Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New SAGA #2 (after ToB)

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default New SAGA #2 (after ToB)

We got new blogpost about what are teams working on - January 2019:
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-t...6ZsSI7Dh2T46zc

During the next few months we’ll be keeping a watchful eye on Thrones and how the update is working out while the Saga team switches gears to begin laying the groundwork for the next Saga title.
    Just to keep record, this is Jack Lustenīs team, he is behind Fall of the Samurai (Shogun 2) and Age of Charlemagne (Attila) and lastly Saga game Thrones of Britannia (based on Attila)

We are still probably way early maybe even before actual pre-production. So this Saga#2 game can be released before or probably after Wh3. We will see Wh3 at the first probably around this time next year or later...

Still there are some question about Saga future:

1) Will the game be based again closely upon previous title?
    With 3K release, there will be three full 64bit TW games so it would be little strange if Jackīs team will again use older game as groundwork. However his team was able to fix Attilaīs performace problem and has now a lot experience with Rome2/Attila engine so who knows.. Wh1/2/3K all three have big stress on characters/items/spells/skills. Plus there is question about magic and sieges in Wh(s) and no naval combat in any of those three. CA stated the Saga games are about important points in human history. Slightly hinting that fantasy/scifi ...other settings are not probable. For example i have small suspicion that some research or early work or even idea of whole ToB might be from actual Attilaīs development. It could be possible dead way.

2) Will there be changes to standaloness?
    Personally I would love Saga to function like older game expansions, or to provide you an example - as Fall of Samurai. Standalone if need be, integrated in case of owning original game. While there are good reasons to be fuly independent (selling for higher price, avoiding talks about cut content, not having to test so large project with previous content...) it also remove some marketing options. Imagine such expansion for Rome 2 with its vast player base. If the game would add enough content/value. It would sell way better because so many are already hooked up. It could be sold alone or in very favourable deal like +Rome2 just for 5 bucks, or get Rome2 for pre-order.

3) Will they use some famous name?
    One problem of ToB is, the setting doesnīt sound cool enough even with current TW shows.. You have no really well known big name to put on the box. I know CA is using big names for following titles like Alexander, Napoleon, Attila but in this case this could be one particular change.

My personal idea would be to
    1) in case of next Saga being build upon 3K to be about Genghis Khan/Mongol empire
    2) in case of build upon older title to be Alexander/Diadochi wars.
    And yeah, those both scenarios are probably highly unlikely. :-) So feel free to speculate your own ideas...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Default Re: New SAGA #2 (after ToB)

when CA noticed DEI for Rome2 we got a damn alot of updates for Rome2, when CA notice MKTW for Atilla we Would get Medieval 3 Total War or "War of The Roses" or any nerish timeline of 13-16 century with a limited map.
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Genghis Khan or a Mongol/Song focussed game would be way too big to be a Saga title. I think if they want to build upon 3K a Saga title that they could do would be a Warring States Saga. The Warring States period was I'd say tied with 3K and the Song dynasty for the most obvious setting for a Chinese TW game. Making the Warring States a Saga based on 3K as opposed to a DLC for 3K would for one mean there would theoretically be a bigger budget to handle the period and two would also probably bring in more money since its so popular a period.

Quote Originally Posted by AHumpierRogue View Post
    Genghis Khan or a Mongol/Song focussed game would be way too big to be a Saga title. I think if they want to build upon 3K a Saga title that they could do would be a Warring States Saga. The Warring States period was I'd say tied with 3K and the Song dynasty for the most obvious setting for a Chinese TW game. Making the Warring States a Saga based on 3K as opposed to a DLC for 3K would for one mean there would theoretically be a bigger budget to handle the period and two would also probably bring in more money since its so popular a period.
    Problem is, this could be very well just campaign DLC for 3K. Why making whole new Saga game for it?

The next Saga could be a game changer.

I'm really pleased with Jack and his team's focus on historical fidelity in the art design. They clearly have some good researchers and care about their stuff. Their use of period art in the UI and detailed historical modelling of units and settlements shows a commitment that should set the standard for the genre. Attila brought Late Antiquity to life. AoC and Britannia did the same for the Early Middle Ages. Those are periods that have been confined to the university classroom and kept out of pop culture

They've been confined, in my opinion by game design. Most people don't know about Late Antiquity so a lot of gameplay features in Attila for example frustrated people that were looking for a Capital T Total War game with a new coat of paint. I understand that from CA's perspective, that's an important factor, and from Sega's, the important factor. Most people don't read Peter Brown's books, or are up on the latest research on the Carolingian military. The downside is that Britannia cut things that players don't like, even though they would have fit the commitment to authenticity borne out by the art.

What I hope is that going forward the ethos driving the art design carries over to game design. CA have had blog posts on DEI and Shieldwall, and I hope they start to see that a large part of the community cares about having a challenging game that also allows them to experience - and though gameplay as well as descriptions and events, learn about - a period of history.

More importantly, the runaway success of the Warhammer titles gives that part of the market who isn't into the granular historical stuff a game of their own under the TW umbrella. People who would be worried about in-depth historical accuracy, or complex features, or really liked Beasts of War and Daughters of Mars now have a series of their own. Add to that rumored underwhelming sales of Attila and Britannia, and I think they can tailor the saga and to a point historical titles to cater a more niche market, the people still playing Rome 2 because of DEI, keeping the playercount of Attila going through Ancient Empire and Fall of the Eagles, and putting amazing work into the 13 year old Medieval 2 to develop EBII and SSHIP.

I think the latest Rome DLC and the inclusion of two modes, one historical, one closer to Warhammer for Three Kingdoms is an indication that we might get that chance, and a reflection of the playerbase that has caused this internal contradiction in Total War to date.

If the new Saga title set in a historically and geographically limited distinct and limited setting like North American during the Seven Year's War, I think Jack's the guy to combine the atmosphere of watching Last of the Mohicans with the detail of reading the Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766. I think a couple years ago I would have been afraid that if we ever got a North American theatre of an Empire 3, we would have incredibly detailed Iroquois warriors that played exactly like Wood Elves. I'm starting to think that if they believe in the community, and swing for the fences they'll be rewarded.

I don't care what the period is, because I think if let off the leash Jack will do it right.

We got new blogbost about "what teams are working on Feb 2019"
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-t...TEz7nomFamDMgY

Saga Team – new project

There’s been a flurry of visits to our Sofia studio recently. In fact, members of the team just got back from being there all week – all because there have been some exciting developments as production continues apace.
    While Sofia works across all sorts of Creative Assembly projects, their biggest is our next Saga title. This week we passed milestone one on this game and we’re starting to see more and more of what it will look like. We’re becoming incredibly excited to be able to share more about this project with you in the coming year – stay tuned!
    So first change is, first Saga title was done by Jack Lusten (English based) team while Sofia team was working on R2 DLCs. Now majority of work is shift to Sofia team instead. We are just losing track of Jackīs team, thatīs all. :-) Anyway, CA is probably shuffling people all around all the time...

Second note is about time. More info will be revealed next year. First Saga game was in development 1-1and something year so if development of this second Saga installment started recently, it would be ready in second half of 2020? Anyway WH3 release date is around end 2019/beginning 2020 so this second Saga would be the next title after that. Next tent-pole game after that in 2021....

I'm personally hoping it will be in an area not done before, though, with Three Kingdoms now coming out, they are fewer areas left. One such place might be the Eastern Mediterranean BCE. Asia Minor, the Mesopotamian region, Northern Egypt and the Minoans. There were a lot of things going on before the Greeks, Persians and Romans arrived. The Assyrians and Hittites were pretty bad-ass for a period of time.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

It probably depents on general CA plan. We are getting 3K and Shogun 2 is not so old so probably another Eastern themed game could be ruled out for near future (except situation that 3K would be total super success bigger than WHs), next in line is Wh3 so question is, what would be the next tent-pole game. Medieval 3, Empire 2, Victoria? Empire was also great success and possibly another fantasy setting could be also option. Still for Saga I imagine things much more close to the ground but there is a lot possibilites. Antique is still popular so Alexander or Bronze Age Collapse sound great. If it is based upon 3K, they could use a lot resources in possible Genghis Khan scenario. ToB has quite small variety in units..cavalry is not such big part so maybe even ancient South America and clash of those old cultures? Iīm not sure that any gun oriented scenario is plausible for Saga, American Civil War even 30-year wars and others would require a lot of new models, animations. They probably had luck with Fall of the Samurai as Shogun 2 is close to Empire/Napoleon engine. That getting into this new 64bit engines....I can see guns for tent-pole game but not for Saga...

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

I really feel like it's going to be something far-removed in time, if not something close to outright fantasy. Nothing that deals with modern nation states or has ramifications in current politics. For that reason I don't see American Civil War happening, nor anything involving colonialism either because of the politically charged atmosphere in the gaming world. (ACW especially would be risky since games with confederate flags are being pulled.) I'm not taking either side in the matter, only stating the reality of the situation. The fan base is fracturing along many lines: fantasy vs. history, historical fidelity vs. modern political sensibilities, etc. What could bring everyone back together again?

As I've said before, I think the perfect melding of the direction they started on with 3K and what historical fans have come to love would be Trojan War era/Bronze Age collapse. The legendary lord concept and the duels that come with it would work perfectly for Homeric warfare. They could even have an optional "mythic" mode that allows some of the magic mechanics of WH to sneak in. They could also bring in Memnon and a historicized version of Queen Penthesilea as well as Dido, and thus make those calling for more inclusion happy without angering the historical purists. It's one of those "everybody wins" scenarios. It's the only title I see that could unite a fractured fanbase. And most of the historical figures involved already have wide name recognition. I don't see it as too big for a SAGA game (Although as ToB underperformed and consumers are rebelling against low-content titles with mostly re-used assets, for all we know the whole SAGA concept may be being tweaked or reinvented so we don't really know for sure what a 'SAGA' title is going to be going forward.) as it could be done with a map covering only the coastal eastern Mediterranean and Italy, with no more factions than ToB had and a similar style of warfare among all the factions.

That said, I'd kill for a Warring States SAGA title.
    Last edited by Skotos of Sinope; March 02, 2019 at 12:28 PM.

And probably will be something that they can recycle the assets from 3k, so Warring States seems to be the most realistic take.

I can see one small problem in such Warring state logic. CA needs the Saga game to be more different from current games. So it could possible catch the eyes of people. ToB was based upon Attila but between those two games lies Wh1+2 and lot R2 DLCs and 3K development. 3K is being release this year and will have at least 1-1,5 years of additional game content. So if Saga2 development is starting right now and will take 1-1,5 year. It will arrive just after all these 3k content. In such situation it would compate against 3K, 3K content and would be basically same mistake ToB did. Not offering enough difference to justify the price tag. It would look like yet another 3K DLC....

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Good point.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Icon1 Re: New SAGA #2 (after ToB)

I do not know why there is such restrictive for CA regarding this matter. This blog hasn't clarified anything for me. Total War should do a series of settings of which they intend to explore instead of keeping it all secret and hidden and cover-up. Let us know, because here this is a chance for CA to return to historical settings that they've never done or never expanded upon. I'm really not sure what is the next time period.
    Guess we'll have to wait next year. I want to know the time period!

But Total War must diversify. The Chola Empire and the Hindu Kingdoms of South-East Asia are a massive potential period to be done. Go to Korea! Josean during its golden age would be magnificent. Do a total war saga game where the Opium wars could have been won by the Chinese. Do a total war game where Mythological Ancient Egypt is expanding and conquering the entire region of the world! Why I wish RII had a Bronze Age Egyptian roster instead of the Hellenized version. So many periods, but go to Mesoamerica.

India's many periods, during the time of the Guptas, the Mahabharat, Mauryans would be great stuff.

I do not why CA do mythological India. This would be essentially Warhammer but in a fantasy setting of Indian Mythology rather than any Western take on it.

I mean CA is taking so much care to devote to Chinese market, don't forget India! India is already a rising power - and getting TV/Internet is so much cheaper in that country than anything else. I'd love if a game was set to be Ancient India's moments. Very nice.

We've not had a game covering the Aztecs, the Zapotecs, the Incas for a very long time apart from that excellent expansion we got in med 2. I sincerely want a whole America game for this. Its high time they too got representation.

We're still speculating, and I agree with Skotos and Douglas, I certainly want a Bronze Age total war game though not before the collapse, but during the height. That way they can have a classical and a fantasy mode - i.e if it was possible.

CA games have always had fantasy elements anyway.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; March 04, 2019 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wandering Storyteller View Post
    I do not know why there is such restrictive for CA regarding this matter. This blog hasn't clarified anything for me. Total War should do a series of settings of which they intend to explore instead of keeping it all secret and hidden and cover-up. Let us know, because here this is a chance for CA to return to historical settings that they've never done or never expanded upon. I'm really not sure what is the next time period.
    Guess we'll have to wait next year. I want to know the time period!
    Because current situation in gaming industry? And marketing strategy? Their own lesson?

Look at current trends how every trailer, info, demo is dissected and looked upon. Especially all negative stuff, because negative stuff is selling videos on youtube...On one hand you have thinks like Anthem and on other Apex. Iīm not saying one game is bad and second perfect, just that if community knew about Apex for the previous year, it would be just another Battle Royale game...from EA...People would be catious after BAttlefront II, Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefield 5.

It is the same in recent titles. Some information will start showing up like 6 month before release with info ramping up 1-2 months prior to release. So donīt expect changes just because you want to know. We all want.. ;-)

And lastly. CA learned probably from R2 release debacle and will not show things that might not be in final product. For now it is enough that another Saga is being produced. There is still not even SteamDB entry for it...

I would point back to original Saga blog:
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-tota...-announce-blog

Total War Saga games will be standalone spin-off titles focusing on exciting pivotal moments in history rather than whole historical eras.

Jack: With our big releases that cover entire eras, like Rome or Empire, we’ve been following them up with standalone games that focus on a single character’s life and the time around them; like Napoleon or Attila. But there are also these key, pivotal points in history which don’t necessarily revolve around a single character, and only lasted a few months or few decades at most. Such moments also tend to be constrained to a tight geographic area as well.

Sagas won’t be revolutionary new titles or introduce brand-new eras; they’ll follow-on from previous Total War games and inhabit the same time-period, or at the very least relate to it. But these are certainly Total War games.

Jack: They’re what I like to call table-flip moments in history, where events are in the balance and could go any number of interesting and unique ways. This makes them a perfect fit for Total War games, where we give players the freedom to depart from the actual historical events and explore what might have happened had things gone differently.

When you think of the possibilities in and around those moments, some of those really classic and inspiring moments of history, there’s vast potential. Civil wars, great conquests, rebellions and uprisings, religious movements. As with Total War traditionally, there’s an almost endless list of possibilities of time periods and settings for future Total War Saga games.
    I know this is old blog and CA might change the formulla a little, especially as this second Saga is being produced in Sofia but core distinction between games - tent-pole (eras), following names (great one character), sagas (point in history) is still there. This is reason why Alexander is probably off table but Diadochi war as result of his death might be possible. Why India, Aztecs and 30-years War are probably off as well.

But reading the blog, I mus admit that Warring state sounds like fullfilling the formulla...except the period was 250 years? +/- But then ToB starting date is 878 up to 1066.

And once again. High time of Antics is probably of table too. It is too long era however collapse offer unique opportunity to rebuild civilization. It is such point in history where you can justify what every city is level1, population is way down and basically everybody is starting again.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

It will be set in China. A few centuries before or after Three Kingdoms.

The whole point if Saga titles is to re-use resources of main titles in a slightly different location/era.

I do not understand the point in CA communication. The statements amounts to "we are totally excited to communicate about our next title guy we do not want to tell you anything at all"

Well just do not say anything then.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; March 05, 2019 at 03:49 AM.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Because current situation in gaming industry? And marketing strategy? Their own lesson?

Look at current trends how every trailer, info, demo is dissected and looked upon. Especially all negative stuff, because negative stuff is selling videos on youtube...On one hand you have thinks like Anthem and on other Apex. Iīm not saying one game is bad and second perfect, just that if community knew about Apex for the previous year, it would be just another Battle Royale game...from EA...People would be catious after BAttlefront II, Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefield 5.

It is the same in recent titles. Some information will start showing up like 6 month before release with info ramping up 1-2 months prior to release. So donīt expect changes just because you want to know. We all want.. ;-)

And lastly. CA learned probably from R2 release debacle and will not show things that might not be in final product. For now it is enough that another Saga is being produced. There is still not even SteamDB entry for it...

I would point back to original Saga blog:
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-tota...-announce-blog

I know this is old blog and CA might change the formulla a little, especially as this second Saga is being produced in Sofia but core distinction between games - tent-pole (eras), following names (great one character), sagas (point in history) is still there. This is reason why Alexander is probably off table but Diadochi war as result of his death might be possible. Why India, Aztecs and 30-years War are probably off as well.

But reading the blog, I mus admit that Warring state sounds like fullfilling the formulla...except the period was 250 years? +/- But then ToB starting date is 878 up to 1066.

And once again. High time of Antics is probably of table too. It is too long era however collapse offer unique opportunity to rebuild civilization. It is such point in history where you can justify what every city is level1, population is way down and basically everybody is starting again.
    I am not disagreeing with you at all here. I'm just frustrated that CA's marketing style hasn't evolved and they like to keep things secret which makes things endless speculation. Why should I bang my head in six endless months of frustration not knowing what will come? Delay show nothing and then wait. I'm fed up of it to say the least. I mean if they let us know the time period that's more than enough. But not showing anything later...its not nice marketing.

I once posted in the RII forum and was disappointed they kept on showing the same historical battles. They showed no campaign map information whatsoever. I was told to come back in 3 months.

And look what happened at RII's release.

Trust me, any new historical period would be a breath of fresh air, even if it isn't a period I like, that much I can accept. Isn't the Diadochi wars covered though in RII's timeline? I mean we've surpassed the starting deadline, and we're going head on heels where Raphia is about to start.

Warring States? Sure why not?

My arguement is that Total War can't stay in Europe often all the time. It's high time we move onwards. China is great. Korea? Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    It will be set in China. A few centuries before or after Three Kingdoms.

The whole point if Saga titles is to re-use resources of main titles in a slightly different location/era.

I do not understand the point in CA communication. The statements amounts to "we are totally excited to communicate about our next title guy we do not want to tell you anything at all"

Well just do not say anything then.
    My point exactly. They didn't take long to announce TOB.

So why not announce the time period at least?

Nikron's Avatar Senator

CA tackles settings and periods where there's hype currently, usually based on movies and tv series.

Now they focused on China with 3K which to me is such a waste of time. It already looks boring and childish like those free arcade games you play online. Are you guys really hyped in paying money and play that game for years? I wouldn't last a weekend before deleting it.

Their thinking must have been: "Oh China, 1 billion plus people, money".

Lets face it, anything with Romans and Greeks and their respective enemies will gain the most interest worldwide but this stupid policy of "doing smth different" is bringing us boring games (ToB) which are better made than RII.

I (and many others) wouldn't mind at all a Rome Saga focused around the Mediterranean, a Saga focused on the Middle East, and another Saga focused on India for example. That's the best Rome III you can get knowing the limitations.

RotR for RII was a decent idea but would it kill them to expand the map a bit more in all directions? Typical ToB mistake.

End result? Let's go back to playing DEI.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    CA tackles settings and periods where there's hype currently, usually based on movies and tv series.

Now they focused on China with 3K which to me is such a waste of time. It already looks boring and childish like those free arcade games you play online. Are you guys really hyped in paying money and play that game for years? I wouldn't last a weekend before deleting it.

Lets face it, anything with Romans and Greeks and their respective enemies will gain the most interest worldwide but this stupid policy of "doing smth different" is bringing us boring games (ToB) which are better made than RII.

I (and many others) wouldn't mind at all a Rome Saga focused around the Mediterranean, a Saga focused on the Middle East, and another Saga focused on India for example. That's the best Rome III you can get knowing the limitations.

RotR for RII was a decent idea but would it kill them to expand the map a bit more in all directions? Typical ToB mistake.

Learning other cultures other than our own helps us understand the world more. 😁

I'm neither Chinese, nor Japanese, nor Greek, nor Roman, nor Carthaginian, nor Dark Elves, nor anything remotely related to the cultures represented in all Total War but I have played and enjoy all the games which I then use to learn more about those cultures and history outside the game.

In any case, next SAGA will probably based on TW3K (unless CA decided to go Warhammer) rather than Attila again or older games. It might not be China, but most likely will use the heroes and diplomacy features from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wandering Storyteller View Post
    I am not disagreeing with you at all here. I'm just frustrated that CA's marketing style hasn't evolved and they like to keep things secret which makes things endless speculation. Why should I bang my head in six endless months of frustration not knowing what will come? Delay show nothing and then wait. I'm fed up of it to say the least. I mean if they let us know the time period that's more than enough. But not showing anything later...its not nice marketing.
    I get it. But I also get CA point of view. They want the customers to focus on next product. They tried last year with more concurrent product and what was the result? ToB felt short because history guys took mostly R2 content? It also due to ToB as whole but in the end too many products competing with each other...that is not the best way forward.

I once posted in the RII forum and was disappointed they kept on showing the same historical battles. They showed no campaign map information whatsoever. I was told to come back in 3 months.

And look what happened at RII's release.
    That was R2 launch. Now look how they handled Wh(s), ToB. Norsca for Wh2 was major issue yet this time they were honest and fixed it in time. Look at ToB, launch was also not impressive and while we would not expect a 3 major content patches. That was done. ToB is now way better. And finally look how CA tried to fix finally R2 after years..R2 launch was problem but lot things happened after that.

Trust me, any new historical period would be a breath of fresh air, even if it isn't a period I like, that much I can accept. Isn't the Diadochi wars covered though in RII's timeline? I mean we've surpassed the starting deadline, and we're going head on heels where Raphia is about to start.

Warring States? Sure why not?

My arguement is that Total War can't stay in Europe often all the time. It's high time we move onwards. China is great. Korea? Awesome.
    I would prefer shaking the formula. Like the Empire did with addition of Naval combat and whole gun era. It was not perfect but for me, Empire is one of the best games in series, despite all bugs and downs :-)

And I can see similar jump with Warhammer with focus on heroes, magic, monsters and items and all RPG elements.

For me, the biggest possible improvement is about battles. They are very same and while i can agree with unseen underlying features, I would prefere some more changes to it. Bigger role of army composition vs actual battle. More usage of terrain like bridges, garissonable buildings, creating temporal earthworks,deployables,...increasing army up to 30-40 units, multistage battles...

My point exactly. They didn't take long to announce TOB.

So why not announce the time period at least?
    This might be bad optic. CA said in winter that there might be additional content, around April-June-ish we know about R2 content/ToB and ToB was release next year in May. Give or take, we know something 1 year prior to release date and possible working time could be easily 1,5 year at least....Now with ToB result, CA might shake the formulla a little again. Plus We are still ahead of 3K release, WH2 content and WH3 will be up next winter-ish? We do not know if SAGA2 will be before WH3 or after it but if we speculate,that before...it would be next year around summer. So even with such speculation, there is still plenty time to hit 1 year countdown line and possible early information...heck I cannot even see SteamDB entry for that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post

Nikron you cannot cycle the same setting over and over. We have already two shoguns, two romes, two medievals,...CA had to do Empire, had to do Warhammer and probably even 3K. I agree that ToB results was not great but the core issue of ToB is not that it is bad game, it is about marketing and selling. If only it was stand-alone expansion for Attila liek FotS for Shogun 2. This alone combined with selling bundle with Attila for 5 bucks would be enough. Saving Attilaīs performance....

I mean. The main issue you are not seeing, not everybody would buy yet another Rome oriented game or Greeks, Alexander. If I was manager, my next step would be Empire/Victoria and after that finally Medieval III ;-) and meanwhile do some Sagas or content for older games...
    Last edited by Daruwind; March 22, 2019 at 11:57 PM.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Learning other cultures other than our own helps us understand the world more. 

I'm neither Chinese, nor Japanese, nor Greek, nor Roman, nor Carthaginian, nor Dark Elves, nor anything remotely related to the cultures represented in all Total War but I have played and enjoy all the games which I then use to learn more about those cultures and history outside the game.

In any case, next SAGA will probably based on TW3K (unless CA decided to go Warhammer) rather than Attila again or older games. It might not be China, but most likely will use the heroes and diplomacy features from the game.
    I'm not Roman nor Greek, but I'd rather play your Imperator mod for Rome 1

You're overestimating CA's ability to help us understand other cultures as most of the time their info is not historical or completely wrong, while sometimes they just guess.

There's Google Books and Wikipedia for basic knowledge on other cultures and a game should be focused that is interesting for the masses as not everyone is interested in spending their gaming time on a period or region they're not interested at all. So you might be in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Nikron you cannot cycle the same setting over and over. We have already two shoguns, two romes, two medievals,...CA had to do Empire, had to do Warhammer and probably even 3K. I agree that ToB results was not great but the core issue of ToB is not that it is bad game, it is about marketing and selling. If only it was stand-alone expansion for Attila liek FotS for Shogun 2. This alone combined with selling bundle with Attila for 5 bucks would be enough. Saving Attilaīs performance....

I mean. The main issue you are not seeing, not everybody would buy yet another Rome oriented game or Greeks, Alexander. If I was manager, my next step would be Empire/Victoria and after that finally Medieval III ;-) and meanwhile do some Sagas or content for older games...
    As I said in my previous post, ToB is a great game and way better made than RII and Empires yet nobody cares about Medieval Britain. Big part of ToB "success" comes from the Vikings (after the Vikings series especially) and from Brits getting a chance to play as their region. It has nothing to do with marketing and selling as I played it from my friends account and I never bothered opening it again. 20 turns were more than enough to get a feel of it.

And the main issue you are seeing is that you're trying to be too logical and thinking commercially while people's decisions is much more complex than you think. Don't you see how much feedback there's from fans looking at new releases and saying "if these new features and graphics could be implemented into Rome II". Everyone would love to get the best of Attila, ToB, WH, and 3K into a Rome II.

And that's what I said earlier, that they should do some Sagas on the settings that apparently everyone loves even though I'm sure releasing a new innovative Rome 3 (or just antiquity but different name) will make way more profit than you can imagine.

Look at DEI and the fanbase of Ancient Empires for Attila, as well as a recent idea to revive antiquity in ToB by bringing the time back and adding the Roman Invasion of Britain. Rest assured that if CA forgets about antiquity and that ToB mod ever comes it, it will make many people install ToB again and many buy it for the first time.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast