best thing )
    Modders, serious ones, will do great job here...I am sure!
    AS you may notice, a consequence is that I expect PLAYERS may CREATE new settlements...
    again, like for roads, to avoid horrible map messing, technology tree gives 'rules' and maybe customizable locations for a new settlement or road to be built!

8] BATTLE MECHANICS IMPROVED naval battles, of course...and 'armies'...armies are given a new parameter called 'brotherhood' (and need a general to be formed)...meaning they have better morale, and maybe better maneuvering in battlefield because of training ( training is a new feature for units to be introduced. Units can now spend their turn to train...a player not only recruits a unit, but also may 'train' it...a unit in training can not move, or fight (unless attacked). Not ALL units should 'answer' PERFECTLY my commands in battle...
    units behavior MUST now consider SEVERAL FACTORS...starting from General's parameters, to training, to brotherhood and of course to battlefield situations (overhelming enemy)(fight to death status, big losses, etc, etc). So not ALL spearmen of ALL factions (and from SAME faction) perform THE SAME....some are more lethal in fighting, some are better to move in good order, some other are more lazy, more messing, delayed and so on...) battle animation should reflect this and again CAMPAIGN EDITOR can set parameters for faction, for unit classes and so on...
    animation should BETTER reflect unit stats and battle situations...with realism as a priority..if some soldiers are just wounded, I wish to see them AS wounded...not 'dead' always...
    prisoners? a unit taking prisoners on a routing enemy, can't take 10 millions of prisoners alone...it happens my cavalry unit with 4 men, can take 400 prisoners just because they are all from routed infantry units!!! ...this is ridicolous...
    regular units may split to squads in town battles...interacting with fighting civilians, towers and so on...of course squads need to stay in some 'range' to each other..and some of them should always take care of their own general...

9] AGENTS TYPE AND ACTIONS: diplomats may exchange towns, or units, agents, or give 'temporary' ownership for towns, take hostages from royal family to get alliance, merchants may establish trade routs, sign commercial treaties for certain goods with other merchants, engineers may perform some limited terraforming...Rulers may move some population (with consequences in ancillaries or town parameters), assasins may kill our own family members or princesses..with some probability of creating skandals, some spies can turn into 'recon' duty for an army increasing its range of sight, other agents may perform as medics for an army, special units like wagons or horse may increase army speed...

10] THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Do not CHANGE everything else because Medieval 2 is ALREADY a LEGEND...one of the best thing I love about this game are....EXPLOITS...
    things you can do that game manuals never mentioned....this is AMAZING and made me learn new things EVEN if it's more than 10 years I am playing this game, giving me interesting advantage in campaigns against noob players, I LOVE THIS THING!!!

11] yes...11] trade, resources, buildings, all can be extended..a town/castle only is concerned with..population growth, level, public order, religion, why not adding loyalty, garrison, cultural, and some city building capability ? let me decide how to build walls and where...how to design roads inside my town...and so on...a little of city building, not too much..
    resources ...please make them 'town'-like...I have gold? let me 'add' buildings on it, concerned with gold..I have wheat ? let me build farm houses and so on...that is let me design classes of 'special buildings' pertinent to resources types...trade...let me add chances for merchant to create commercial trade routes for resources according to region availability...
    If a region owns woods...let woods be really there...
    let resources BE also parameters for a faction...if I don't have enough iron, I can't recruit high armoured units and so on...if I don't have enough wheat, I can't have too much population increase and so on....

12] GOVERNEMENT: YES, please introduce governement types..like in civilization...with a difference...governement types are 'more' concerned with characters..if I have a king...and I wish republic...it's not exactly ME who decides here...but mainly environment conditions...for example: I have monarchy...I then have a king...I can turn my government in Tyranny ONLY if my king develops special traits that are pertinent to tyranny (we already have something similar...we can't call a crusade untill we have developed enough papal favor!) ...
    samely we can't develop specific new government forms unless some conditions are achieved...of course chance to CHOOSE a heir DEPENDS on government type which in turn depends from some random factors or specific environment achievements factors...again all may be customized from campaign admin for specific factions...
    Same for religion conversions of course....let ruler free to decide under specific factors or circumstances...whether to change official religion or not..

