Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only one dish on the menu: fried trout

Default Re: Only one dish on the menu: fried trout

Eldred so far nodded, seeing sense in Rowan's word. It was obvious that he had not the courage to insist upon a slaughter unlike his twin brother.
    "I will accept, what Lord Rowan and Lady Jeyne in their wisdom, suggested, as there is no point in a slaughter", the Lord replied solely, before adressing the queen, "I'll leave it to the Queen to decide my further fate - if the crown sees in me a further obstacle, it shall be your decision to remove it."
    Afterwards he lowered his head, accepting so far her judgement. The battle seemed to be won before it even began.

Meanwhile Kirth hardly bothered what was regarding his brother. He solely eyed Gerold challenging.
    "I insist on a trial by combat to settle our debate, Rowan", he remarked with a glare, being confident with his own words, "I will fight for myself, so feel free to choose your champion, if you won't handle it yourself.
    Anything else, I will handle once I tower over your cold body..."

Keeping his blade ready, he waited on the response of the other knight. Kirth more than meant it.

Lord Kirth Tully - +2 Survival, +2 Duel

Gerold went to move forward and heard Thaddeus from over his shoulder, You are not a kin-slayer.

Gerold shrugged those words off and stood tall, battle axe in his hand. The spike in the air and blade to the ground, he stood sentinel, "Come now little flounder. It's you and me."

You and I, thought Robert Rowan to correct his half-brother.

Lord Gerold Rowan - +2 Duel

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Duel outcome: Rowan is victorious over Kirth Tully, although it's not an easy fight and Kirth did have the upper hand in some rounds. Lord Rowan ends the duel with 2 HP by the time Kirth is knocked down to 0.

(on a side note, I've also found that we need to purge some obsolete references to weapons & armor in the rules)

Gerold knew that Kirth Tully would not be easy to dispatch. He came from a noble family which would have afforded him all the proper training and equipment. He seemed to be a reckless blood craving arse as well, meaning he may leave himself open to a strike by being sloppy. Gerolds strength lay in his strength and under appreciated agility. He did not look like a man capable of moving around a duel well but he was not simply a stuck in the mud stone. Before a fight he always remembered something his grandfather had told him: Never show them everything. Lord Gerold Rowan began the duel lifting his battle axe above his head. By then the Lords and Queen had shifted to where they had clear views of the fight, allowing for some semblance of view from the retinues watching. His axe on high he shouted mightily “Honor Does Not Whither!” Those of his Houses retinue shouted it in return and pounded gauntlet to chest plate. Gerold has always lived in the light of the Warrior and many who knew him admired his ways. He was a commander by nature, a leader from the front. He moved forward with purpose, not carelessness, as he made his first move.

As House Rowan’s supporters cheered, Thaddeus stood silent. He could not support this fight though he could see the merits of it. Thaddeus looked between the Lords and Ladies to judge the impressions of all. His gaze lingered on the young Tully. The two of them were due for a long conversation. He looked to his son Robert but did not need to linger there. Robert did not hide his disdain for Gerold well. Thaddeus did not know where he went wrong with Robert. He had the potential to be a great Lord yet he was quick to criticize and slow to make decisions. Many son's Thaddeus had, but Mace left after robing Gerold, Nyles was a lazy courtier bordering on incompetent and his youngest son Luthor was frolicking about somewhere deep to the South. His grandsons had promise, but nothing was certain of children. He judged he had to live much longer to maintain the prosperity of his House, he was not ready to leave it in the hands of his offspring quite yet.

Robert Rowan sat uncomfortably mixed with the Lords and Ladies. He did not know any of them save for his brother in laws and truth be told he cared for neither of them. The only positive Robert could glean was that at the end one of them would lay lifeless.

Jonothor Rowan watched from a castle rampart. The oldest son of Robert, he rode for the prospect of war at his Grandfathers behest. At the request of that Grandfather, he was then confined to the castle once the army in front of them presented itself. There was too many men and if it devolved to a fight there would be no victory. Thaddeus did not want Jonothor to be there for that. Instead Jonothor now watched from a rampart, quietly torn as both men were his uncles.
    Last edited by Zeus Almighty; February 05, 2019 at 12:34 PM.

Lord Kirth stepped forward without fear as he held his sword with a stern expression. Remembering his lessons during his training, he made the first move against Rowan, though it was obviously a feint, as he expected Ser Gerold to swing his axe, thus avoiding him, while dealing a strike at the back of his opponent - probably a deadly one if it wasn't for Rowan to wear his armour. The Lord of Branstone's eyes gleemed with fire, as this was all he had looked forward. Glorious battle to prove himself, finally the chance to show the worth of the Tully family.
    Another blow was dealt to Rowan, as Kirth utilized the weakness of his foe's weapon in order to make swift attacks while avoiding the might of a battle axe - eventually his strategy ended the very moment, when Gerold hit him with an unexpected swing against the chest. Tully's breast plate probably saved him from the worst, but he felt out of a sudden how the world became out of a sudden painful, probably having recieved even some inner injuries. There was a crack at the spot where the axe hit, but Kirth had hardly any time to think and rather dealt another strike upon Rowan in hopes to take him down.
    In the end only the battle mattered.

Lord Eldred couldn't watch the scene and looked away the moment his twin brother was hit by Ser Gerold in the chest. Wheras other men cheered regarding the bloody fight, he couldn't find any glee of watching this spectacle. True, it was, what his father had wished to teach them as well, how to fight honorable as a true knight - and Kirth clearly learned these lessons. Yet, it was the bloodthirst he hated. In any matter, whether it concerned the war or this trial of combat.
    He chose no side, as he knew that in any case he had to mourn a family member, no matter the winner.

Gerold lunged forward at the clang on his back. He started fast but Kirth was faster. That was fine. Gerold has some in the reserve tank. He turned to face Kirth again, this time he moved even more deliberately. His swings were dodged by Kirth and Kirths moved largely blocked by Gerolds axe. He then caught Gerolds right flank. This wound caught Gerold unexpectedly and brought him to his knee. For a moment. The next moment Kirth’s arms began to clear his chest and Gerold, being deceptively agile, immediately took the opening. His axe split Tully’s breastplate. Gerold felt the glide of Tully’s sword against his arm and worked with it. He rolled right, pulled his axe from the Tully breastplate, brought it around and landed his spike to the back Kirths head.

Gerold looked at his arm and saw that the glide had been more than just that. His arm would need to be wrapped. Then he felt warmth trickle down his right flank and felt for his wound there. That one was meaty and would also need treatment. He lifted his axe in victory once more and then hushed the onlookers.
    “May the Seven look after his soul. But now the gods have spoken. Their favor proved his motives and actions to be dishonorable. ”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirth hardly had any reaction time, as the axe suddenly hit him. His reflexes were slower than expected, the last injury more or less took its toll. As the blood spilled from his body and the pain increased, Kirth knew that it was over. When Ser Gerold stood up, he himself was on his knees. Tully spit some blood, while he solely nodded a last time towards his opponent.
    "A fine duel - yet robbed by my birth right again", he merely cursed, "My legacy will..."
    He hardly found any words, as the strength left him slowly. Given the agony in his eyes, it was solely merciful that Gerold's next hit would finally give the warrior, who reclaimed his birthright his last rest.
    The Lord Paramount of the Black Riverlands had perished - only the future would show what fate his line would await.

"It's over", Lord Eldred merely replied once he was able to look upon the dead body, before adressing the Riverlords, "No matter the side he chose, I wish that he will be buried properly - with the honors, worthy of a Lord Paramount. He was after all my brother, no matter his ambitions. I assume that the Queen would see it the same way, unless her grace says otherwise."
    There was dead silence until some men finally removed the dead body of Kirth Tully in order to do as they were told.
    Kirth died the way, he wanted as his code of honor forced him to do so, Eldric secretly thought to himself, perhaps he was right when it comes to me, perhaps not. It seems though that the Seven disagreed...

"So be it"

Said the queen.

"Eldred, kneel"

She pointed to the spot of soil before her throne.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

In defeat the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands did as he was told. The reasons were obvious, as discussed before. It meant either breaking his oath towards Aegon or getting his people burnt.
    While it would most likely demote his children in the custody of Casterly Rock from wards to prisoners. A situation similiar to the one, Torrhen Stark faced, when the Conqueror and his dragons approached him.
    The Lord of the Riverlands knelt in front of Rhaenyra, admitting his defeat before the battle even began.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

And so the Riverlands fell to the dragons and the authority of Rhaenyra, thought Ser Robin Strong, as he had witnessed the events that unfolded before Riverrun. The duel that ended Kirith Tully's life, secured the rule of Eldred, and ensured the Riverlords fell under Rhaenyra's banner. The Strong had gathered men for Rhaenyra, watched as they fell under Kirith's command, and everything led to here. Now, where would the Queen go from here? Would she finally strike south at the heart of the Usurper or linger here for a bit longer? Perhaps go West and aim at the Lannisters? For now, he would merely watch and wait.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; February 07, 2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Lord Gerold Rowan stood proud on his field of victory. He was not without honor, as men came to take the body of Kirth Tully he help them pick it up off the field and place him on the repurposed vegetable cart. He looked on as his opponent cleared vision and turned back to Queen Rhaenyra. He paused only momentarily to bow his head to Eldred. Looking back at the Queen he decided that at next mention of Kirths children he would offer to take as a ward at least one at the Derring Downs. They had kin at Goldengrove, in Jonothor and Hosteen, sons of Marissa Tully and his brother Robert. He was a mere minor Lord, so if his request was rejected he was sure his father Lord Thaddeus would follow suit. He looked at the field of men before him and knew the Riverlands would be too dangerous to leave them under the guide of a Riverland House. The bleeding from his side and arm seemed to stop by now. He stood content with his axe held by his right hand with its head on the ground. He awaited judgement as Eldred went to his knees.

Lord Thaddeus Rowan let out a sigh of relief when his son struck the final blow. For a moment, things looked quite dangerous for Gerold leaving Thaddeus cringing on whether he would lose another son. Once victory was had he said only, Praise be to the Seven.
    Thaddeus was proud that Gerold won his duel in a manner befitting a true warrior. Now parts of the rest of the realm has seen the prowess and strength of House Rowan. Thaddeus's thoughts went to Kirths children. It only seemed right that the hand that took the life of the father foster the lives of the children. After all, no malice was held for his family by the Rowans. Merely the mans separation of the Riverlands. Listening to the words of the Queen he felt a chill by him. As Eldred walked and kneeled Thaddeus tightened his hand into a fist. He did not know where this would lead but he didn't like it already.

Robert was unimpressed by the duel in front of him and even less impressed by its victor. Robert stood bored and when Gerold won, some might have saw the look of disdain pass over his face quickly. Then he applauded like everyone else. Robert felt even more uneasy. After every victory, Gerold inched closer to fathers favor and Robert felt himself slip farther behind.

Jonothor slid to the ground once the duel had concluded. Watching one uncle fall to another uncle was something he could have gone a lifetime without seeing. To watch Eldred then go to his knees in front of the Queen was too much for him. His guard however lifted him to his feet and stared close and deep into the eyes of Jonothor. "Watch this boy, this is what the military life is. Lords fighting Lords for other Lords. People die. Best get used to it." He turned Jonothor around to watch more. More of what? That was yet to be seen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12