Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Total Guess Competition - Rules, Leaderboard & Commentary

Default Re: The Total Guess Competition - Rules, Leaderboard & Commentary

Younger members! Do you feel that the guess the game competitions would be better if it wasn't so much about old timers posting screenshots of their favorite games from back in who knows when?

Participation has been low and I would prefer us not to lose anyone due to Total Geriatric Center taking over, like Flinn once put it.

Should we in fact have two different contests for games? Guess the classic game from X/Y and guess the modern game from X/Y?

Now that I think of it, computer games pretty much started when I was a small kid. I have no immediate understanding of how it feels to forum members when games released around or before their birth are constantly brought up. And games are not like literature (yet) in the sense that age-old classics would be accessible and enjoyed by new generations. We cannot really expect someone to go through three decades of clunky and butt-ugly games so that they could have a real chance of recognizing them here.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Nope, no issues here. Not a big deal at all. Sometimes you know the game or have an idea, sometimes you don't. It's not the objective of the game for every single user to be able to compete in every single round. It was never my intention when I created the guess the game/cutscene threads for them to be delineated in the way you describe. I don't feel there would be any added benefit in doing what you describe, personally.

We cannot really expect someone to go through three decades of clunky and butt-ugly games so that they could have a real chance of recognizing them here.
    We also shouldn't expect people to be posting games that every single possible participant could guess. If that was the case, we'd be posting Minecraft and Minesweeper only.

I have no immediate understanding of how it feels to forum members when games released around or before their birth are constantly brought up.
    I do not care at all. It's part of the game that sometimes you might not know the game.

And games are not like literature (yet) in the sense that age-old classics would be accessible and enjoyed by new generations
    Respectfully, that's complete .

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Honestly, my main concern with adding more games to the TGC is that we struggle to keep active the ones already included; there would be another couple of games already existing that could possibly be added, but again they see little activity.

So, unless a very active new game is proposed, I doubt anything new will be added to the TGC

now, since this dropped on the last page

- One person posts a picture/question/riddle with any details the poster feels are necessary.
    - Everyone else tries to guess the picture/question posted or solve the riddle, whilst providing some details about their guess.
    - The person who guessed correctly then posts their own picture/question/riddle within 24 hours.
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, that the person who guessed correctly gets reputation from the original poster of the picture/question/riddle (or from another player/Gaming Staff if the OP cannot).
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, to post a hint every 24 hours if no one tried to guess it or in any case did not guess it right.
    - Anybody can take the turn if a picture/question/riddle isn't posted within 24 hours or if the person who guessed the last picture/question/riddle says that anybody can take his turn.
    - While no correct answer has been given, the member who posted a puzzle can pass their turn at any time. If after 2 weeks no answer has been confirmed as correct by the poster, any member can override the active puzzle by posting a new one. The staff/administration of TWC will at this point judge the validity of any outstanding answers to the superseded puzzle.
    - People are supposed to play fairly and to respect the other players and to do their best to ensure that the game keeps flowing. Blatant cheating, lack of respect, lack of input and so on and on might lead to the disqualification of the offending player for that round, this at the exclusive discretion of other players and/or Gaming Staff
    Akar and Sept are already ok with it, anyone else has anything to add?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Nope, no issues here. Not a big deal at all. Sometimes you know the game or have an idea, sometimes you don't. It's not the objective of the game for every single user to be able to compete in every single round. It was never my intention when I created the guess the game/cutscene threads for them to be delineated in the way you describe. I don't feel there would be any added benefit in doing what you describe, personally.
    Well, without any sneer or intention of being funny, that seems like a mature way to see it.
    Respectfully, that's complete .
    Thank you for calling it as it is! This is of course a game enthusiast site as well, so interest towards older games is expected to be higher than in the general population. Now that we established this, let's continue as we did.

Blog Entries

also, see here.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

- One person posts a picture/question/riddle with any details the poster feels are necessary.
    - Everyone else tries to guess the picture/question posted or solve the riddle, whilst providing some details about their guess.
    - The person who guessed correctly then posts their own picture/question/riddle within 24 hours.
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, that the person who guessed correctly gets reputation from the original poster of the picture/question/riddle (or from another player/Gaming Staff if the OP cannot).
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, to post a hint every 24 hours if no one tried to guess it or in any case did not guess it right.
    - Anybody can take the turn if a picture/question/riddle isn't posted within 24 hours or if the person who guessed the last picture/question/riddle says that anybody can take his turn.
    - While no correct answer has been given, the member who posted a puzzle can pass their turn at any time. If after 2 weeks no answer has been confirmed as correct by the poster, any member can override the active puzzle by posting a new one. The staff/administration of TWC will at this point judge the validity of any outstanding answers to the superseded puzzle.
    - People are supposed to play fairly and to respect the other players and to do their best to ensure that the game keeps flowing. Blatant cheating, lack of respect, lack of input and so on and on might lead to the disqualification of the offending player for that round, this at the exclusive discretion of other players and/or Gaming Staff
    It's been over 10 days, so I'm gonna implement the new rules; I'll copy them in the OP of every game included in the TGC

Blog Entries

And here we are again! I'm posting below the results of the last counting, which is updated to June the 17th 2021. Yes we know it's 3 months from now, but I've been away for some time and now we are trying to catch up. Next round of counting will supposedly be sometimes between now and Xmas

However, this time we've got a lot of new medals, I'm happy to see that the TGC has proven to be a good pastime for many of us

Gold Medal and 20 reps
    John Doe
    lolIsuck
    Kilo11
    Morticia Iunia Bruti
    Flinn

Silver Medal and 10 reps
    Sir Adrian

Silver Medal double up (Bronze + Silver) and 15 reps
    Septentrionalis

Bronze Medal and 5 reps
    Iskar
    makanyane
    skh1
    Grymloq

As usual many thanks to both Kilo11 and King Athelstan for doing the point counting

ps @lolI; mate I suppose you have reached the 60 points threshold in the Guess Where, isn't that so? Willing to provide me the links to points via PM?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Thank you at the Team for your service.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; September 15, 2021 at 05:43 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Congrats to fellow medalists and a big hand to everyone who keep our games going by participating or officiating. This is a team effort if anything is!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Indeed, it's very much a team effort!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Thank you competition team! Good work keeping this all running

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Thank you all and congratulations to all the medalists.

I believe I got the 60 points in "guess the movie" for the master guesser award. When I find time I'll compile the points

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Thank you all and congratulations to all the medalists.

I believe I got the 60 points in "guess the movie" for the master guesser award. When I find time I'll compile the points
    I'm pretty sure you did, but if you can provide us the links, we will appreciate that!

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I was wondering how to find out how close I was to one of those. I guess the only way is to just count up the points myself?

Blog Entries

Yes

if you remember we spoke about this not long ago: in the spirit of being cooperative, players will check their own points in single games, when they feel they are close or above the threshold of 60 points. Brig did that twice.

thanks

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm about halfway there in both of my own games, the utter shame

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

I'm about halfway there in both of my own games, the utter shame
    You ll get there, just don't get ninjaed.

Actually, that was my 60th win, makes it even sweeter

Could we change the practice so that competition points would be counted per posted round, not by right guess? The right to post is after all earned by giving the right answer.

In some competitions, it takes some time and trouble to prepare a round, and some members are in the habit of guessing right and then disappearing with the spoils, leaving someone else to do their work for them for no reward. That would change nothing else in the game dynamic except reward those who keep the game going. And it wouldn't make staff work any more difficult.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

That makes sense to me.