13] VASSALS please improve vassallization options...actually it is so hard to have a 1-only settlement faction become your vassal despite I have 10-20 times its settlements!!!! how is it possible???? asking for vassals should involve better discuss conditions....a vassal may offer money, units, some town 'structures' availability LIKE it belongs to ruler...(for example, if my vassal owns an Assasing Guild in its town, while signing a vassalization I may ask 'control' of that structure....so I can 'build' assassins in that town to be at my orders...

14] CAMPAIGN REPLY: please ADD a TOOL that at the end of a campaign will show STATISTICS for all players (number of wins, losses, men lost, town lost, won, generals died, money created, enemy factions destroyed,list of rulers cronology with reason for death, fought battles, number and place and year for heroic victories, indication and a REPLY that shows all regions changes turn per turn achieved into the strategical map!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Allow then us to export these stats into a file.
    a hotseat would really enjoy this feature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This reply should be mp4 file...so that it is NOT depending on game engine version!!!!
    Allow game messages to be 'stored' and collected into a file...

15] INCREASE FACTIONS TYPOLOGY: usually factions are given a family tree, settlements, king's purse or they can live as a horde...difference is from christians and muslims only...ADD more REALISM to horde status and add some new forms of establishment...for example tribes or nomads would be great...such factions are given completely different parameters to live in the game...they differentiate for survival style...some of them only pillages all around, some just live as nomads (so they only place villages around, they don't have towns) ..such new feature would greatly apply to north africa, east and far east people...and of course hordes would be great in medieval 3...hordes are entire population moving to find a home...once they find, they 'turn' into classic establishment form...nomads are not hordes and do not have a classic establishment..according to entry 12] nomadics can be considered more as a government type than a different form of faction...

16] MAPS: as in Rome 1 remastered ( I already pre-ordered it) add new different insights of strategical map...with filters for population, culture, public order, etc.etc.

17] SIEGE: add some new tricks to enter a city...like building tunnels, provoking fires into town..entering unguarded passages by corruption, but also defenders chances to do something nice, like allowing some units to enter a sieged town or to escape...chance for a breakthrough that destroyes siege engines....(actually I can never destroy) with a wider range of options ...loosing a blitz from defenders should NOT necessarily mean the enemy wins the town!!!

18] SLAVES: slaves were common manpower for almost the whole human history...all such games should give some place to slaves....

19] STATS FOR GENERALS: we have 'command', 'dread, chivalry', loyalty, piety...isn't it time to 'add' something new here? of course we have traits and ancillaries, incredible feature, I love it...but if you add some more stats, consequently traits and ancillaries will gain wider range of effects...what should we add here?
    I have no big ideas, but maybe you may have better ones than me...
    what about charisma? reputation? morality? and how and where should these feature have effect?
    and why not adding a field for hieraldy? family? politics? this sounds even more interesting to me....a new field POLITICS to be filled by a specific range of customizable factions or colors whose impact may affect for example new goverment type once government concept is introduced.
    Why not?
    what would you add here? and with which effects?

20] of course.......more and more and muuuuch moooore.....but it's late and I must go to sleep now...sorry...

AND OF COURSE:

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO V View Post
    The Total War franchise can and should do more with advances in processing and rendering power imho.

1. Customization, customization, customization. Let’s face it, we all love to infuse something of ourself in our online / digital worlds ... be it unique personas, avatars, etc.
    Games that have incorporated this have generally fared better historically, all else considered . For an age of personal heraldry this is a no-brainer.

• Heraldry customisation - full heraldic design (emblems, colours and patterns),
    • Player customisation – Physical appearance / inheritable genetic traits system (eg CKII)
    • Unit customisation - Special unit (retainers) stat (training) / appearance (eg Special order heraldry, special equipment fit-outs and training (within realms of reality and number limits) eg. Melee or Missile ..Heavy Cav, Light Cav, Heavy infantry defence, Heavy infantry assault, etc etc)

2. Improved diplomacy (including complex marriage proposals, economic support, military support) with real consequences.
    4. Dynamic map / battle synergy - Attack from a northern hill on the map, the battle map reflects this.
    5. Lots of senior historic characters (lords and ladies) with historic heraldry.

my2bob

AND OF COURSE:

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    4: Direct connection of the strat_map model of a settlement to the one that player will confront in battlefield.
    6: Re-enstate of region infrastructure like ETW that would include better roads, border forts and watch towers separated than the one in the settlement building slots.
    7: Re use of the dismount abillity of mounted units inorder to use siege equipement like in Shogun II
    8: Re enstate of separate use of siege equipment when 2 or more armies besiege a settlement like in RTW 1
    9: Re enstate the abillity to capture enemy ships like in ETW and Shogun II
    10: Complete Modding tools INCLUDING map and strat_map editor.

AND OF COURSE:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post

Technical:
    - Work on 64bit systems only for the memory issues.

Strategic map:
    - Removed the limit on factions, units, buildings, religions and cultures, or at least increased to hundreds for everything, thousands for the units.
    - Being able to build several buildings at the same time in the same city.
    - Even better scripting, with more options that allows for killing specific characters (or characters with specific traits) and many other things.

Battle map:
    - Naval battles.
    - Amphibian battles.
    - Every mounted unit can dismount.
    - Control of at least 40 units per battle.
    - Units being able to "broke up" like in Cossacks games for sieges or street battles. Perhaps not into individual units but squads of 10/20/30 or so soldiers.
    - Garrisonable buildings, like towers, gates and keeps. Towers and gates not working unless you have soldiers in them (this works in context with the option of separating units).

- More than one city per province.
    - Logistic and supply system for armies.
    - Manpower and more deep population system.

Rome 1 Remastered means that CA/SEGA does NOT TRUST its curent developing team and tries to gain time to form a new one. So don't expect a Medieval 3 Total War untill the last developer of the curent team will be fired after the humiliation of the Attila Totalk War. CA/SEGA pays Facebook pages to say that Troy was the best TW game EVER MADE. From that you can understand how despert CA/SEGA is not that 3 stardegy games that will be released this year will include TW style real time battles.

Which ones?

Rome 1 Remastered means that CA/SEGA does NOT TRUST its curent developing team and tries to gain time to form a new one. So don't expect a Medieval 3 Total War untill the last developer of the curent team will be fired after the humiliation of the Attila Totalk War. CA/SEGA pays Facebook pages to say that Troy was the best TW game EVER MADE. From that you can understand how despert CA/SEGA is not that 3 stardegy games that will be released this year will include TW style real time battles.
    I'll bite.
    1. If Feral is a team that has already done multiple different projects for Rome and Medieval 2 while their current historical team has been off beyond Three Kingdoms, how would Feral's involvement indicate that it's an issue of trust?
    2. Why on earth would Attila Total War in particular be the reason for mass firing considering it's a reasonably stable title in their modern lineup despite optimization issues? What about, say, Thrones of Britannia? Your assumption is bizarrely specific.
    3. I'm not even sure what the last line means. 3 strategy games with real time battles? What's this?

This feels like a callback to the salt that lead many away from the forum in the first place, but doesn't have its roots settled in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Esker View Post
    I'll bite.
    1. If Feral is a team that has already done multiple different projects for Rome and Medieval 2 while their current historical team has been off beyond Three Kingdoms, how would Feral's involvement indicate that it's an issue of trust?
    2. Why on earth would Attila Total War in particular be the reason for mass firing considering it's a reasonably stable title in their modern lineup despite optimization issues? What about, say, Thrones of Britannia? Your assumption is bizarrely specific.
    3. I'm not even sure what the last line means. 3 strategy games with real time battles? What's this?

This feels like a callback to the salt that lead many away from the forum in the first place, but doesn't have its roots settled in anything.
    This means that CA/SEGA saw the failure of thecurent team. Attila's bizzare features continue to exist both in 3 Kingdoms and Troy. AI is more stupid than ever!
    I would chalenge you to play vanilla MTW 1 with Attila and compare AI and the feature that "ancient" game offers that Attila could not even touch.
    Questions to be answered if you know so much comparing to me.
    Why Shogun TWand MTW diplomacy features never apeared in future TW games? Features like spy reports etc.
    Why Rome I TW siege features never apeared in later TW games such saping , armies with siege equipmentof their own , swiming units etc?
    Why from Rome II and after settlements have to be without walls or with walls with huge gaps and melt by rain inorder the stupid AI to starm into a settlement?
    How was possible in Rome I to have 1 AI controled armies assaulting a city the same time and the "famous" success dev team of Rome 2 and Attila could not EVEN COPY THAT????
    INCAPABILLITY is my answer do ou have a more convising excuse?
    @Lord Baal
    1) Manor Lords
    2) Kmights of Honor 2 (with more realistic battles and sieges).
    When i will remember the rest i will post them be sure.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; April 05, 2021 at 08:47 AM.

Feral has done Medieval 2 work? Which?

Oh manor lords seems like a great game and surely will be, but despite the total war like battles, the scale seems small. It seems to me it will be kinda company of heros maps, but bigger, with sectors and what not, only with a bigger focus on the city building aspect.

Now, city building like that, adapted to Total War scale would be perfect.

Knights of Honor looks promising too.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; April 05, 2021 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Feral has done Medieval 2 work? Which?

Oh manor lords seems like a great game and surely will be, but despite the total war like battles, the scale seems small. It seems to me it will be kinda company of heros maps, but bigger, with sectors and what not, only with a bigger focus on the city building aspect.

Now, city building like that, adapted to Total War scale would be perfect.

Knights of Honor looks promising too.
    I think CA Australia created Shogun I, MTW 1, Rome TW and lalf made M2TW before mother company fire them. It seams that their work in Australia had some legal keys not to be used by the mother company again and i strongly believe that is the reason M2TW has half onlt feature of RTW and anyother TW game is worst.
    I still remember the hiden messages in MWT from your spy "the enemy gathers troops in your borders. It may means nothing but may means an invasion to our lands". Even that simple feature the curent dev team naver accomplished to copy! And remember one of them was a high awarded modder here in TWC! It seams that the awards he recieved were by PR and not by his true skills.

This means that CA/SEGA saw the failure of thecurent team. Attila's bizzare features continue to exist both in 3 Kingdoms and Troy. AI is more stupid than ever!
    The problem I'm addressing is that you're taking one event and linking it to the other when the context between them is far from the same.

Feral has created a mobile port of Rome 1 and a fairly deep level Medieval 2 linux port (which incidentally answers Lord Baal's question). They may have done more, but suffice to say they have extended experience for this and have touted their experience working with classic games in general. Their efforts are fully independent from CA proper. CA proper have split their attentions between the highly lucrative Warhammer line of games (which have influenced historical games in ways you surely notice), a 'historical' team, and a team for Saga titles, including Thrones of Britannia (iirc) and Troy (for sure). In other words, Feral releasing a remaster of a game in a generation they've already worked with says absolutely nothing about CA executives supporting or disliking their developers. I am partial to say the issues with the franchise are because the developers are given specific priorities and deadlines, and then told to do those at the expense of any real innovation. Your disappointment with modern CA is not a compelling enough link for CA themselves to complain because if Attila was so terrible and the following designs were more of the same, CA would not push out more games and make the call for the controversial EGS release. I think you might have it backwards. CA executives calling shots are the problem while the devs are probably doing things with what they're given. To call them talentless is disingenuous, and speaks to an ignorance of what is likely happening. I have no more objective facts on what happens in-house than you do. I do have perspective regarding how development works and I know problems tend to stem from leadership, not the bottom line. That is what bothers me about how you are addressing the subject.

I would chalenge you to play vanilla MTW 1 with Attila and compare AI and the feature that "ancient" game offers that Attila could not even touch.
    Vanilla Medieval 1 is a very different experience from its successors. You'll surely know this, the fact that modern TW better resembles Rome 1 and Medieval 2 than Medieval's gen. Rome 1 and Med 2 don't even have all the things Med 1 could offer. They offer different things. Your comparison should be within the same design style, that is, Rome 1 to the current day. In this I agree, CA has proven repeatedly unable to actually evolve features, and instead add/remove them while not making terribly great strides in the design itself. Most particularly Ai and siege design, the latter I still see criticized for their money blender, Warhammer. If anything I'd say they've gone for the least common denominator as far as campaign depth and battle design.

But the sad truth of all that is CA's ability to happily stay afloat in spite of all the decisions TWC regulars consider to be terrible. For one of you there are many more people who are perfectly satisfied or prefer the new generation. So what does that say? You can complain about sheeple or easily satisfied standards, but CA's business model naturally follows what keeps them going. If today's releases are what do it, so be it. Consider that wider picture, don't clasp on what they're allowing a side company to do in order to woo a much less lucrative fanbase left behind.

Why Rome I TW siege features never apeared in later TW games such saping , armies with siege equipmentof their own , swiming units etc?
    Between heir selection, manually inspecting cities on the strategic map without a battle, and the swimming units you mention, the golden standard Medieval 2 is the first title guilty of the add/remove feature affliction the company has had from nearly the start. Shogun 1 to Medieval 1, Medieval 1 to Rome 1 (subject to what I said above) I consider to be the only linear evolution of their design that kept virtually everything and then added on top. I argue Medieval 2 was the start of lazy design, and if anything Empire, even Rome 2 were somewhat more creatively ambitious (though both paid a terrible price on their launch days). So I dare say the problem starts closer to the beginning than you're giving credit. They learned early they could make things this way, and they continued to do so. Is that incompetence, or is that priority? To get things out the door the way they're budgeted and told to, even if it doesn't contain everything before and then some? If anything, aside from Warhammer it almost seems like they're punished by going outside of the box. Most profit with the least effort is the core maxim of business. Even at the start I'm sure the ambitions of the company were tempered by a desire to make money. They simply refined the practice. I don't fault the devs for that because devs do what they are paid to do as their job. It's modders who can afford to spend obscene amounts of time doing the specific thing they want without company oversight and generally without compensation. I don't want to argue little tidbits of what I've written in a back and forth one-up debate, I simply wish to offer the perspective that you are of course free to dismiss.

And to that end, I don't need your insinuations that I know it all and what must be your steepening thought that I am nothing more than a CA shill. I'd be disappointed if all I get from this is much ado, but I hope you'll take it as an alternative perspective from someone who has also watched the series for many more years than my TWC registration time would suggest. Perhaps I have it all wrong. I probably missed things and don't quite have the right idea on all issues. I do think heaping all the blame at the feet of developers on the coding side is too narrow to be the truth, and that there is more to consider with how Rome Remastered works. One thing I can tell you for sure that is backed by company admission, the driving force is Feral, not CA's proper teams. While CA may learn from what happens with the Remaster, this is all at a minimum direct expense to CA and likely costs barely any of their main company time to support. So I find Rome Remastered = rebuttal of their main team's efforts to be a stretch. At most an experiment, and I must admit, a bold move even for them to simply allow.

I would argue they tend to drop things too quickly (and always have outside the first games) the moment they don't go perfectly from the start and as a result have lost a good deal of nice ideas and features over the years as they re-budget to something else that's similarly below max potential in the next title. But again I think it's unwise to call this a competence problem, instead a leadership problem. Devs figure it out, they don't just forget how to do things. Breaking the AI skill ceiling is a matter of priority, and clearly it hasn't been set very high to date.

I can't make much sense of the unquoted bits aside from what I just touched on, forgive me for not delving into them and producing this word soup instead.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast