Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the world isolated the US, could this lead to its collapse?

Default If the world isolated the US, could this lead to its collapse?

Since the world is afraid to attack the US through force, can it attack it through its economy instead?

1.) The world will stop using the $.

2.) Trade, immigration, tourism, business, anything to do with the economy will stop flowing to the US.

3.) American businesses must shutdown and Americans living overseas are given 30 days to pack up and leave or face imprisonment and forced labor.

4.) All foreign businesses will shutdown and all skilled immigrants will leave the US.

Will this make the US collapse and breakdown into smaller nation states?

Also would this hurt the world's economy too? Would it hurt the world's economy for long? Would it hurt the world's economy more than it would hurt the US's? If the US does collapse, will the world be more peaceful and happy?

Default Re: If the world isolated the US, could this lead to its collapse?

It probably wouldn't be in the rational interest of many nations. Like I said earlier, getting rid of the US simply increases the risk of burdening oneself with another, worse, hegemon (or two, or three). It's not like "the rest of the world" is this peaceful, unanimous collective of noble savages.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    It probably wouldn't be in the rational interest of many nations. Like I said earlier, getting rid of the US simply increases the risk of burdening oneself with another, worse, hegemon (or two, or three). It's not like "the rest of the world" is this peaceful, unanimous collective of noble savages.
    Unfortunately, that. US is the least bad option among world's superpowers.

And due to massive US economy and its impact on world's economy, it would end up hurting other nations just as much.

Not really. America is a world of its own, culturally and economically. Largely self-sufficient. It might even by a net gain, long-term, to get rid of all foreign influences. The world needs America more than the other way around.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

There would be a lot of suffering in the first couple of decades and a great loss of life in the first few years, but no, it would not collapse, unless individual states decided to do so, which, even if they were allowed to do, would not be in their economic best interest.

The only suitable way for mitigating the effects would be implementing a great deal of economic planing by setting up quota production of food and energy, and, if necessary, by temporarily taking direct control of certain parts of the industry, as well as rationing in the first few years. This would only be necessary for a decade until US becomes an Autarky and would require the will and consent of it's citizens to implement such measures, however an Autarky is not a good economic state, at least not when it comes to the overall economic growth, as well as individual pursuit of profit. Autarky is only a means of survival when a state is cut off, willingly or not, from the world economy, it only makes sense if a State is very large with abundant resources and arable land, as well as good industrial capacity, which describes the US well.

The US has more than enough capacity to produce food as well as electric energy. When it comes to electricity, fossil fuels would have to be phased out until the reserves are depleted.
    The US would have to utilize it's nuclear capacity to the fullest, as well as building as many as possible hydroelectric, solar and wind plants. Transport capacity would be one of the major things hit due to the fact it mostly relies on oil, therefore vehicles should be electric, but due to the lack of batteries, they would have to be directly connected to the grid which would seriously hamper their mobility.

The main issue would be the lack of rare metals and minerals used in advanced technology, which may not be present on US soil, things such as, for example, lithium, one of the main ingredients for battery manufacture.

The World would be hit, no doubt, however, the most damage would be done to the financial institutions and advanced equipment and vehicle industry in the developed world. When it comes to the damage done to underdeveloped nations, those who's economy is based on exporting raw materials, clothing manufacture, electronic parts assembly industry and similar, they'd be hit much harder due to their inability to export those goods to the US, as well as the inability to buy advanced equipment and refined materials form the US, due to their low capacity to produce such items or refine their own raw materials.

Speaking of batteries and extraction of raw materials, If you cut DR Congo, Bolivia and Afghanistan from the World, and allow them to trade with each other, they'd be able, if they had battery production industry, to produce batteries, however, while they might be able to eventually set up decent food production, they'd be unable to produce many necessities, ie. medical supplies or equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Just answer the question View Post
    Will this make the US collapse and breakdown into smaller nation states?
    Who knows, would it make sense to disunite, when the whole World is against you?

Also would this hurt the world's economy too?
    Yes.

Would it hurt the world's economy for long?
    The developed countries that support US foreign policy would suffer for a few years, the underdeveloped longer.

Would it hurt the world's economy more than it would hurt the US's?
    Difficult to say, if by economy you only mean money, than probably not, if you include human suffering, it would be similar in the developed world, worse in underdeveloped.

If the US does collapse, will the world be more peaceful and happy?
    That would require that other peoples would never behave like the US, or more aggressively if they had the same power.

If there's no US what will powerful authoritarian countries, who feel very wronged by the West, whose press is constantly mocking their great leaders and refuse to acknowledge their eternal glory and prestige, as if we live in the year 1880, do?

Will they look at their much weaker and/or poorer neighbors and say, lets use our overwhelming might to bring our neighbors peace and happiness, or say something like this: We're not going to pretend that care about your human rights in order to gain your resources, we're honest people, we just want you to give us parts of your country which, frankly, are ours, we've ruled it for many centuries, and you snatched them in our moment of weakness, also we don't care how you run what's left of your countries, we just want you to do certain things when we ask you to.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω February 01, 2019 at 09:16 AM.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Not really. America is a world of its own, culturally and economically. Largely self-sufficient. It might even by a net gain, long-term, to get rid of all foreign influences. The world needs America more than the other way around.
    The world can survive an isolationist America. Many nations would welcome it, especialy the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    The world can survive an isolationist America. Many nations would welcome it, especialy the EU.
    Only if the EU got its act together and managed to stave off takeover attempts by (Eur-)Asian and African powers. And currently, they're not looking very impressive trying to contain Russian and Chinese meddling.

Well not economically, but if US lost its Allies from NATO or the Anglosphere countries, then it would be serious business.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

I mean the USA is in decline anyway, so I guess the answer would be "yes"

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

1.) The world will stop using the $.
    And who is going take the mantel of world reserve currency? I know I'm just dying to see people trust the Argentine currency they have not defaulted in what a decade or so-ish. Maybe the Yuan or the Rubble yep transparent government 100%. Trust the czar he can ride a horse w/o a shirt.

2.) Trade, immigration, tourism, business, anything to do with the economy will stop flowing to the US.
    OK that won't hurt people all over the place not a bit. You do realize the US is easily the largest exporter of food right.

3.) American businesses must shutdown and Americans living overseas are given 30 days to pack up and leave or face imprisonment and forced labor.
    To be replaced by what in 30 days

4.) All foreign businesses will shutdown and all skilled immigrants will leave the US.
    Why? its not like they were carried over as slaves I not sure you have a good handle on how skilled careers work.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    No, for its allies and especially Europe who lost its balls but what about the other many nations that it has oppressed?

Yes, the world isn't made out of one side good and one side evil and getting rid of it won't make the world a happy peaceful place but at least to many, their number one problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Unfortunately, that. US is the least bad option among world's superpowers.
    Many would disagree that it is the least bad.

Finally.

Yes, America is a super rich country but it doesn't have everything and also..... why is everyone so afraid of it? It is only one country, ONE COUNTRY! And no nation, not even the most powerful one can take on the world.

If we speak with one voice, we will be heard!

Unfortunately, so many are cowards. All talk and no action. The world seems to turn a blind eye to the suffering it has caused because of $ and would let it continue to kill and destroy but I'm glad people like you, Mr. 95thrifleman, exists.

So, when is the UK and EU going to do it?
    Last edited by Just answer the question; February 01, 2019 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    I mean the USA is in decline anyway, so I guess the answer would be "yes"
    The world should work together to make it happen faster.

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Well not economically, but if US lost its Allies from NATO or the Anglosphere countries, then it would be serious business.
    So why doesn't NATO and the Anglosphere countries do it then?

Finally.

Yes, America is a super rich country but it doesn't have everything and also..... why is everyone so afraid of it? It is only one country, ONE COUNTRY! And no nation, not even the most powerful one can take on the world.

If we speak with one voice, we will be heard!

Unfortunately, so many are cowards. All talk and no action. The world seems to turn a blind eye to the suffering it has caused because of $ and would let it continue to kill and destroy but I'm glad people like you, Mr. 95thrifleman, exists.

So, when is the UK and EU going to do it?
    Don't put me in with your rabid agenda.

I said the world could survive an isolationist America, I didn't say it'd be a good idea. It takes two to tango, the years of death and suffering over the past 70 years is due to America and Russia continuing the "Great Game" started by Britain and Russia back in the 19th century (can be argued it started as early as the late 17th.

Most of these conflicts and proxy wars wouldn't of escalated if America and Russia hadn't of picked opposing sides. It's naieve in the extreme to assume that if America suddenly did a full tortoise that another nation or bloc wouldn't just step into the power vacuum. Mot likely we'd see a cold war evolve between Russia and China.

The yanks have been idiots yes, they take a moral highground while ignoring their own glaring faults yes, but America is still a powerful force for good eventualy.

I tend to subscribe to Churchill's opinion of America: “You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility."
    Last edited by 95thrifleman; February 02, 2019 at 12:17 AM.

I said the world could survive an isolationist America, I didn't say it'd be a good idea.

....America is still a powerful force for good eventualy.
    It's going to be a good idea in the long run. You complained about their proxy wars and the human suffering caused by them for 70 years due to their "Great Game"....... it will all be over after they are gone....

Sure, people would suffer, I didn't say it would be easy but in every fight, sacrifice is required but those sacrifices will not go in vain if the world wins.

As for the second line, well maybe for the British since you've been partners in crime anyway.

It's going to be a good idea in the long run. You complained about their proxy wars and the human suffering caused by them for 70 years due to their "Great Game"....... it will all be over after they are gone....

Sure, people would suffer, I didn't say it would be easy but in every fight, sacrifice is required but those sacrifices will not go in vain if the world wins.

As for the second line, well maybe for the British since you've been partners in crime anyway.
    You really have issues reading.

I pointed out if America stepped out of the game, another would step in and it'll start all over again.

So you hate the British aswell now?

I pointed out if America stepped out of the game, another would step in and it'll start all over again.

So you hate the British aswell now?
    No because no country is as powerful and for as long as the world keeps a balance, the world will not face another America 2.0.

No.

No because no country is as powerful and for as long as the world keeps a balance, the world will not face another America 2.0.

No.
    Open a history book.

Greece-Persia
    Rome-Carthage
    The Spainish Empire
    The 1st and 2nd British Empires
    America-USSR/Russia

That's just the European/global section, don't get me started on the empires and power plays of central and eastern asia.

The "world" does not keep a balance, it never has. Powerful nations and empires have always risen, dominated and fallen to be replaced with the next. Hate the game not the playa.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast