Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New SAGA #2 (after ToB)

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: New SAGA #2 (after ToB)

Looks like CA altered FAQ
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

I think its kinda ironic that a dynasty warriors take on the Iliad would have been much better. I would buy that up.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-s...odysseus-guide

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Trojan Horse in form of votive ship will be unique to Odysseus.

“It requires you to be Odysseus or to own him – maybe you could confederate him – but he comes with a plan, which is to get a Phoenician vessel – which is horse-headed – to put a lot of offerings into it as if you’re making a sacrifice to the gods, and then rely on the Trojans to get the offerings back into their city,” Georgieva says. Of course, there are soliders in the ship – which you’ll get to select – and this scheme will lead to a special version of the siege of Troy, set at night, in which the gates are open and you start with some of your troops in the city already. It’s “a unique way to take over the city, and it’s relatively hard to take otherwise.”

Odysseus faction mechanics.

Georgieva also shared a few other details of Odysseus’s faction mechanics. “Mastery of the sea” is one of his defining traits – “probably a little bit ironically,” given his torrid journey home. “Each of our factions derive their unique mechanics from their leader, so Odysseus is able to deploy sneak bases in enemy territory where he can recruit and train troops, even though he doesn’t actually own the regions.” We also hear he’ll have unique strengths in coastal regions, “so he is an interesting faction to play, because instead of making one big blob of an empire and painting the map, you’re actually going to be striving for the coastlines.”

Oddyseus playstyle in battle

In battle, Odysseus is all about being sneaky. He “relies on hit-and-run tactics,” senior game designer Milcho Vasilev says. “A lot of his units can’t stand their ground for long, but even some of his starting units have precursor javelins, for example, which is a really strong weapon we’ve seen in previous Total War games. Most of his elite units are able to do really great ambushes by hiding not just in tall grass or forest, but in plain sight, and sniping enemies, moving silently, and so on.

“It is very micro-intensive, and I believe it’s one of the hardest factions to play because of that approach to battles. You really need to know what you’re doing. But it can be very satisfying once you see your plans spring into action and you’re actually managing to ambush and surround your enemies.”

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...is-fascinating

There are actually three horses, three Trojan horses in Total War Saga: Troy... the way we've implemented the horse is we took the three most plausible, most possible options and implemented them.

Earthquake

"The far fetched one is the allegory of the earthquake. Earthquakes are quite common in the area even today, and we have archeological evidence that Troy's walls were destroyed by an earthquake at the appropriate period of history in that time. So that was one of the interpretations, which is modelled into the game as a window of opportunity where you can attack Troy well after an earthquake because the walls are down, the garrison is weakened and you can just approach the city in a much more favourable way.

Siege Tower

"The other ways to approach Troy with a Trojan horse are with a siege tower that is shaped like a horse. We know that a couple of centuries later the Assyrians fielded such siege machinery, which is sometimes referred to by the animal names. So we see that probably in the Trojan War, this is like a prototype, a 'beast of war', we call it in the game. It's unlockable through a technology.

Ship filled with soldiers

"And the other, the third one, is probably the closest to the narrative, because it involves the same tactic: a wooden structure filled with treasure, and also hidden units. This though, again has a historical tint to it because we realised that in that period of time Phoenician ships were horse-headed vessels, and also all ships would have been used for devoting things to the divine, to the gods. So we are basically replaying this sort of scenario where a ship with a horse's head is filled with goods, and also hidden soldiers. And when you get to do that strategy, you play on a specific map that doesn't exist outside of the strategic map. It's during the night, the gates of Troy are open, and you start with several units inside the city. So it's a completely new scenario. And those three ways exist in the game and give you the opportunity to choose your own Trojan horse."

Religion system

Agamemnon..Diplomacy, Trading...

Campaign gameplay..Sarpedon, agents
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 13, 2020 at 06:54 AM.

The backlash and division amongst the community about this game is, unfortunately, a side effect of poor expectations management caused by CA's embrace of the Warhammer series and the success of WH I and II. People have been spoiled by those games and hardcore Warhammer/fantasy fans now expect every Total War title, especially this one, to have magic and monsters. Unless CA realizes that you can't please both historical and fantasy fans at once, I don't think we will have "true" historical titles anymore. I'm especially concerned about what will happen if Troy flops. Will CA focus on fantasy titles for a while? Will CA start mixing mythology and history more blatantly than 3K or Troy? I enjoy the Warhammer series, but a lot of Warhammer fans (especially on Reddit, Steam, and the official forums) expect everything to be catered to them and constantly put pressure on CA to deliver when they try to focus on other games. When CA released the last 3K DLC, Reddit was filled with questions about future updates for Warhammer II. Even when 3K was broken for a few weeks while CA was working on a patch, the primary concern was Warhammer. Hopefully, CA realizes that the best way to continue the Total War franchise is to compartmentalize both history and fantasy, but the social media mob and Warhammer fans may prevent that from happening.

I just wanted to get this off my chest. I don't think Total War will ever be the same because of Warhammer. I would love to be proven wrong though. I enjoy 3K, and I will probably enjoy Troy as well, but I just feel CA needs to stop trying to please fantasy fans all the time.
    Long live the Old Guard! Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Out of all the game eras out there Troy is the one where it makes sense to have hero focused game play with mythology factors. So far, they seem to have take a quite good realistic approach with mythological units. This is the one game where we don't have to debate realism vs myth in the way people have been. It would be weird if Troy was a game like Rome II or Atilla.
    The Armenian Issue

Odysseus + siege of Troy // multi layer/level walls

I actually looking forward to this game lol. The campaign is very pretty and so are the battle maps. Units are meh though.

Maybe if it recovers we can finally get Age of Bronze? P L Z

The fact that CA is giving this game away for free tells me all I need to know about this Title and my interest in this company. This an absolute garbage title. RIP.
    Last edited by stevehoos; June 17, 2020 at 07:14 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

New video - Siege of Troy

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

The more CA reveals about Troy, the less I am hyped about the game.

It has such a B-movie vibe. I am putting my hopes on Warhammer III instead lol.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Look at the amount of dislikes and the negative comments around it - it's surreal. So much negativity around it.

Also seeing the tree through the tower was a bit of a lol moment.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Yeah, facepalm moment. Like honestly nobody making the video noticed the tree? It is so easy to cut the moment or reshoot it with different tower...

Honestly it looks like really schizophrenic situation. Free initial Epic sales will be good but question is for long term sales, DLC sales...later steam sales.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

In the campaign preview video, there appears to be 13 factions playable. I remember only 8 heroes announced for the release (4 for each side of the war). Even adding 1 release day factions dlc, it seems CA has already worked on 4/5 factions to buy as DLC(s).

Honestly I am not surprised CA has already done a lot of DLC/cut content to be release soon after the core game. I mean, that's to be expected from a game free on release. Game service and all the anti consumer BS.

Actually...compare selection screen for Agamemnon and Sarpedon. Faction icons are different...And luckily there is shot with victory conditions for Agamemnon. We can see that while Sarpedon has there cluster of regions around Lycia, Agamemnon has the similar around himself...so those are probably important regions for that particular character. Something like initial vassals etc?

There is just 9 very same icons. 4 are Achaeans, 4 for Troyans + Troy city itself...plus 4 additional regions around starting position.

So it is not 13 starting characters, 8 so far + notice that Agamemnon goals are talking about Hippolita´s and Penthesillea´s Amazons yet they are not there as region icons..

Warning pretty big picture

Last edited by Daruwind; June 20, 2020 at 05:52 PM.

longer spears, unit icons, some balancing like Hector finally dying

Last leader is Aeneas

if you use
    https://www.totalwar.com/games/troy/#heroes
    and try to copy links for various characters pictures, each one is named...leading to
    https:// content.totalwar.com/total-war/com.totalwar.www2019/uploads/2020/06/01180029/Aeneas-1024x1024.jpg
    The rest of 7 characters is well known as of now
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 29, 2020 at 09:54 AM.

Paris vs Odysseus
    Last edited by Daruwind; July 01, 2020 at 10:59 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast