Thread: Questions about Pop growth,Seige and unit exp

Tiro

Default Questions about Pop growth,Seige and unit exp

Hello!

I have been playing as Novgorod for about 60 turns. It has gone well in the begining but as longer I get in the game, the more frustated I get.

For exmpel most settelmetns in the game are now large citys and Fortresses everywhere on the map! I feel they are gorwing to fast?

My other problem is that I am really terrible at battle so I have it on easy(campiagn on hard). But for the life of me I cant take a fortress. I had a army of 4000 men with two generals. The defenders where 800 men some luthianian crossbowman, Baltic spearman and Ducel axes or what they are called and they had all two bronze experience! Does the AI recruit units with exp? Becuase the only unit that I get with the exp is the spear militia and I cant seem to find any buildings that can give more exp to units when recruited.

As I only hade like spear militias and woodsman with exp and some veteran horse archers and foot archers from prevoius battles. Rest of my army was new recruited infantry from eastern spearmen, Boyars, Druzhina(?) and I had some catapults.

Any way I launch my attack, sending forward the ram and the siegetowers(3) and my archers to trying to damage the enemy units on the wall. Ordering my catapults to shoot at the towers. A minute later everything whent to hell, my ram was destroyd, borugth up the second one that too destroyed, the third one managed to reach the gate. I lost two of my siege tower almost on the same time when the first ram was destroyed. The third reached the wall, however when my units reach the top they routed. Had one ladder group as well as soon they reched the wall and placed the ladders they routed. My catapults(2) did no damage at all unitill they where out of ammo -_-. I send my "elite" foot units the boyar and the druzhina(?) the managed to get up on the walls but routed soon after, guessing becuase they hade no exp.

Soo my only way in was the gate I managed to destroy. It become a big cluster . All men died att the gate..

Iknow some guilds can give Exp for units but are they anything else can? Mabey later ages?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Questions about Pop growth,Seige and unit exp

This is a kind of necroing, but somebody interested may have a look at this entry in the Titanium submod forum. I'd suspect that the SS6.4 code lingered in both submods.

Default Re: Questions about Pop growth,Seige and unit exp

I think the O/P needed to be a bit more patient.
    Fortresses aren't supposed to be easy to take.
    Before assaulting besiege for a few turns to reduce garrison.
    Need artillery to take out towers first before assaulting the walls.
    Once the towers are neutralised then you can send in your towers (pref either side of the ram) and ladders etc.
    Spear militia and woodsmen aren't the best troops for attacking walls, need more professional infantry for that.

TBH would have better to wait the siege out and then defeat the defenders on the last turn when they sally out.